Anybody crash a bellringer?

Kingfan

Anybody crash a bellringer?

Post by Kingfan »

My wife and cats ignore me when I play in the basement, and I am really missing playing out in public. That, and I'm feeling pretty useless these days anyway. I rummaged through my file cabinet and found a book of 21 Christmas carols, all easy, all melodies. Has anybody just walked up to a Salvation Army bellringer and played, out of the blue?
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
hyperbolica

Re: Anybody crash a bellringer?

Post by hyperbolica »

I've done that the past several years with another trombonist, and the ringer seems to appreciate it. It's more fun as a duet.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

If you do that, please put a mask over your trombone bell! (A Crown Royal 1.75L bag works great – and you can get them in Christmas green!)
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Well, sort of crashing a bell ringer.

spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

Posaunus wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:56 pm If you do that, please put a mask over your trombone bell! (A Crown Royal 1.75L bag works great – and you can get them in Christmas green!)
There's already more than 6 feet from the leadpipe to the bell, so all good right? :P

Bigger issue of course is the fact that you will be inhaling and exhaling without a mask over your own mouth and nose.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

spencercarran wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:28 pm
Posaunus wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:56 pm If you do that, please put a mask over your trombone bell! (A Crown Royal 1.75L bag works great – and you can get them in Christmas green!)
There's already more than 6 feet from the leadpipe to the bell, so all good right? :P

Bigger issue of course is the fact that you will be inhaling and exhaling without a mask over your own mouth and nose.
I forgot to mention that you must also play wearing a facemask with a tight-fitting slit in it to insert your mouthpiece! :idea:
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

For the past few years there has been a request locally for people to play along with bell ringers. Apparently revenues almost double when there's another instrument.

However in times of covid that just won't work, at least where I see the bell ringers stand. No way.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Even without covid we were 20' away from the bell ringer just to avoid hearing damage , and outside on top of that.
bketch

Post by bketch »

Our music community used to organize brass trio, quartets, quintets to accompany SA kettles in shopping centres. We used the SA's Christmas music books - really nice arrangements. The donations did increase substantially when the groups were playing. Unfortunately shop owners started complaining about the "noise" and that the shoppers would stop and listen instead of shopping. Eventually the shopping centre managers shut us all down. But for about 5 or 6 years we had wonderful Christmas music that the public really enjoyed. While it lasted, the SA appreciated our contribution. Hope your Bellringer accompanying is as successful but keeps on going.
sungfw

Post by sungfw »

Around here, at least, there are way more locations and shifts than there are volunteers to cover them. Rather than just crashing a bell ringer, contact your local SA citadel or office and sign up for a shift. That way they can arrange to cover another location instead of doubling up on one.

Return to “Performance”