Mahler 3 LSO live recording 1961

Vegasbound

Mahler 3 LSO live recording 1961

Post by Vegasbound »

The LSO recorded live at the Royal festival hall 16th November 1961, a chance to hear Denis Wick with that legendary 8H but several years before the 4AL

paulyg

Re: Mahler 3 LSO live recording 1961

Post by paulyg »

I have to say- it could be the recording, but this is not my cup of tea. To my ear he sounds like a mariachi player.
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
RustBeltBass

Post by RustBeltBass »

Thank you for posting this. I heard this recording was legendary but never had the chance to listen to it before.

I have to admit this is not how I expected it to sound. I love his energy but feel overall the sound is a bit to edgy for my taste.
I realize this is a live recording from the early 60s so the recording quality might not do reflect the very best aspect of this solo.
FOSSIL

Post by FOSSIL »

I never knew that this particular recording was legendry... it is historic but not a great musical document. I don't know if Denis was ever entirely happy with any of his Mahler 3s... I remember him saying that in the recorded versions they usually used the worst trombone take, as they were simply listening to the strings and wind. I heard him do it and that was an awesome rendition...

Chris
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

I didn't say the recording was legendary I said Denis with that legendary 8h
RustBeltBass

Post by RustBeltBass »

I know. But I have heard of that recording and people described it to me this way.
cmcslide

Post by cmcslide »

I’ve heard a story, not sure how true it is, that when Solti recorded Mahler 3 with Chicago, they had enough time left at the end of the session to run the first movement again; they recorded it straight through, at the end when people’s chops were tired, and that was the take that they released.

Return to “Performance”