Practice Room Size

Rrova

Practice Room Size

Post by Rrova »

I have the opportunity to build a soundproof room in my basement but I have limited space. Assuming I execute soundproofing and sound absorption correctly, what do you think is the smallest size room that would work. Also, assume the ceiling is 8 feet high.

Thanks!
BGuttman

Re: Practice Room Size

Post by BGuttman »

Make sure you don't hit the walls with your slide or the back end of the horn. Also, watch ventilation. When you soundproof too well you also airproof.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I use a room 3 1/2' by 7'. I wouldn't go a lot smaller than that. I have to use earplugs in mine.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

With The Bailey Super Shoosh! mute, the room can be any size. It allows others to hold a conversation in the middle of my session. Great intonation even in pedals.
ArbanRubank

Post by ArbanRubank »

My basement practice room is about 15X15 (I just measured it - the reason for this edit). It's too small.

I was careful to soundproof only the areas that needed it; an outside wall and the ceiling. Too much soundproofing and my studio sounds dead. I wanted both a degree of sound-proofing and resonance. I think I have achieved both.
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

Whatever size you build allow space for a (small) table and some shelving. Some space for multiple horns on stands, if that’s your thing. Plentiful power sources help. The added overall convenience makes the practice a better experience. That’s what I found anyway.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is not a rehearsal
CheeseTray

Post by CheeseTray »

I like a slightly dead practice space. I've had mine that way for 30 years. It makes you work a little harder to generate you're own resonance and feel like you're projecting. When you get out in the "real world" you can relax a bit, back off and play easy. It's the musical equivalent of training runs with ankle weights. Mine is 11 x 17 and feels fine. I'll also second the point that the room shouldn't be tied into the HVAC if you have forced air. The system will propagate your sound nicely. :)
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

baileyman wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:28 pm With The Bailey Super Shoosh! mute, the room can be any size. It allows others to hold a conversation in the middle of my session. Great intonation even in pedals.
Wait is this real? haha
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

mrdeacon wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:45 pm
baileyman wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:28 pm With The Bailey Super Shoosh! mute, the room can be any size. It allows others to hold a conversation in the middle of my session. Great intonation even in pedals.
Wait is this real? haha
It's a development by Baileyman. He doesn't sell them commercially (yet). But if you contact him I'm sure he can demonstrate.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
GBP

Post by GBP »

I live in a condo and soundproofed a room using a material called QuietRock. It is special drywall that absorbs sound. I can play at normal volumes even in the middle of the night without complaint. I also used mass loaded vinyl and a suspended ceiling with rock wool pumped into the space. I didn’t do a double door, I put a heavier door on instead and that is the only place where sound escapes the room. It is a very quiet setup. I do recommend putting some sound deadening material in the room. The energy produced by playing will have no where to go and metal things start resonating
Gary

Post by Gary »

Isn't one reason for having a practice room, in the first place, to be able to play open-horned?

I'm not able to permanently alter the surroundings where I live, but I can use a pre-fab unit. Does anyone have one and/or have any experience with modular units? Thanks.
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

Gary wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:31 pm
Isn't one reason for having a practice room, in the first place, to be able to play open-horned?

I'm not able to permanently alter the surroundings where I live, but I can use a pre-fab unit. Does anyone have one and/or have any experience with modular units? Thanks.
Sure. Minivans work really great. I would often sit in the back seat with the slide up the aisle. Though the audio guys would say the "reaction function" of the car interior requires a different final mix.
Gary

Post by Gary »

baileyman wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:16 pmSure. Minivans work really great.
LOL. I don't think it'll fit in my apartment.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Wenger modules are better than no practice room.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Arigato, Harrison.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Gary wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:39 pm Arigato, Harrison.
Are you able to get a Wenger module? If you can, spring for the accoustic system that adds different amounts of reverb. However, that's crazy if you can get one -- those seem seriously expensive, even without the accoustic system.
Jimkinkella

Post by Jimkinkella »

I have an 8x8 unit from a company called VocalBooth (found it used).
It's basically 4x8 sheets of plywood carpeted plus carpeted foam cushioning on the walls and ceiling (plus some misc. structure).
It's got a heavy door and window, as well as a basic ventilation system and foam floor support.
It's more than big enough, and helps to have a shelf with audio system and storage as well as storage for some horns.
You could get away with a 4x6 or so, but any smaller would be difficult.
It works for most things, but moving from that to a gig takes a few minutes to adjust to adjust your ears, sound / attack, and volume.
It is a great help in my apartment, none of my neighbors know I play, and it's probably cost equivalent to properly soundproofing a room.
There are a number of companies building these types of structure, you can google vocal booth / sound booth / acoustic isolation booth, etc.
As far as other apartment dweller trombonists, I know that David Gibson in NYC will occasionally use Kiku's (his wife) booth. I think it's a bit smaller as she's a trumpet player, but they both do use it to record things from their apartment .
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hey, thanks, Jim. This virus thing has put my practice room plans on hold for now. But thanks for the info. The VocalBooths seem worth looking into. What kind of sound leakage do you have and do you have an opinion regarding their comparison with Wanger?
Jimkinkella

Post by Jimkinkella »

I measured a 25dB reduction in transmission; the door, recording vents, and ventilation system give you a little bit of leakage. The Wenger is a bit more solid but also more expensive and waaaay heavier. To be perfectly honest anything is better than nothing, and there are a bunch of people out there building the same basic thing. It would be fantastic if you can find someone local that would help you put it together. I would recommend that you find someone that you like, plus or minus a dB or two does not make a difference once you've gone past 12-15. It's totally worth it, especially if you can find something that architecturally fits into your space. I'm about to move into a new apartment, and I think I'm going to veneer the outside of the thing

Return to “Performance”