Breaking Up Is Hard to Do

Neo Bri

Breaking Up Is Hard to Do

Post by Neo Bri »

So, the term "breaking up"...what do you think that means in the brass world?

I'm leaving the question purposefully ambiguous.
Kbiggs

Re: Breaking Up Is Hard to Do

Post by Kbiggs »

Sound...
Group...
Horn...
Mind...
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
BurckhardtS

Post by BurckhardtS »

Girlfriend...(partner)
Shires - 7YM, TX, Axial, TW47 - Greg Black NY 1
YSL354 - XT LN106, C+, D3
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

I'm probably disqualified to answer because my native language is not English but if I translate that expression to Swedish I can give a try.

When I translate that to Swedish it becomes something dramatic that I have never heard anyone say about their plans concerning their brass playing. I could invent an example of a situation where it could be used with playing and not be very dramatic and that would be if two players played duets all evening and late at night someone might ask if we should "break up" and qut playing and go home because tomorrow is another day, as in "we're had it for today"

Usually this expression in Swedish is not very dramatic and just means to quit what' one is doing for now, but if i said this about my playing plans in general I would probably be asked if I'm serious and if I'm really gonna quit all playing and what would I then do instead.

"Break up" could also be very dramatic as when you divorce your wife, quit your job, move to another country or any big life-change you have to do. I guess anyone who says they plan to "breake up" if it is not just "call it a day" because the hour is late also needs to explain what they mean.

/Tom
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

"Breaking up" is what my tone does if I have not done my warm-up routine or if I haven't practiced enough due to this #$%&*(#} pandemic. :weep: It's not hard – it's inevitable!
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

BurckhardtS wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:33 pm Girlfriend...(partner)
You don’t break up with your girlfriend in the brass
World. Generally she just leaves you :lol:
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
Gatt

Post by Gatt »

[quote="Neo Bri" post_id=126892 time=1601655327 user_id=50]

So, the term "breaking up is hard to do".........what do you think that means in the brass world?

Neil Sedaka?
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I put on a resistance balancer and my whole group broke up.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

JLivi wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:27 pm
BurckhardtS wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:33 pm Girlfriend...(partner)
You don’t break up with your girlfriend in the brass
World. Generally she just leaves you :lol:
Either way - Homeless!

Jim Scott
Gary

Post by Gary »

"You don’t break up with your girlfriend in the brass world. Generally she just leaves you". =:-0
Driswood

Post by Driswood »

Posaunus wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:48 pm "Breaking up" is what my tone does if I have not done my warm-up routine or if I haven't practiced enough due to this #$%&*(#} pandemic. :weep: It's not hard – it's inevitable!
Yes
Jerry Walker

Happily Retired :good:

1957 Conn 6H
Schilke 47B
1989 Yamaha YSL-684G
Bach 6 3/4C
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

To give a real answer... Trying to play louder than can be controlled. The sound loses focus and clarity, becoming raspy or overly harsh. "Blatissimo" or such. Relating to equipment, some equipment approaches this 'red line' at a different sound pressure and/or the texture of the sound changes at different decibel levels. For me, I lose control of the redder brasses earlier than I do yellower brasses. I would not say that is inherent to the material as much as it is to my control and response, but that is my impression.

This is one of those things that can be quantified, but still often isn't because there are still subjective measures to it.

Cheers,
Andy
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

I think there is a distinction between a breaking up tone that gets buzzier and buzzier, and seems to be related to exceeding the strength of the chops, and a blat that doesn't get buzzy but is too loud to seem musical depending on the context. I can overblow and it gets buzzy, but I haven't figured out how to do that clear blat (nor do I have a use for it, so it doesn't matter.)

I was present when Wycliffe Gordon was playing at ETW/ATW some years back, and he had really good control of that second type.

Return to “Performance”