Brass Quintet - WoodWind Combo chamber music

BrianJohnston

Brass Quintet - WoodWind Combo chamber music

Post by BrianJohnston »

Hi all,

I'm looking for pieces that are basically a double quintet (Wind/Brass) or a variation of that such as a stravinsky chamber ensemble. Any more obscure works that could fall into this category? Would be greatly appreciated.

- Brian
Fort Wayne Philharmonic
MStarke

Re: Brass Quintet - WoodWind Combo chamber music

Post by MStarke »

I think I have once played some Gabrieli with 3 groups - brass/woodwind/strings - which if I remember worked quite well.
I might be completely off as it is almost 20 years ago. Oh my god, I am getting old...

Generally speaking I could imagine that a Gabrieli thing with two choirs could work well, however you would certainly need to consider balance between the groups and placing in the room may be essential for it. Obviously balance may be easier between brass and woodwind if brass scales down a little, perhaps even going to baroque instruments.

Not exactly Stravinsky, but maybe an option for you?
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 3x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, modern 88HT, Greenhoe Conn 88HT, Kruspe, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h, Greenhoe, Conn 60h
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Just by chance, a colleague mentioned the other day that there is a work scored for this exact combo by Hovaness(sp?).

Jim Scott
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I was just watching the PDQ Bach (Peter Schickele) "Echo Sonata for Two Unfriendly Groups of Instruments". It's a Woodwind Quartet and a Brass Trio, though. Lots of opportunity to ham it up.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"

Return to “Performance”