Trombone Chat Group Video Take 2

Mikebmiller

Trombone Chat Group Video Take 2

Post by Mikebmiller »

OK folks, let try this again.

I got Randy Malmstrom's arrangement of Carol of the Bells/We Wish You A Merry Christmas from Cherry Classics. This tune, while simpler than the other one, does have it's challenges. There are some fermatas and tempo changes. The first part goes to a high D and the bass part goes to a pedal D. So take a look at the parts and pick one that you can actually play. Don't try to be a hero.

Here is the folder where you can look at the parts. It's the same link as before:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

I have messaged Randy and asked if he can generate a midi of this to using for a backup track. If he can't do that, I will work on a click/voiceover track.

For those of you who don't know Randy, he has a ton of great arrangements on Cherry Classics. If you need trombone choir music, take a look at his stuff. There is also an Air Force base named after his uncle, who was a bit of a war hero in WWII. He is an aviation junkie and if you follow his FB, you will see lots of pics of old planes.

Thanks for your patience with this and hopefully we can still knock out a good video by Christmas.
MStarke

Re: Trombone Chat Group Video Take 2

Post by MStarke »

To me this arrangement looks far more realistic for this kind of project. Thanks for purchasing and sharing!
Individual parts still offer something for everyone from high to low, but it looks to me like it is far easier to get it in sync.

I would try to find the time to record one part - open to any of them.
But I honestly don't know if I find the time soon. During the week it is hardly possible at all for me and the weekends become busy with Christmas stuff now.
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 3x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, modern 88HT, Greenhoe Conn 88HT, Kruspe, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h, Greenhoe, Conn 60h
mahlertwo

Post by mahlertwo »

Same deal as Markus. I'll try, not sure if I'll have time.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

We don't need as many people for this one, but I would like for anyone who made an effort on the other to have a shot at it. Here is a sign up sheet for parts.

I have to work up a backup track for this still. Randy did not have a midi for it.
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

Count me in on 2a.

If anyone else is really keen on that part, I’m happy to swap if required, just let me know.

By the way, I‘ve got a couple of options which may be able to scan in the notes and be the basis for a mid. I‘ll try it out and post the results.
Elow

Post by Elow »

I would be willing to do a seperate video if anyone who wants to play couldnt. It would be this arrangement, If you’re interested pm me or email and i’ll send the pdf. It’s only 4 parts so maybe just 6 people. I’ll make a groupchat with peoples numbers so we don’t need a post on the forum. Email me if your interested
DDoghouse

Post by DDoghouse »

Is there any way we could establish in advance the value of the staccato-tenuto quarter notes?

I'm going to take a whack at 1a today, but am not putting my name on the list till I see how that works out!
Doghouse Dan
I'm warning you - I have a trombone and I'm not afraid to use it!
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

Mike, I‘ve sent you the MuseScore, XML and MID by email, should be a decent basis.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Hey everybody,

Glad to know that there are folks on here who are way better with music technology than I am. Richard was able to import the score into Musescore and convert it to an mp3 that we can use for a backup track. We should have that done by Friday at the latest.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Update - I have everything from Richard and should be able to get the backup track out tonight. So please take a look at the signup sheet and pick a part. So far, we only have 3 signed up. I am happy to play whichever tenor part is available. Harrison - if you want to play that high stuff on alto, no one will complain.
glenp

Post by glenp »

I think the best parts for me are Tenor 1b, 2a, or 2b.

Tenor 1a is a stretch due to the high E - it'll sound pinched. And I'm not comfortable enough with pedals to play either bass part; especially 3b.

So do you want me to double up on 1b, 2a, or 2b? Or maybe there's someone who's already signed up that's able to tackle 1a cleanly?

Alternatively, I can give 1a a shot. Just expect the high D & E to need muting. ;-)
bwanamfupi

Post by bwanamfupi »

I signed up for 2B, but I can shift to 3A if needed.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

OK folks, the backup track is up and can be downloaded from here:

You will probably need to listen to this a time or two before attempting a recording to get the feel of how the click track is handling the tempo changes and fermatas.

