Double valvers: do you tune both valves ...

Bach5G

Double valvers: do you tune both valves ...

Post by Bach5G »

... every time you play?

Or do you just make sure the Bb is in tune and assume everything else will be ok?
GabrielRice

Re: Double valvers: do you tune both valves ...

Post by GabrielRice »

I know where all 3 of my tuning slides go and leave them there. If I need to move the main slide a little the others are usually fine, but if I have to move it a lot for an extreme situation I'll adjust the others too.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I pull mine out to the approximate spot I should be in tune for. I'll adjust from there. A small adjustment on the main tuning slide needs a small adjustment from the valve slides too.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

I tune mine to an F below the staff a hair sharp, same with D. That way I have room to adjust.
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Rarely do I ever have to adjust my valve slides. Only for some real extreme pitch/temperature changes in some groups.

I also leave them sharp as noted above so that there is room to adjust with the slide on all pitches.

Cheers,
Andy
Splendour

Post by Splendour »

Likewise my valve tuning slides are very rarely touched, and are both tuned a touch sharp allowing more slide wiggle room
Tromboned

Post by Tromboned »

I push all mine in when I put my horn in the case and pull them out at the start of each session. I know where they usually sit at room temperature but especially in the summer heat, I check to get it dialed in for all three slides.
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

I tune the Bb on the straight horn away from the bumper and the low trigger F under the staff at the bumper then I tune the second valve so as the TT3 ( low C ) is where the 4:th position g on the straigt horn is. I play dependant and only use the two valves for C and B.

/Tom
Last edited by imsevimse on Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I seldom adjust any of my valves. I tune them with a drone and then use the ear for the rest of it. Keeps things relatively consistent for me at least.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Tuning by ear means you're always reacting, which means you're probably starting each note out of tune. Best to adjust up front, and play with muscle memory. You still have to adjust because you're playing with other people, and the situation changes, but your point of reference should be in tune to start with.

Tune your valves with a tuner, and the adjust the main slide for each situation.

One of the problems with tuning two valves is that low F on the F attachment is usually already flat on most horns, and you've got to move out about an inch for C on the staff. So, I tune the F attachment all the way in (unless F is not already flat) and then use the second trigger slide to tune double trigger low D to be straight up in 1st (so maybe a tad off the bumper). That puts the second valve by itself where ever it puts it. Usually it means that you have a Gb/Db somewhere near flat 1st position (short cut to 5th position so close in is useful, but it's another adjustment to remember). You just have to remember the tendencies of all the partials on all of the valve combinations. My goal is to tune as many partials as possible in straight up 1st position, making sure that I don't lose any unplayably flat partials. You really can't use notes that are flat in 1st position, so that's wasted high-priced realty on your horn.

It's easier with a dependent horn, and you have to adjust if you're using tuning other than Bb/F/D

So in summary -
- tune Bb
- push F all the way in
- tune low D in 1st with second valve slide
- be aware of what you get with the second valve by itself
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

hyperbolica wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:43 am One of the problems with tuning valves is that low F on the F attachment is usually already flat on most horns, and you've got to move out about an inch for C on the staff.
Yes, this can be the case if you do not tune your horn sharp enough. I've noticed this is a case when long positions help and makes a difference. If you tune the main tuningslide more sharp then the Bb on the straight horn needs to be further out. If so then the F on the valve at the bumper can be in tune. This is what solves this for me and my horns. Trigger C is then away from the bumper of course. Some want the trigger F to be more flat because it then helps when they reach for trigger C on the end of the slide, but then they have no in tune F on T1 instead. In that case the C within the staff can be at the bumper.

/Tom

Return to “Performance”