Trombone Chat Brass Choir Christmas Video

DDoghouse

Re: Trombone Chat Brass Choir Christmas Video

Post by DDoghouse »

MIke, I've been working on similar projects myself. One thing I would suggest if you haven't done so already would be to clean up the parts individually and then combine them. Take all the T1 parts (for instance), sync them up and then export as a mix. You now have 1 track where you previously had 2 0r 3. Repeat for T2, and on down the line. You end up with only 12 tracks to deal with, instead of 24 or more.
Last edited by DDoghouse on Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doghouse Dan
I'm warning you - I have a trombone and I'm not afraid to use it!
DDoghouse

Post by DDoghouse »

Also, are you isolating the audio and mixing that apart from the video?
Doghouse Dan
I'm warning you - I have a trombone and I'm not afraid to use it!
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Not disagreeing, but that would require a new arrangement and new recordings.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

DDoghouse wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:14 am MIke, I've been working on similar projects myself. One thing I would suggest if you haven't done so already would be to clean up the parts individually and then combine them. Take all the T1 parts (for instance), sync them up and then export as a mix. You now have 1 track where you previously had 2 0r 3. Repeat for T2, and on down the line. You end up with only 12 tracks to deal with, instead of 24 or more.
Most parts have one track. A few have 2. I don't think the problem is the sync. The clap, the beginning, and the end are all together.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

If you want to see a good example of this dovetailing, look at the 4th movement of Lieutenant Kije (Troika). There is a dovetail between the 1st and 2nd trombones. Done well it sounds like one trombone.

My take is that this is a nice arrangement for a college trombone choir, and takes a bit of rehearsal to get to mesh. Also beyond the abilities of some of us non-professionals.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

I am not seeing a big push to do a different tune, so I will do my best with what I have. FWIW, I can still use another bass 3 and feel free to take stuff up an octave.
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

Listening to the recording is... different.

Definitely shows some potential, but very far from being published. And I think it doesn't make sense if now one person would try to fix all the sync issues.
No matter, how this turns out, it has been a good experience for myself as I used my recording equipment the first time.
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 2x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, 88HT, Greenhoe 88HT, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h/62h, Greenhoe TIS, Conn 60h/"62h"
glenp

Post by glenp »

Mikebmiller wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:32 am I am not seeing a big push to do a different tune, so I will do my best with what I have.
I just listened to it and I agree. Everyone sounded great individually but it’s a train wreck put together and I am not convinced that fixing it will result in a good natural sounding recording. I hope that isn’t too harsh; I was struggling to stay on top of the beat so I know I contributed to the timing issue.

I’d love to record another piece, regardless what you end up doing with this one.
glenp

Post by glenp »

MStarke wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:45 am No matter, how this turns out, it has been a good experience for myself
I agree! It was a good learning experience to play the more technically challenging parts. So thanks for the opportunity to participate!
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

Whether or not it ends up being ’released‘, I agree with those who are saying it was fun to do and a learning experience. Thanks to Mike and Joey for their efforts.

I had a listen and think it would really need a lot of work to try and rescue it. I don’t think we’re just talking about moving the odd entry earlier or later. Basically to make it really gel in the same way we could if performing live as an ensemble, you’d probably have to try and speed up/slow down (keeping the same pitch!) individual groups of triplets on a part-by-part basis. There are such functions available but personally I don’t think they really work well on brass, other than in an absolute emergency! After that you’d still have to align the parts and fix the levels.

I’m not criticising the arrangement or the musicians (other than myself), it’s just a very difficult combination to play together virtually.

My vote would be for an easier arrangement with additional fanfares /8va parts etc for one or two parts only, maybe based on one of the Hollywood trombones Christmas arrangements? The published parts are for five parts I think but in the recordings you can pick out some more ‘fancy’ writing which someone skilled in transcription could put down on paper as an add-on to the score.

I can find time in the next week or so to record an easy part.
glenp

Post by glenp »

Mikebmiller wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:10 am Here is a nice simple 6 part medley of COB and We Wish You that we could do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I2SQnX ... AwfXNMTb8s

I'm in favor of trying that arrangement, and I'll pitch in for it too.
bwanamfupi

Post by bwanamfupi »

glenp wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:12 pm
Mikebmiller wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:10 am Here is a nice simple 6 part medley of COB and We Wish You that we could do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I2SQnX ... AwfXNMTb8s

I'm in favor of trying that arrangement, and I'll pitch in for it too.
Ditto being in favor of this arrangement, and ditto on pitching in. I'll echo previous thanks to Mike and Joey for coordination work on the CoB arrangement. I had fun stretching my skill to play along, and I greatly enjoyed watching the videos of the others.
vetsurginc

Post by vetsurginc »

I’m up for that as well. They are cheating though, playing in person AND with a conductor!
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

OK, as one forum member told me in a private message, "you can't polish a turd." Although I think that Mythbusters proved that to be incorrect. I will get the other arrangement and put it online by tomorrow. Watch for a new thread in the Performance forum as this one is getting way too long.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Anyone want to try for this again? Something more easier than last year?

I wouldn't mind having a crack at putting everyone's audio into a mix.
glenp

Post by glenp »

Yes, I’d like to. Been looking forward to it.
michaelpilley

Post by michaelpilley »

I'd be happy to be involved, on any role. I managed to do a decent job on a community video with many different skill trombonists and recording situations and I think it works fine.
vetsurginc

Post by vetsurginc »

:good:

Up for that if it's not just for A-list players.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Yeah, I'd do it if we don't have to tippy-toe around insulting the arranger's feelings. We would need to do a better job of approving a realistic chart. Maybe we could select music that already exists from a professional arranger. Carol Jarvis? Robert Elkjer? Pedersen? I'm sure we could work out the copyright issues.
sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

Should you start a new thread for this year? This one is getting long.
Steve
afugate

Post by afugate »

michaelpilley wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:24 am I'd be happy to be involved, on any role. I managed to do a decent job on a community video with many different skill trombonists and recording situations and I think it works fine.
I noticed you also use Davinci Resolve. Is there a plugin you used to layout the various cameras?

--Andy in OKC
NBischoff

Post by NBischoff »

I'm interested
bwanamfupi

Post by bwanamfupi »

sacfxdx wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:03 am Should you start a new thread for this year? This one is getting long.
I started a new thread here: https://trombonechat.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=22919
michaelpilley

Post by michaelpilley »

afugate wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:58 am
michaelpilley wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:24 am I'd be happy to be involved, on any role. I managed to do a decent job on a community video with many different skill trombonists and recording situations and I think it works fine.
I noticed you also use Davinci Resolve. Is there a plugin you used to layout the various cameras?

--Andy in OKC
Resolve has a grid you can use to frame the videos, you just drag them to where you want them. It get complicated when you don't have an obvious number like 4 or 9, but it's completely doable with any setup you like.
afugate

Post by afugate »

michaelpilley wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:30 am
afugate wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:58 am

--Andy in OKC
Resolve has a grid you can use to frame the videos, you just drag them to where you want them. It get complicated when you don't have an obvious number like 4 or 9, but it's completely doable with any setup you like.
Super. I didn't know that. Thank you.
--Andy in OKC

Return to “Performance”