Alan Stout's "Solemn Prelude" for organ and trombone

patrickosmith

Alan Stout's "Solemn Prelude" for organ and trombone

Post by patrickosmith »

I'm looking for sheet music to:
"Solemn Prelude" by Alan Stout for organ and trombone.

Anybody know where I can find it quickly?

I suppose I could call the Northwestern Music Library or try hunt down Jim Olin, but neither of these avenues is exactly "quick."

Here's some background.

The late Alan Stout was a professor at Northwestern University. Many years ago I had a discussion with Jim Olin, former principal trombonist Baltimore Symphony Orchestra and alumni of Northwestern University (class of 1976). I had gone to hear Baltimore play Scheherazade (the tempos were either too slow or too fast for my taste but that's because I like the CSO Fritz Reiner version) and Bolero (Jim played it precisely and beautifully).

After the concert I had talked to Jim and reminisced about Crisafulli. Jim mentioned to me that he had heard Frank Crisafulli in a solo capacity performing the "Solemn Prelude" in Alice Millar chapel at Northwestern. He said Crisafulli made it sound easy but Jim emphasized to me that the trombone part was indeed **hard**. I don't exactly why Jim said it was hard but I surmise it was "an endurance ball buster." Crisafulli would have had no problems with that!
patrickosmith

Re: Alan Stout's "Solemn Prelude" for organ and trombone

Post by patrickosmith »

I've requested a pdf from Northwestern University when they get around to it after covid-19 restrictions are lifted. Meanwhile Jim Olin is mailing me his copy.

Return to “Composition, Arrangement, & Theory”