Bottom End Shuffle

bigbandbone

Bottom End Shuffle

Post by bigbandbone »

Has anyone here tackled Bottom End Shuffle on a single rotor axe? Doable? Sounds like some B naturals toward the end of the bass bone punch solo. E-pull just for the solo?
https://www.ejazzlines.com/bottom-end-s ... yan-haines
bigbandbone

Re: Bottom End Shuffle

Post by bigbandbone »

We finally got this in the book. Just enough low B's that I have to do the whole tune pulled to E. What a ball to play. Will debut it next week. A little woodsheeding is in order!
dershem

Post by dershem »

Fun chart. Wish there was open time for the bass bone, as there is for the bari.
bigbandbone

Post by bigbandbone »

dershem wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:58 pm Fun chart. Wish there was open time for the bass bone, as there is for the bari.
The last time we rehearsed it we eliminated the written bass bone solo and instead I improvised for 36 bars. It worked well, but I will definitely have to work on improvising something impressive in the trigger range and down into the pedal range.
GBP

Post by GBP »

bigbandbone wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:05 am
dershem wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:58 pm Fun chart. Wish there was open time for the bass bone, as there is for the bari.
The last time we rehearsed it we eliminated the written bass bone solo and instead I improvised for 36 bars. It worked well, but I will definitely have to work on improvising something impressive in the trigger range and down into the pedal range.
I feel like playing too much in that range might have a negative impact on a solo. Bill Reichenbach and George Roberts play their solos are in the middle and upper range.
bigbandbone

Post by bigbandbone »

GBP wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:31 pm
bigbandbone wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:05 am

I feel like playing too much in that range might have a negative impact on a solo. Bill Reichenbach and George Roberts play their solos are in the middle and upper range.
Would definitely have to keep it "tastey" and not too busy.

Return to “Performance”