Quarantine Recordings

hyperbolica

Quarantine Recordings

Post by hyperbolica »

Maybe this quarantine was just what I needed to start recording myself. Your flaws just become instantly visible on a recording. Wow. This is probably why I've been avoiding doing this. Anyway, I'm starting simple. A few Pederson duets that I played in high school (a long long time ago). They were all in one or two takes, so nothing is perfect, but it was fun, so I kept doing more. It took me a while to dial in the settings, so one of them sounds badly engineered (because it is). I would have done videos, but I look worse than I play, so if you need a visual, just imagine Chris Helmsworth dressed as Thor playing trombone. It's not exactly accurate, but it's better than reality. :shuffle:

http://dezignstuff.com/recordings/
Bach5G

Re: Quarantine Recordings

Post by Bach5G »

I’ve been too afraid to do this for years now. I have a little Tascam recorder still in the box.
BflatBass

Post by BflatBass »

Bach5G wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:28 pm I’ve been too afraid to do this for years now. I have a little Tascam recorder still in the box.
I have a Tascam recorder as well and it gets plenty of use. And yes I sound like cow manure. But this just spurs me on to keep working on sounding better. Other than the quartet versions of old jazz standards that I'm trying to arrange I'm currently trying to create a decent recording of a Rochut duet using Tom Everts counterparts. I must have recorded 1000 takes by now. I keep trying though. I'll get it eventually. I could really use an experienced teacher to sit down and listen to me work on these duets. I'd probably learn a lot and progress faster.

Cheers,
Robert
I dream of the day that the world will be healthy enough that I can play in a live ensemble again.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

I just did a 4 part Dorsey medley that I have had for years and never played. Not perfect, but it was fun to put together. Constructive comments are appreciated!

https://soundcloud.com/mike-miller-9297 ... am8U5ozkmo
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

Me, I hear all the Facebook posts of people playing and it depresses me. I realized that I play only to be with people, I don't like practicing. I had some very good training early on, including a year as a performance major studying under a Cleveland Orchestra trombonist, and have pretty much coasted ever since. Early on the quarantine I pulled out the horn, warmed up, then tried some of the Rochut's etudes and couldn't stand to hear how bad I sound. From experience I know I can handle whatever the bands I play in throw at me with no sweat once we get back playing. Actually had thoughts of quitting altogether and selling my Kings, but I would probably regret it later once the bands start up again.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

I usually retreat to my office/practice room after dinner for an hour or two. Sometimes I record and sometimes I just play. It beats watching TV and at least I know my chops will be ready when they are needed again. I do find the overdub process to be a lot of fun. I haven't tried to do videos yet - just sticking with audio and using Cakewalk software to record and mix it. It's mostly for my own enjoyment. I put stuff out on Soundcloud, but I think I have something like 4 "followers."

I saw an ad on one of the FB groups for a thing called "Book of Solos" and ended up buying it. It has about 30 classic trombone solos completely re-engraved and compiled into one book. I have enjoyed reading through these.

https://www.bookofsolos.com/
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

The church called and asked me to record a hymn on trombone since our services are all virtual. I'm not sure anyone there had actually heard me play, it's been a very long time.

They asked for Where Cross the Crowded Ways, a bit slower than I would have taken it. The sound is one of those Samsung microphones that looks like a Yeti, and the video an iPhone. This is basically one take (after playing with levels a bit) like it would be in a live performance so there's some sloppiness. First verse I'm playing by ear, second verse organ, third verse I'm looking at sheet music for a descant.

I'd be interested in any comments. I'd been practicing just alto for 3 months (wrist injury) but dug out the straight tenor for this one. That's a big mouthpiece, a 4, I like a big rim but have been wondering if I need a shallower cup. The thing is, I'm not playing with any group right now, and not practicing near enough, so I haven't been quick to spend on trombone stuff. Anyway, all input is welcome.
ArbanRubank

Post by ArbanRubank »

timothy42b wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:08 pm The church called and asked me to record a hymn on trombone since our services are all virtual. I'm not sure anyone there had actually heard me play, it's been a very long time.

They asked for Where Cross the Crowded Ways, a bit slower than I would have taken it. The sound is one of those Samsung microphones that looks like a Yeti, and the video an iPhone. This is basically one take (after playing with levels a bit) like it would be in a live performance so there's some sloppiness. First verse I'm playing by ear, second verse organ, third verse I'm looking at sheet music for a descant.

I'd be interested in any comments. I'd been practicing just alto for 3 months (wrist injury) but dug out the straight tenor for this one. That's a big mouthpiece, a 4, I like a big rim but have been wondering if I need a shallower cup. The thing is, I'm not playing with any group right now, and not practicing near enough, so I haven't been quick to spend on trombone stuff. Anyway, all input is welcome.
I thought you came across very well! I also admired your upright, bell up posture. Sounded just fine to me. Nice contribution to your church's worship service.
BrianJohnston

Post by BrianJohnston »

Mahler 2 Low Brass chorale - Jay Friedman & Civic Orchestra of Chicago Low Brass.
Tomorrow at 10am
Subscribe here to be reminded:
https://www.youtube.com/c/BrianJohnstonTrombone/
Fort Wayne Philharmonic

Return to “Performance”