Rachmaninoff Cello Sonata Transcription (Complete)

GMB

Rachmaninoff Cello Sonata Transcription (Complete)

Post by GMB »

I saw recently that Ian Bousfield recorded the complete Rachmaninoff sonata on a Japanese release (Camerata) last year. I haven't gotten my hands on the recording, but am wondering whether anyone knows of any transcription(s) for trombone and piano and where they're/it's available for purchase. While we're at it, does anyone know of a place that sells the recording and ships to Europe as well?
BGuttman

Re: Rachmaninoff Cello Sonata Transcription (Complete)

Post by BGuttman »

The range of a cello goes from C below the bass staff to as high as the cellist can reach with his fingers. There is no reason a decent trombone player can't play a cello part, although whether we can play it as well as a cellist is another matter. The piece is available on IMSLP (cello version) for free. A quick scan of the music shows it goes up to altissimo E. Cellos read bass clef, tenor clef, and treble clef where C below the staff is the same as our C above the bass staff.

Sometimes the piece is edited for trombone players to remove notes below E below the bass staff and to resolve multiple notes into a single. Resolving these chorded notes is a good skill to develop -- often one of them is the dominant and that's what you play. Same goes for double stops.

I'm not aware of a trombone "reduction" and I suspect Bousfield was working from the cello music.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
GMB

Re: Rachmaninoff Cello Sonata Transcription (Complete)

Post by GMB »

I don't think a lot of decent trombonists could play the best part of the second movement as it's written (a flat an octave above :trebleclef: :space2: ) :wink: I might've used the wrong word, I'm well aware the music is on IMSLP but because of some of the "technique"-al aspects as well as range issues in one (if you have chops of steel) or a few places I was wondering if there's a tasteful (I know I know...) edition of the piece published for trombone.
Jaylix

Rachmaninoff Cello Sonata Transcription Complete

Post by Jaylix »

Anyone got some suggestions for chamber music with a combination from Trombone or Euph, Cello, Piano and Violin? It doesnt necessarily have to be for all of the above but ideally should include at least trombone/euph and cello.

I was thinking something along the lines of:

Telemann Sonata in F minor for Bassoon: I played this before on Euph with Cello and Harpsichord but this time Harpsichord isnt an option, anyone tried it with Cello and Piano?

or

Mozart Sonata for Bassoon and Cello

Return to “Performance”