"Kismet" parts

brassmedic

"Kismet" parts

Post by brassmedic »

I'm scheduled to play this show. The orchestration shows 2 trombones and tuba. Does anyone who has played this know if the 2nd bone book can be played on tenor or if it's specifically a bass trombone part?
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
Posaunus

Re: "Kismet" parts

Post by Posaunus »

I'd play it on a (large) F-attachment tenor. This was written long before double-valve bass trombones were common.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Posaunus wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:27 am I'd play it on a (large) F-attachment tenor. This was written long before double-valve bass trombones were common.
That would be true for the original arrangement, but these things are often rearranged. A newer one may use notes in the double valve bass register. Still, 2 trombones and tuba are kinda large for a modern rearrangement -- it would be reduced to a trombone plus a 2nd part that doubles bass trombone and tuba rather than 2 trombones and tuba.

Hope you like Borodin's music -- it's the basis for all of the show.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

Posaunus wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:27 am I'd play it on a (large) F-attachment tenor. This was written long before double-valve bass trombones were common.
It's a symphony orchestra putting on this show, so my question is more about whether the contractor is going to assign the part to the 2nd trombone player or to the bass trombone player, and he's not likely to even know until they get the parts. Right now it just says "2 trombones". Polovtsian Dances were written in 1890 but has some "trigger" notes and the 3rd part is normally played on bass trombone. I thought I might be able to guess what they're going to do, but I think I may just have to wait and see.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com

Return to “Performance”