Bourgeois Concerto: where'd the line go?

harrisonreed

Bourgeois Concerto: where'd the line go?

Post by harrisonreed »

Why is the best line in the 2nd movement missing? Do you only get that if you rent the parts? I got this piece after listening to it for decades only to find that my favorite part isn't in the version with piano! What gives?!
DSC_0337.JPG
Not that it isn't a difficult part to work out, but what was the publisher thinking? Too loud when played with just a piano?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LeTromboniste

Re: Bourgeois Concerto: where'd the line go?

Post by LeTromboniste »

It's an optional doubling of the orchestral tutti. I can't remember if the solo part I have had it printed but I remember it's clear on the orchestral score that it is ad lib.

EDIT: Just checked the wind ensemble score, and the doubling is not in the score (i.e. the solo part is resting). I do remember seeing it printed as 'ad lib' somewhere, but it might be in the solo part or piano score I have. :idk:
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

LeTromboniste wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:57 am It's an optional doubling of the orchestral tutti. I can't remember if the solo part I have had it printed but I remember it's clear on the orchestral score that it is ad lib.

EDIT: Just checked the wind ensemble score, and the doubling is not in the score (i.e. the solo part is resting). I do remember seeing it printed as 'ad lib' somewhere, but it might be in the solo part or piano score I have. :idk:
You are so right. It is in the piano score, but not in the solo part! So sneaky, but frankly quite silly. I don't want to pay publishers to play tricks when I buy a score...

There have been some other times when the published solo part has been different from the rental parts that I've noticed, in other pieces.
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

Personally, after hearing it both ways, I find it more convincing musically when the soloist doesn't play that line if accompanied by an orchestra/concert band. I've never heard someone play it with just piano but in that situation I can conceive of it being nicer with the trombone.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
BurckhardtS

Post by BurckhardtS »

It's in the piano part. I think it was meant to be left in ad lib, but left out entirely by accident. If you can pull it off, in my opinion it is worth doing it, but might not be the best option if you don't have the endurance to make it through the 3rd movement and do that. I played it.
Shires - 7YM, TX, Axial, TW47 - Greg Black NY 1
YSL354 - XT LN106, C+, D3
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Yeah that is my favorite part! I almost want to hold the last note of that line out longer than is written, to end with the rest of the orchestra/band where they cut off.

Looking back at the solo part you can see where it goes into bass clef during the rests for no reason, and then back again to tenor clef.
BurckhardtS

Post by BurckhardtS »

Yeah, it looks like a notation software fail, if anything.
Shires - 7YM, TX, Axial, TW47 - Greg Black NY 1
YSL354 - XT LN106, C+, D3

Return to “Performance”