Honey Bun Sheet Music - seeking

jcfitz7

Honey Bun Sheet Music - seeking

Post by jcfitz7 »

Aloha Friends,

I am curious if anyone has a good source for sheet music from South Pacific? To be specific I am looking for "Honey Bun". To be very specific one of the theatrical arrangements would be terrific. Maybe it's the players or the context but the recordings from Broadway and London casts seem more raucous than the film version?

Is there a preferred source or repository for sheet music for trombone players in general aside from google and hunting around? I'm good at google. Just learning about trombone.

Thanks so much for your help,

Aloha,

Jason Fitzgerald
BGuttman

Re: Honey Bun Sheet Music - seeking

Post by BGuttman »

"South Pacific" is owned by the Rodgers and Hammerstein Library. When you want to perform the show you need to rent parts from them.

I'm sure there are no trombone arrangements of that tune; there rarely are any of any show tune. You might be able to find a piano sheet which you can play if you learn to read treble clef.

I believe you can buy a piano score for the entire show from the Library, but it will be pricey.

Good luck.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
jcfitz7

Post by jcfitz7 »

Well, it does exist. I just don’t know where to find a downloadable or printable version and playing from printed screenshots isn’t my first choice. I’ll try to track down this publisher.

Thanks,

JF

BGuttman wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:07 pm "South Pacific" is owned by the Rodgers and Hammerstein Library. When you want to perform the show you need to rent parts from them.

I'm sure there are no trombone arrangements of that tune; there rarely are any of any show tune. You might be able to find a piano sheet which you can play if you learn to read treble clef.

I believe you can buy a piano score for the entire show from the Library, but it will be pricey.

Good luck.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Looks like you found a brass quintet arrangement. Melody in Trumpet 1. I thought you were looking for a way to play it on trombone.

In the show "Honey Bun" is a humorous diversion from the main theme and was often hammed up mercilessly, especially by the actor playing the "honey bun" (Usually Stew-Pot). It can be as raucous as you make it. Lots of juicy smears to ham it up.

If you look to Ebay you might be able to find a piano arrangement. The show was very popular in the wake of World War II.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

Another more expensive option is to have someone write a custom arrangement for you with whatever instrumentation you like. Several folks here on the forum, myself included, could do the job for you. But it would be more cost-effective to find a pre-existing one.
jcfitz7

Post by jcfitz7 »

Thanks for the responses. I think that I was not clear on what I was hoping for. Let me try one more time. I am very new to playing music so I am hopeful that someone with more experience than I could offer some helpful guidance. And if what I am seeking doesn't exist then I'll try to figure out some other way to learn the trombone parts of the song in question.

I would like to learn to play the trombone part from the song Honey Bun as performed on Broadway or any other large stage production of the Rodgers and Hammerstein play South Pacific. The trombone is one member of the ensemble and I would like to use my trombone to play the part of the song that is traditionally played by the trombone. I am not looking, at this point, to play the song alone with the trombone as the only voice.

When the play South Pacific is performed on Broadway I believe that the musicians who are hired to play the various instruments are given sheet music that would show them which notes they would play at different points in the song. It sounds to me as though each instrument plays different notes at different points so I imagine that each instrument has their own sheet music to play from rather than there being just one sheet.

And, I am guessing that when the trombone player arrives at the first day of rehearsals someone gives that trombone player some sheet music to work from. What I am seeking is that sheet music, or something like it. It seems to be very difficult to find, at least if you don't know what you are looking for. It 's equally difficult to believe that any time a group wants to stage South Pacific they have to create a custom arrangement. I would think some standard form exists somewhere? Is that crazy?

I am not trying to stage the play or even perform in public at this point, just learn the trombone part of a song. Perhaps someone on this forum has played in a group that played Honey Bun and could scan there music from that performance?

Thanks again for your help and my apologies for my ignorance. If there is a more appropriate forum for beginners I'd be happy to post my questions there. I don't mean to bother anyone with my amateur inquiries. Just trying to learn.

Thank you,

Jason
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

The parts for the show are maintained by the Rodgers and Hammerstein Archives. You have to rent the parts from them. That is exactly what all theater companies do when they perform the play. I don't know what the rental fee for the entire performance set is, but it's not cheap and you have to return it after a period of time.

It is illegal to make a copy of the rental part; it's under copyright and will remain so for at least another generation.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
jcfitz7

Post by jcfitz7 »

Hmmm,

I’m clearly not meant to learn the song. I just tried to purchase a digital download of the Brass Quintet sheet music from sheetmusicplus.com for $13. They won’t accept a Hawaii address for payment because I guess they won’t ship to Hawaii, even though it’s a digital download? I’ll stick with Hot Crossed Buns, I guess.

Thanks again for your help.

Jason

Return to “Composition, Arrangement, & Theory”