Trombone pieces written by composers of color

Carter1016

Trombone pieces written by composers of color

Post by Carter1016 »

Hi all,

Given the current political and social climate in the US, and the fact that this coming fall semester will likely be mostly online and chamber music heavy, I’m looking for pieces for trombone (tenor or bass) solo or include trombone that are written by composers of color. I’m currently in the process of getting some of Florence Price’s works. If anyone hasn’t heard her 3rd Symphony, I would highly recommend a listen. It’s great writing for the low brass, and just a great work to listen to!

Art songs or lied for voice are also fine, as I can just transpose those or read down an octave, etc.

Hopefully I can get a list to fill up a couple of recitals or chamber group programs! I’ve also been thinking about doing a call for scores for either bass trombone or brass quintet, but I’m waiting on that for now

Thanks everyone!
GabrielRice

Re: Trombone pieces written by composers of color

Post by GabrielRice »

Check out George Walker's Trombone Concerto. He was the first African-American composer to win a Pulitzer prize. Passed away at 96 just two years ago.
WilliamLang

Post by WilliamLang »

Quinn Mason has a really nice three movement Sonata, a set of trombone quartet Chorales, and some brass quintets.

Anthony Barfield has several works featuring trombone.

There's also the William Grant Still Romance.

We need to do more commissioning as a community, so if you know any comp professors you can ask around for students who could use an opportunity.
William Lang
Interim Instructor, the University of Oklahoma
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
faculty, the Longy School of Music
founding member of loadbang
www.williamlang.org
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

I assume you are referring to pieces of music for "classical" chamber ensembles? There are tons for other ensembles in the jazz world.
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
Carter1016

Post by Carter1016 »

AndrewMeronek wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:29 am I assume you are referring to pieces of music for "classical" chamber ensembles? There are tons for other ensembles in the jazz world.
Yeah I should’ve clarified. I’m referring to classical ensembles. Third Stream is also in the mix
fsgazda

Post by fsgazda »

The Walker Concerto has been mentioned, as has Anthony Barfield. Adolphous Hailstork wrote a piece for David Jackson titled "John Henry's Big: Man vs Machine". When researching my music by African American composers lecture recital, I found a composer named John Elwood Price who wrote a number of solo and chamber works featuring trombone, but as I had plenty of music I didn't follow up.
Frank S. Gazda
Professor of Music, Delaware State University
Freelance Low Brass, Mid-Atlantic
www.firststatebrass.com
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

Carter1016 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:48 am Yeah I should’ve clarified. I’m referring to classical ensembles. Third Stream is also in the mix
Well, if you end up finding a grant, I know an African American classical composer who would love a commission. :cool:
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
mbarbier

Post by mbarbier »

here are a few:

George Lewis- Oraculum
Michelle Lou- HoneyDripper
Dai Fujikura- deliquesce
Wilfrido Terrazas torre del norte

Raven Chacon has an open score duo (meant to be played at a distance) that could also have some pretty interesting adaptions as well.
trombone faculty at CalArts and LA City College
1/2 of RAGE Thormbones
they/them
https://mattiebarbier.bandcamp.com/
http://www.mattiebarbier.com/
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

Samuel Coleridge Taylor wrote some nice art songs and some very good orchestral music.

Also worth looking at Joseph Boulogne, Chevalier de Saint-Georges' works. He didn't write any music with trombones but some of his arias might be suitable. Might require having it scanned by the library though (BnF).
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
fsgazda

Post by fsgazda »

LeTromboniste wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:45 am Samuel Coleridge Taylor wrote some nice art songs and some very good orchestral music.

Also worth looking at Joseph Boulogne, Chevalier de Saint-Georges' works. He didn't write any music with trombones but some of his arias might be suitable. Might require having it scanned by the library though (BnF).
One of my music history students just wrote a research paper on Boulogne. Pretty interesting stuff (although his sourcing was poor, I found several better sources in a 5 minute google search).
Frank S. Gazda
Professor of Music, Delaware State University
Freelance Low Brass, Mid-Atlantic
www.firststatebrass.com
DJWPE

Post by DJWPE »

Anthony Barfield. https://www.anthonybarfield.com/

Red Sky for Trombone & Band (also with piano reduction)
Soliloquy for Solo Trombone and Trombone Quartet
Meditations of Sound and Light Trombone & Piano
Heritage Concerto Euphonium and Band

Don Winston

Return to “Composition, Arrangement, & Theory”