We still need folks to put their names on the sign up sheet so we know who is playing what. Thanks.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

I just spent the last couple of hours recording the 4 tenor parts for this. Things to watch out for when you record -

It's tough to hear the pickup to 85 where the bass has the we wish you melody for the first time. That took several attempts.

The time changes at the end require a lot of listening to get the right tempo.

Other than that, is is pretty straight forward. Somebody said something about a high E in 1A. Fortunately, it tops out at a high D and those are fairly short notes.
glenp

Post by glenp »

That was me with the comment about high E. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Regardless, high D doesn’t speak well for me either. I’ll give it a shot if no one signs up for that part. But I think I’ll make a much better contribution on another part.

So bwanamfupi, if you really don’t mind and feel comfortable with 3A, then I’d be very grateful if we swap.
bwanamfupi

Post by bwanamfupi »

glenp wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:56 pm
So bwanamfupi, if you really don’t mind and feel comfortable with 3A, then I’d be very grateful if we swap.
Sure, no problem. I've just moved my name on the signup sheet.
glenp

Post by glenp »

bwanamfupi wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:42 am Sure, no problem. I've just moved my name on the signup sheet.
Thanks! I signed up for 2B.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Well since nobody else seemed to want it, I signed up for 1A. We need a serious bass player for 3B. Is Brian Keegan still out there? He killed it on the other one.
bassbone721

Post by bassbone721 »

I've got everything in my schedule sorted out so I can record a part. I think I should be good for 3b if no one else can do it.
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

Mikebmiller wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:40 am Well since nobody else seemed to want it, I signed up for 1A. We need a serious bass player for 3B. Is Brian Keegan still out there? He killed it on the other one.
Still here. And thanks for the compliment. Honestly, I was disappointed since I (and all of us really) put in a lot of time and effort to the last one, only to have it scrapped. I understand why, of course. And also a special thanks to both Joey and Mike for putting in even more time and effort in the project than the rest of us. I was going to stay out of this one just because, but I can cover a part if needed. You mentioned the top part having no one on it. I'd happily play the alto 1 part since I play more alto these days than anything else, but I can cover whatever.

I think Bananicorn might be interested again, though she might be busy for several days. What's the timeframe?
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

No huge rush. By next weekend would be good. I just want to get it out by a week or so before Christmas.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

bassbone721 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:29 pm I've got everything in my schedule sorted out so I can record a part. I think I should be good for 3b if no one else can do it.
Cool. That one had a nice pedal D at the end.
vetsurginc

Post by vetsurginc »

Do you want two on a part or go with the 6 currently listed?
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Two to part would be fine.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Neo Bri wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:59 pm
Mikebmiller wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:40 am Well since nobody else seemed to want it, I signed up for 1A. We need a serious bass player for 3B. Is Brian Keegan still out there? He killed it on the other one.
Still here. And thanks for the compliment. Honestly, I was disappointed since I (and all of us really) put in a lot of time and effort to the last one, only to have it scrapped. I understand why, of course. And also a special thanks to both Joey and Mike for putting in even more time and effort in the project than the rest of us. I was going to stay out of this one just because, but I can cover a part if needed. You mentioned the top part having no one on it. I'd happily play the alto 1 part since I play more alto these days than anything else, but I can cover whatever.

I think Bananicorn might be interested again, though she might be busy for several days. What's the timeframe?

Hey Brian - if you do another video, can you try to set the camera to where we see more than just your head?

And a reminder for everyone - Youtube is a visual medium. So try to get a video where we can see your face and horn and upper body. Shoot from about a 15 degree angle from the right side to keep the bell from blocking your face. Keep the music stand out of the shot and try not to have too much junk behind you. Also, watch your lighting. You need a well lit room, but you don't want to have a bright light behind you as it makes the shot overexposed. Definitely don't stand in front of a window.
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

What part would you like me to do? 1A or 3B?
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

I did 1a, so 3b would be great. Or both if you want.
bassbone721

Post by bassbone721 »

I don't know if I missed it, but where should we put our recordings once we're done?
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Here is a draft of what we have so far. Basically, this is just me and Brian. We are both on 1 A. I am on 1b, 2a, 2b and 3a and he is on 3B.

