Early Music Sources

AndrewMeronek

Early Music Sources

Post by AndrewMeronek »

I just want to give a shout out to what I consider one of the best music channels on Youtube: Early Music Sources. This one deals with a 16th-century treatise on counterpoint by Thomas de Santa Maria:

I find it pretty cool to see other approaches to musical structure than "standard" modern chord analysis.
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
LeTromboniste

Re: Early Music Sources

Post by LeTromboniste »

Yes! I wholeheartedly support this shout out. Elam is a brilliant person with very deep knowledge, and his videos are so good at vulgarizing complex issues while remaining extremely well researched and documented. The videos are also a great example of how the early music movement approaches (or should approach) things; a dynamic approach with constant reexamination of what we think we know and seeking to deepen our understanding and adapt our practice according to ongoing research, rather than being the dusty, museumy, pretentious and inflexible endeavour that it is sometimes presumed to be.

Also check out the website, Early Music Sources is more than just the videos, there's other useful resources being developped (the ever-growing catalogue of original sources searchable by topics is a notable one).
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

LeTromboniste wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:06 pm Yes! I wholeheartedly support this shout out. Elam is a brilliant person with very deep knowledge, and his videos are so good at vulgarizing complex issues while remaining extremely well researched and documented.
You say that almost like you've met the guy. :cool:

What is his English accent? His bio says he's from Switzerland, but that can involve local dialects in 4 languages. It sounds roughly Italian to me, but different from other Italian speakers I've known.

- Thelonious Monk
HowardW

Post by HowardW »

AndrewMeronek wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:49 pm What is his English accent? His bio says he's from Switzerland, but that can involve local dialects in 4 languages. It sounds roughly Italian to me, but different from other Italian speakers I've known.
A bit further south. He lives in Switzerland, namely in Basel, but is originally from Israel.
H
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

AndrewMeronek wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:49 pm
LeTromboniste wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:06 pm Yes! I wholeheartedly support this shout out. Elam is a brilliant person with very deep knowledge, and his videos are so good at vulgarizing complex issues while remaining extremely well researched and documented.
You say that almost like you've met the guy. :cool:

What is his English accent? His bio says he's from Switzerland, but that can involve local dialects in 4 languages. It sounds roughly Italian to me, but different from other Italian speakers I've known.
I can't say I know him well, but for starters the early music world is quite small, and within that the Schola Cantorum student body, faculty and alumni form a relatively tight-knit community. Plus Basel is not very big so you constantly run into everyone.

He's indeed from Israel. He's an accomplished composer, by the way, in addition to being a great scholar and performer. His stuff is worth checking out.
Maximilien Brisson
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

LeTromboniste wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:41 am He's indeed from Israel. He's an accomplished composer, by the way, in addition to being a great scholar and performer. His stuff is worth checking out.
Ah, that explains it. I don't get too many opportunities to know people from Israel who maintain that accent.

Checking out some music not from that channel:

I like it. In a way, it kind of reminds me of Gesualdo. And I like the vocal styles from the singers. Minimal vibrato, pure tones, easy to follow.

- Thelonious Monk
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

This one is hilarious!

- Thelonious Monk
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

The most recent video is really good stuff. Probably the best introduction to/vulgarisation of temperaments I've heard or seen. Really worth checking out!

Maximilien Brisson

Return to “Composition, Arrangement, & Theory”