qPress

LarryPrestonRoberson

qPress

Post by LarryPrestonRoberson »

Does anyone have experience with and an opinion of qPress? https://qpress.ca/
This dot-com offers virtual publishings (PDF) of standard/popular solos and method books. Apparently, the company started about five years ago. Originally started to provide digital access to these materials for trumpeters, trombone and low brass music is now available. First, is it a legitimate company—not a rip-off? Second, is copyrighted materials being properly/legally offered?

It is convenient to scan and use PDFs of music we own. But the legality and ethics of the practice is hotly debated—fair use? A few publishers offer methods and music in that format. But the vast majority of the big publishers are avoiding that option due to piracy issues.

This post is not to open yet another debate. Again, I am seeking information about qPress. If anyone has first-hand experience—or knows someone who has—and can offer insight, I would greatly appreciate it. It would be nice to have a legal means to acquire digital copies of music. Although, I still love hard copy; I am one to still visit the library and crack open a good book for a read. And there are certain companies I frequently patronize, because I want to see them continue; even if it means paying a little more for music.

Thanks,
Larry

P.S. Mods/admins if you wish for me to remove the link, please let me know.
norbie2018

Re: qPress

Post by norbie2018 »

As far as I can tell they are legit. They sell music that has gone up for public use and some new works as well. I just purchased the Gaetke scales and arpeggios from them. The only knock is that if you need to print things out you'll have to factor in the cost of paper, ink, and binding, but if you're purchasing something that cannot be found elsewhere the cost is negligible. Of course, if you are 100% digital those costs won't apply.

Return to “Composition, Arrangement, & Theory”