Obviously there is a bit of tweaking to be done but I think this one will come together nicely.

Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Hey everyone - we are coming up on the weekend. So far, I only have videos from Brian. This is the sign up sheet.

Part TC User Name Real Name

Tenor 1A MikebMiller Mike Miller
Tenor 1A
Tenor 1B bbalika Brett Balika
Tenor 1B
Tenor 2A MrHCinDE Richard Hibberts-Caswell
Tenor 2A
Tenor 2B glenp Glen Pfeiffer
Tenor 2B
Bass 3A bwanamfupi Shawn Collins
Bass 3A
Bass 3B bassbone721 Ryan Liu
Bass 3B Neo Bri Brian Keegan

If you want to be part of this, please try to get me your video by Sunday night. I would hate for it to just be 2 of us on there.
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

Hi Mike, the audio for 2a is up, I'll try and do the video tomorrow morning.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

MrHCinDE wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:06 am Hi Mike, the audio for 2a is up, I'll try and do the video tomorrow morning.
Thanks. I got it. Sounds great!

I still need a few more parts if you guys want this to be more than a trio.
glenp

Post by glenp »

I’ll try to record today but if not I can definitely do it tomorrow at the latest.
DDoghouse

Post by DDoghouse »

Okay, I threatened to do one several days ago, but I got swamped with other obligations. I just signed up for 1B, I'll get it in the can today.

Edit: I meant 1B, not A
Doghouse Dan
mahlertwo

Post by mahlertwo »

Got hit with two major practical final projects, a final exam, and a research paper all due fairly directly. Have been working 12-hour days since Thursday and will continue until Wednesday-ish. Still good to submit then? I'll submit bass 3a.
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

Hi Mike, the video for 2a is up.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Thanks. We have a quartet!
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

And I like the lights. Appropriately tacky.
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

Mikebmiller wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:23 am And I like the lights. Appropriately tacky.
Thanks, I couldn’t afford the dog’s fee this time.
mahlertwo

Post by mahlertwo »

MrHCinDE wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:24 am
Mikebmiller wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:23 am And I like the lights. Appropriately tacky.
Thanks, I couldn’t afford the dog’s fee this time.
Shows up in one video and thinks he's a superstar. Really letting the celebrity go to his head.
bassbone721

Post by bassbone721 »

I got the 3b video and audio up. When editing you can mute the video.
DDoghouse

Post by DDoghouse »

Just uploaded audio for 1B. Video to follow shortly.
Doghouse Dan
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

You guys are all killing it. This is going to sound great.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

mahlertwo wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:33 pm Got hit with two major practical final projects, a final exam, and a research paper all due fairly directly. Have been working 12-hour days since Thursday and will continue until Wednesday-ish. Still good to submit then? I'll submit bass 3a.
Joey we already have that part covered in the video, so don't feel obligated. I hope to have this thing in the can by sometime tomorrow.
glenp

Post by glenp »

Recording for 2B is uploaded.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Hey guys (and once again it's just guys) - I have all the parts covered for audio and video. Thanks to everyone who helped out. Give me a day or 2 to finish this thing up.

No Elbonians were harmed in the making of this video.
DDoghouse

Post by DDoghouse »

TB 1b video is uploaded to go along with the audio track.
Doghouse Dan
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Dan - I apologize - I was working on this and didn't see that you had uploaded that video. I am kind of at the point now where adding anything else to the video mix would take a lot of undoing stuff that has been done. I have you in the audio and I can add your name to the credits.

In fact, here is a draft of the final thing:

I wanted everyone to take a look and make sure I spelled your name right in the credits and so forth before putting it on YouTube.

It's not perfect. Getting all the slides to match up with the notes is a big challenge. If we were sax players, no one would notice if the wrong key was down. So let me know if there is anything (hopefully minor) that you thing I need to change before publishing.
glenp

Post by glenp »

Looking good guys!!

I confirmed that my info and spelling is correct in the credits. As for suggested changes, it appears that my video is about 1 beat ahead of the music. But it seemed consistently ahead through the entire piece. Are you able to shift that a bit?

Thanks again to Mike for your work with the editing.

Return to “Performance”