Easy trombone quartet ballads

bigbandbone

Easy trombone quartet ballads

Post by bigbandbone »

There a thread about tbone quartets in another section that I didn't want to intrude in, so I'm posting here in performance.
A community band I play with wants to do a tbone section feature, preferably a balled. Unfortunately the 1st and second chairs are vertically challenged. And it would be insulting for me to put away my bass and to pull out my small bore and jump up to lead!
Are there any nice easy tbone quartet ballad arrangements that do not push up past G or Ab?
I've been on the hunt, but can't find any.
Vegasbound

Re: Easy trombone quartet ballads

Post by Vegasbound »

band accompanied?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Most of the trombone features I'm aware of for Concert Band feature 3 trombones (1st, 2nd, and 3rd). In fact, most concert band parts tend to be written for trombones in groups of 3.

Jazz/Stage/Swing band parts are often written for 4.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
bigbandbone

Post by bigbandbone »

Vegasbound wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:08 am band accompanied?
Band accompanied or not accompanied. Either would work. Maybe a big band arrangement?
bigbandbone

Post by bigbandbone »

OP here. Just bought this arrangement. Bryan (English) was kind enough to re-arrange it to just 4 parts. Only one high C to deal with right at the beginning. Pretty much just high G's after that. Walking bass line in the bass bone part is a blast and harder than it looks. It's not a ballad, but will fill the bill. Planning to do it as a feature piece with a big band to. It's gonna be a fun piece once we can rehearse/perform again.
If you want this tune or something else contact Bryan directly. I instant messaged him on Facebook. He just told me he's a member here, also.
Thanks again Bryan!

Return to “Performance”