Christmas Medley for the Future

mahlertwo

Christmas Medley for the Future

Post by mahlertwo »

Hey, everyone! First of all, apologies for the part I played in the events that led to the underwhelming results of the first attempt at a TC Christmas Choir video. That was mostly on me. Which leads me to my next point- Using what I've learned, I've started writing a Christmas piece for the future (I probably won't have a completed draft until mid-January, then I'll spend some time polishing it), and I'd love to have everyone's input as I go this time. So, here's the first draft! If you have time, tell me what you think!

(Also, Harrison, the Alto 1 part is specifically aimed at you.)

https://musescore.com/user/12682446/scores/6481525
Last edited by mahlertwo on Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
MStarke

Re: Christmas Medley for the Future

Post by MStarke »

Hi, I just had a brief look at it.

Looks like this could be really fun to play it live!
But for an online collaboration, it's probably easier if it is more straightforward, less breaks and tempo changes, more straightforward overall.
Just my opinion.

BTW: Even if the other arrangement maybe was not the best fit for the group, I would not take this too negatively. Different groups and settings have different needs. I could imagine that with some tweaks the other arrangement could be a good challenge for a group of professionals.
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 3x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, modern 88HT, Greenhoe Conn 88HT, Kruspe, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h, Greenhoe, Conn 60h
vetsurginc

Post by vetsurginc »

Wow. Sounds great even on the MuseScore player. Would be a real challenge online for tempo's and pauses. But a great challenge. If you do a version for symphonic band, I would love to try it in the college group I normally play with.
mahlertwo

Post by mahlertwo »

Thanks, guys! A couple things-
First of all, I always wrote the tempos with the new one related to the previous one. However, the fact that you pointed it out to me means, for an online version, I need to do a better job of it. Good note.
Second of all, the pauses are always supposed to be for a specific number of beats. However, they could definitely still be challenging online.
I'll definitely keep this stuff in mind as I continue. Thanks again!
bwanamfupi

Post by bwanamfupi »

mahlertwo wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:12 pm Hey, everyone! First of all, apologies for the part I played in the events that led to the smoldering wreckage of the first attempt at a TC Christmas Choir video. That was mostly on me. Which leads me to my next point- Using what I've learned, I've started writing a Christmas piece for the future (I probably won't have a completed draft until mid-January, then I'll spend some time polishing it), and I'd love to have everyone's input as I go this time. So, here's the first draft! If you have time, tell me what you think!

I think calling it a flaming wreckage is unnecessarily harsh. I'm a relative newcomer to the TC forum, but I gather this idea was a first-of-type. It was ambitious, had a course-correction, and you've got an arrangement that can be used for a live performance in the future. This one also looks like fun, albeit above my hobbyist skill level. I agree with the other feedback regarding it being maybe better suited for playing live than virtually. There are a couple ensembles in Indianapolis who, in a non-pandemic world, would have folks with the right mix of skill and practice time to pull it off.

Incidentally, my family is spread across multiple states. We rarely gather all together, much less with instruments (harp / cello / trombone / horn are not easy to travel with). Playing virtually has opened up ways for us to interact that we didn't know about before the pandemic. It's a fun challenge, but a different one from gathering together to play. I'm learning a lot about the mechanics of that by observing these discussions.
mahlertwo

Post by mahlertwo »

bwanamfupi wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:34 am
mahlertwo wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:12 pm Hey, everyone! First of all, apologies for the part I played in the events that led to the smoldering wreckage of the first attempt at a TC Christmas Choir video. That was mostly on me. Which leads me to my next point- Using what I've learned, I've started writing a Christmas piece for the future (I probably won't have a completed draft until mid-January, then I'll spend some time polishing it), and I'd love to have everyone's input as I go this time. So, here's the first draft! If you have time, tell me what you think!

I think calling it a flaming wreckage is unnecessarily harsh. I'm a relative newcomer to the TC forum, but I gather this idea was a first-of-type. It was ambitious, had a course-correction, and you've got an arrangement that can be used for a live performance in the future. This one also looks like fun, albeit above my hobbyist skill level. I agree with the other feedback regarding it being maybe better suited for playing live than virtually. There are a couple ensembles in Indianapolis who, in a non-pandemic world, would have folks with the right mix of skill and practice time to pull it off.

Incidentally, my family is spread across multiple states. We rarely gather all together, much less with instruments (harp / cello / trombone / horn are not easy to travel with). Playing virtually has opened up ways for us to interact that we didn't know about before the pandemic. It's a fun challenge, but a different one from gathering together to play. I'm learning a lot about the mechanics of that by observing these discussions.
Just to clarify a couple things, because my goal was not to disparage anyone but myself-
Everyone played very well, and Mike edited it together very well. The primary reason why the track didn't come together well (that's what I meant with the flaming wreckage comment, which was perhaps a bit harsh) was because of the arrangement itself, which is on me. It's not that it was a bad arrangement- it was the wrong arrangement for this circumstance. Again, my fault. I apologize if it seemed like I was criticizing anyone's playing. That was far from my goal.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

There were actually some moments where it sounded kinda nice.

I think the dovetailed triplets didn't work. Dovetailed duplets might have been better to interlace.

My one real complaint was the excessive use of pedals on Bass 3 and 4. Probably better played on a contra.

This is a great idea and I hope to figure out how to submit a part for the next one.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
mahlertwo

Post by mahlertwo »

Yeah... My love of pedals is something that project taught me to temper. Anyways, that is not the point of this thread, I'm just looking for feedback on my new arrangement so that it's easier and more idiomatic than the last one.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

bwanamfupi wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:34 am
I think calling it a flaming wreckage is unnecessarily harsh. I'm a relative newcomer to the TC forum, but I gather this idea was a first-of-type. It was ambitious, had a course-correction, and you've got an arrangement that can be used for a live performance in the future. This one also looks like fun, albeit above my hobbyist skill level. I agree with the other feedback regarding it being maybe better suited for playing live than virtually. There are a couple ensembles in Indianapolis who, in a non-pandemic world, would have folks with the right mix of skill and practice time to pull it off. .
mahlertwo

Post by mahlertwo »

Yeah, I'm with Harrison on this one.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Joey, maybe instead of writing these charts that are unlikely to get played by anyone anytime soon, why not write some quartets that you can play with your friends and band mates?
mahlertwo

Post by mahlertwo »

Mikebmiller wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:33 pm Joey, maybe instead of writing these charts that are unlikely to get played by anyone anytime soon, why not write some quartets that you can play with your friends and band mates?
I unfortunately can't play with them anytime soon, either. So I'm just writing whatever strikes my fancy lately.

Return to “Performance”