In the Mood - Oh no, Not again!

Slidemo

In the Mood - Oh no, Not again!

Post by Slidemo »

There's no escaping it people, we will be requested to play this number 'till the end of time..... or when we start playing for crowds again, whichever is sooner.

So in my YouTube travels I came across this extended version which is kinda cool, and would certainly put a fresh spin on this classic to be able to perform it. It clocks in at 4:50mins which is quite a bit longer and has some interesting extra sections in there.

Does anyone know where I could find this arrangement preferably to buy?

Thanks in advance.
BGuttman

Re: In the Mood - Oh no, Not again!

Post by BGuttman »

Very interesting. Especially the sax solos. Instead of trading 4's, there are 3 full 12 bar tenor solos and one 12 bar alto solo.

The version we all play is based on the old 78 recording which was limited to around 2 1/2 minutes so a lot of the extra sections got lost.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

This was from 1939. I didn't know Glenn Miller ever played the original chart as written by Joe Garland. There are recordings of Artie Shaw playing it in 1938, and at least one other band before that.

Listen carefully to the interpretation, all of the articulations, etc. It's actually nice to play it with correct style. I think most of those charts we play too much are only boring because nobody cares enough to play them well.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Doug Elliott wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:15 pm

Listen carefully to the interpretation, all of the articulations, etc. It's actually nice to play it with correct style. I think most of those charts we play too much are only boring because nobody cares enough to play them well.
:clever:
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
bellend

Post by bellend »

Doug Elliott wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:15 pm Listen carefully to the interpretation, all of the articulations, etc. It's actually nice to play it with correct style. I think most of those charts we play too much are only boring because nobody cares enough to play them well.
Having played in the officially licensed Glenn Miller Orchestra here in the UK many moons ago ,I couldn't agree more with this statement!
Most people don't have the foggiest idea how to play this music well.

BellEnd
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

bellend wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:22 am
Doug Elliott wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:15 pm Listen carefully to the interpretation, all of the articulations, etc. It's actually nice to play it with correct style. I think most of those charts we play too much are only boring because nobody cares enough to play them well.
Having played in the officially licensed Glenn Miller Orchestra here in the UK many moons ago ,I couldn't agree more with this statement!
Most people don't have the foggiest idea how to play this music well.

BellEnd
Agreed
afugate

Post by afugate »

Fun to hear what sure sounded like Marie quoted in the tune. I wonder if they slipped that in there to take a gig at the Dorsey orchestra? :lol:

(There were probably other quotes that slipped past me.)

--Andy in OKC
Basbasun

Post by Basbasun »

Burgerbob wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:40 pm
Doug Elliott wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:15 pm

:clever:
YES!
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

I agree that many bands just don't get the style. Does anybody know if this extended (or, should I say, original and not chopped up) arrangement is available? If I ever get playing again, and am in a band that can play dynamics other than "On" and "Off" and doesn't treat all charts the same, I would love to surprise this on an audience.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
Gary

Post by Gary »

I couldn't agree more with the comments. I led the descendant of Miller's AAC Band (AF Band) and the dedication to authenticity was very important. I wish I had this available to me back in the day. I would have definitely have used it.

Regarding the articulations and phrasing, absolutely beautiful.

I might add in passing, that I grew up with Miller's music. It was a big part of me. And I think In the Mood is really a good tune, but after playing and leading it thousands of time, I normally can't stand to hear it.

I was passing a bulletin board one day that had a bunch of bandsmen around it, and it had a newspaper clipping of the newest theory about how Miller died. I heard over my shoulder, "I wish Miller would have lived. Then we wouldn't have to play this crap all the time", LOL. (You had to have been there.)
bellend

Post by bellend »

318333_10150290778673226_1778001396_n (2).jpg
Incidentally, during my aforementioned time with the UK Glenn Miller Orchestra I got to meet three members of the original 1940's outfits , namely Zeke Zarchy tpt, Willie Scwartz cl, and Jimmy Priddy tbn.
Although all these guys were well into their 70's by the time I met them they were all still playing well and must have been absolute monsters in their prime.
Jimmy Priddy went out of his way to tell me that Glenn was a much better player than people gave him credit for. A When the AAF band was formed Glenn had given Jimmy one of the two LT 6 Bach's he had ( he was still playing it on our tour!!) Here's a picture of the three of them , they were great fun to be with.

FWIW

BellEnd
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I transcribed the Artie Shaw recording of it a long time ago and arranged it for my 5 horn band. I guess I should revisit the big band version. At the time, the Artie Shaw band was still active but we only played it once or twice. I'm not sure if there are copyright issues or not... Don't even ask me for it.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

bellend wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:05 am 318333_10150290778673226_1778001396_n (2).jpgIncidentally, during my aforementioned time with the UK Glenn Miller Orchestra I got to meet three members of the original 1940's outfits , namely Zeke Zarchy tpt, Willie Scwartz cl, and Jimmy Priddy tbn.
Although all these guys were well into their 70's by the time I met them they were all still playing well and must have been absolute monsters in their prime.
Jimmy Priddy went out of his way to tell me that Glenn was a much better player than people gave him credit for. A When the AAF band was formed Glenn had given Jimmy one of the two LT 6 Bach's he had ( he was still playing it on our tour!!) Here's a picture of the three of them , they were great fun to be with.

FWIW

BellEnd
A very young Mike Lovatt on the right
bellend

Post by bellend »

A very young Mike Lovatt on the right
Yes, Mike played 2nd Trumpet in the band...... You could tell he was going to be a great player even then.

BellEnd

Return to “Performance”