I'm very excited - Saint Saens Organ Symphony

Drombone

I'm very excited - Saint Saens Organ Symphony

Post by Drombone »

I haven't played in an orchestra for years. Nearly 20.... And yet I've been dropped into Trom 1 of a professional standard, amateur orchestra, playing Saint Saens Symphony 3 in the (I think) biggest parish church in England.*

My main worry is that as I munched my way through all the lockdowns, I won't fit in my tux. :roll:

* I've checked. It's got the tallest tower.
BGuttman

Re: I'm very excited - Saint Saens Organ Symphony

Post by BGuttman »

Saint-Saens 3 has a great solo for the 1st Trombone. It sounds like it should have been given to the bass. A nice large bore with F makes it easy.

As to the tux, consider dressing in all black. Or try black slacks with the tux open and a white dress shirt with the bow tie.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

It's never "easy" to play it really well.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

Also, it's not a solo. It's in octaves with the first clarinet and horn.
stewbones43

Post by stewbones43 »

Hi Nick,

Good for you to get the 1st trombone chair for Saint-Saens "Organ Symphony", it is a great piece to play. The solo that Bruce mentioned technically is not a solo but a unison trio; you are playing along with 1st clarinet and 1st horn, so be aware of intonation! I have always tried to make sure I can see the other "soloists" when I have played this as it can help with phrasing and articulation.

I have never played in Boston Stump but I suspect it will have an interesting acoustic.

The other items in the programme are fairly obscure; Berlioz Overture King Lear (good workout for your alto clef playing!) and Lalo Piano Concerto. I have never played either of them.

Good luck and enjoy.

Cheers

Stewart

PS
You might be interested in a Mike Westbrook gig I will be playing in. It is part of the Cambridge Jazz Festival and on Tuesday September 27th we are doing our "Rossini Reloaded" concert before taking it to Italy for a gig in October. We have just done 2 nights at Ronnie Scott's club and an appearance at the Cheltenham Jazz Festival.
All keeping me on my toes.
Conn 36H(Pitched in D/A)
B&H Sessionair
Besson 10-10
Conn 74H
Yamaha YSL-641 with Yamaha Custom Slide
Conn 88H Gen II with Conn SL4747 Slide
Besson Academy 409
Rath/Holton/Benge Bb/F/G or Gb/Eb or D Independent Bass
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

If you’re concerned about performing it well, there are all sorts of ways to practice it—different keys/registers, different tempi, different dynamics, different articulations—slow glissando (smear), quick glissando, staccato (for tempo), etc.—just like any excerpt. Listen to recordings—lots of different ones. Play with a recording to get an idea of what it sounds like with the horn and clarinet. Use the valve for alternate positions.

As for the tux, buy some adjustable tux pants—the ones with clips along the sides of the waistband. Re: the jacket—well if you can’t fit into it and play without it binding, you might need to invest in a new jacket. 😔 £££
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
Drombone

Post by Drombone »

stewbones43 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:15 am
I have never played in Boston Stump but I suspect it will have an interesting acoustic.

The other items in the programme are fairly obscure; Berlioz Overture King Lear (good workout for your alto clef playing!)

Stewart

PS
You might be interested in a Mike Westbrook gig I will be playing in. It is part of the Cambridge Jazz Festival and on Tuesday September 27th we are doing our "Rossini Reloaded" concert before taking it to Italy for a gig in October. We have just done 2 nights at Ronnie Scott's club and an appearance at the Cheltenham Jazz Festival.
All keeping me on my toes.
Alto, schmalto. Scan into Sibelius and put into tenor. I'll learn alto when I get an alto,

I'm sorry I missed you at Ronnie's. I love that place. When I was young, and single, I spent a lot of time there. Met Ronnie many times and he was always kind and generous.

I have lost your email; could you send something to my doctors.org.uk address if you have it?

Cheers, Nick
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Another interesting part is at the end where you go into 3/1. A little mind-blowing at first until you get used to it.

Also, I thought the part was in tenor clef.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
stewbones43

Post by stewbones43 »

BGuttman wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 6:36 pm
Also, I thought the part was in tenor clef.
You are right about the Saint-Saens, Bruce but the Berlioz is the one in alto clef. Nick has been away from classical music for a while and has been doing lots of wind band, big band and brass band playing where anything in alto clef would be recycled or given to someone who will admit to knowing a viola player.

Cheers

Stewbones43
Conn 36H(Pitched in D/A)
B&H Sessionair
Besson 10-10
Conn 74H
Yamaha YSL-641 with Yamaha Custom Slide
Conn 88H Gen II with Conn SL4747 Slide
Besson Academy 409
Rath/Holton/Benge Bb/F/G or Gb/Eb or D Independent Bass
Drombone

Post by Drombone »

Ah. Change of plan, change of programme.

Still S-S Organ (good)

Now I'm Bass Trom (v good, I like 1 or 3)
also Overture is now Ouverture zur opera Benvenuto Cellini (no, I've never heard of it either)

My choice is Rath R4 if the section is alto and little tenor (maybe wick 2AL); or Holton TR181 with anything between a 1 and a 2. Rath 1 1/2 being my go-to mp. Not too raucous, easy to slot and a nice round sound.

Although a Besson 409 might be better. If only I knew someone with one of those... (just kidding, Stewbones :lol: )

Misson fit-in-a-DJ is going OK. I did my belt up an extra hole today.
Drombone

Post by Drombone »

Oh, as you mention it, Stewart - yes lots of big/wind band but MUCH more interesting is my pit orchestra stuff recently (well, before lockdown). Hairspray, Sister Act, Evita, Fame, Priscila, Chicago and Sunset Boulevard. The 1st 6 were fun. The last, was clicheed and boring. The MD's notes in the programme compared L-W's repetitive melodies to Wagner's leitmotif. He is much kinder and subtle than I. :idk:
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Benvenuto Cellini is from the "can bellow" era of opera (aka "Bel Canto"). Part is not terribly difficult. Piece is nice to listen to. Enjoy it. Note: 3rd part plays nicely on a large tenor (if I'm remembering correctly).
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"

Return to “Performance”