Arranging and Composition for jazz

BflatBass

Arranging and Composition for jazz

Post by BflatBass »

Maybe this should be in the Teaching and Learning forum....

Can anyone point me to content regarding beginning methods for arranging and composing for jazz? And this would be for big band or larger ensembles and not small group stuff. I'm experimenting with older jazz standards for trombone quartet and thus far it's all about "listen, write, record, repeat". Or in other words, trial and error. Some reading or listening material (or both) that's related would help speed up the process for me if it's available. Even stuff that wasn't meant to teach about this topic but has useful info in it that would help.

Thanks,
Robert
I dream of the day that the world will be healthy enough that I can play in a live ensemble again.
BGuttman

Re: Arranging and Composition for jazz

Post by BGuttman »

I'll tell you one book that won't help. The Glenn Miller book on arranging. He just describes his band, and shows a couple of examples of voicing without explaining why or where. I suspect if you simply want to learn the Miller style and already know arranging it's probably good. But at your stage I'd avoid it. It certainly didn't help me.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Grah

Post by Grah »

I do think you need a comprehensive book on arranging, so that you always have something to refer to when new requirements come up. I have a huge number of books I have purchased over the years but the two that I find most helpful are:
1. The Complete Arranger (Revised Edition) by Sammy Nestico. Sammy is also my favourite arranger.
2. Instrumental Jazz Arranging - A Comprehensive And Practical Guide by Mike Tomaro and John Wilson.

I was also given a lot of good pointers by Stan Bann on the old TTF, where we monitored a section on the subject.

You will also have to think about what software you should use. The software chosen can save you a lot of time.
Grah

(Transcribing jazz solos is fraught with difficulties because exact rhythmic notation is well-nigh impossible. So listen carefully because it's the only way to learn how to play jazz trombone so that we can return to the Golden Age.) 8-)
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

In terms of harmony, a lot of lesser-experience arrangers underestimate the usefulness of closed-position voicings, and their related drop-2 and drop-2-4 voicings. Those 3 tools will get you a lot of mileage.

But, that's a pretty small part of arranging. I recommend score study. Actuall full score jazz orchestra charts can be great, but I don't just mean that. Pay attention to more general things that are easy to identify by listening: how some charts use an introduction; how some charts have solos in one spot versus another; how some charts use the original melody for a loud 'shout' toward the end of an arrangement; how other charts use a new melody for a 'shout. How some charts use unisons for some sections; how others seem to balance unison with chorded melodies (or how they don't). Stuff like that.
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
Gary

Post by Gary »

I just sent you the Miller book. You can draw your own conclusions. As Bruce lee said, "Absorb what is useful, discard what is not". Good luck.
PhilTrombone

Post by PhilTrombone »

"Inside the Score" by Rayburn Wright is a great reference to Big Band arranging techniques.

It is a deep (DEEP) dive into 8 classic arrangements. Well worth it, for anyone interested in jazz arranging.

Here's is a link:
https://www.amazon.com/Inside-Score-Ray ... B000MMKKWO
BflatBass

Post by BflatBass »

Boy this stuff isn't cheap!

I'll have to limit myself to one book for right now at these prices.

Thanks very much for the useful info and thanks Gary for the PDF's. It's a good start.

Cheers,
Robert
I dream of the day that the world will be healthy enough that I can play in a live ensemble again.
afugate

Post by afugate »

AndrewMeronek wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:02 pm In terms of harmony, a lot of lesser-experience arrangers underestimate the usefulness of closed-position voicings, and their related drop-2 and drop-2-4 voicings. Those 3 tools will get you a lot of mileage.

But, that's a pretty small part of arranging. I recommend score study. Actual full score jazz orchestra charts can be great, but I don't just mean that. Pay attention to more general things that are easy to identify by listening: how some charts use an introduction; how some charts have solos in one spot versus another; how some charts use the original melody for a loud 'shout' toward the end of an arrangement; how other charts use a new melody for a 'shout. How some charts use unisons for some sections; how others seem to balance unison with chorded melodies (or how they don't). Stuff like that.
Yep. What to say, versus how to say it.

I learned "how to say it" using Gary Urwin's book (I like it, the Tomaro book, and the Nestico). (Edit: and with a ton of coaching in forum member Ezaclee's composition class.)

But I really learned some of the "what to say" from Inside the Score.

Some of this depends on where you are in your journey. Since it seems like you're at the beginning, I'd concentrate more on the "how to say it" just to get the mechanics down.

--Andy in OKC

Return to “Composition, Arrangement, & Theory”