Nelson Riddle Bass Trombone excerpts?

Eyedoc

Nelson Riddle Bass Trombone excerpts?

Post by Eyedoc »

There are books of symphonic excerpts. Does there exist a collection of the wonderful lines and mini solos for bass trombone written by Nelson Riddle? I am terrible at listening and figuring out the lines. It is a skill I need to work on.
ngrinder

Re: Nelson Riddle Bass Trombone excerpts?

Post by ngrinder »

Eyedoc wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:54 pm There are books of symphonic excerpts. Does there exist a collection of the wonderful lines and mini solos for bass trombone written by Nelson Riddle? I am terrible at listening and figuring out the lines. It is a skill I need to work on.
I don't believe there are any excerpt books like this, but learning those little lines by ear will make you better than if you read them out of a book. It can seem daunting and impossible to figure it out at first, but it does get easier the more you work on it.

Once you figure the lines out, playing along with those bands and recordings is so exhilarating! You're playing along with the best of the best - there's no better teacher than that.
Elow

Post by Elow »

Do you tend to learn it by ear or write it out? I’ve tried learning a solo by ear and i have never hated playing trombone so much, maybe scales come close, but that was just so discouraging.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Elow wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:55 am Do you tend to learn it by ear or write it out? ...

Yes. ;)

Some people do better writing and some people do better by ear. In one sense it's all by ear since you listen and then write down or imitate.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Elow wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:55 am Do you tend to learn it by ear or write it out? I’ve tried learning a solo by ear and i have never hated playing trombone so much, maybe scales come close, but that was just so discouraging.
You hate playing the trombone when trying to learn something by ear? Is that because it's difficult?
Elow

Post by Elow »

WGWTR180 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:35 am
Elow wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:55 am Do you tend to learn it by ear or write it out? I’ve tried learning a solo by ear and i have never hated playing trombone so much, maybe scales come close, but that was just so discouraging.
You hate playing the trombone when trying to learn something by ear? Is that because it's difficult?
Not really sure, probably because it’s out of my comfort zone. It also takes forever and by the time i learn it i’ve listened to it so many times that i don’t like it anymore.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Elow wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:41 am ...
Not really sure, probably because it’s out of my comfort zone. It also takes forever and by the time i learn it i’ve listened to it so many times that i don’t like it anymore.
Part of being a musician is that you have to be able to play something a dozen times and make it sound fresh each time. This is especially true for playing theatricals. If listening to something a dozen times makes you bored, maybe it isn't so interesting to you after all.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Elow wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:41 am
WGWTR180 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:35 am
I was given this advice once. Work on everything but work on the things you're not good at doing more.
Elow

Post by Elow »

WGWTR180 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:09 pm I was given this advice once. Work on everything but work on the things you're not good at doing more.
I was told to do that as well, the only thing i’ve done that for is lip slurs and now i’m pretty good at most trill exercises. Might have to start doing that more.
Eyedoc

Post by Eyedoc »

Thank you for the responses. I am glad you didn’t say if I can’t play by ear to play the radio and leave the trombone to real musicians! 😀 Of course I wanted it easy! Good mental exercise for my 60 year old brain. When our community band was meeting, a few of the high school kids there would jam together and play tunes by memory or ear. I try to hide my jealousy!

Cheers to those who have loaded such wonderful music on YouTube and especially to the greats Nelson Riddle, Frank Sinatra, and George Roberts. Anyone else play on those recordings like “You Make Me Feel So Good” “Wives and Lovers“ album, “Life is a Bowl of Cherries” etc?
kingsk1117

Post by kingsk1117 »

Not quite what you were asking for, but I have a play-along record titled "5 Pieces for Bass Trombone" written by Nelson Riddle and performed by George Roberts with the Academy Brass (DNE Records, 1003) from 1969 that comes with the written-out bass trombone lines.
Eyedoc

Post by Eyedoc »

Thank you. I see it listed on Hickey’s. It doesn’t list the recording but I see that on YouTube.
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

CD comes with it in a wallet pasted on the inside cover... Doug
Slideorama

Post by Slideorama »

Michael Lawson
Freelance Trombonist
Dallas - Ft. Worth, TX
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Slideorama wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:58 pm Here's a start...
https://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67 ... tation.pdf
Thank you!

Return to “Composition, Arrangement, & Theory”