Frank Rosolino's 'Fine Shape'

BflatBass

Frank Rosolino's 'Fine Shape'

Post by BflatBass »

I've been looking for a printed version of this song from his 'Frank Rosolino Quintet' album. There's lots of his stuff out there but I can't seem to find this particular song.

Here's the YouTube link to the song I'm looking for:

In fact I wouldn't mind a transcription of his solo on this album as well. But the most important thing about the sheet music I need is the chord progression. The rest I can transcribe myself although very time consuming.
If anyone knows where I can find this music please let me know.

Thanks,
Robert
I dream of the day that the world will be healthy enough that I can play in a live ensemble again.
AndrewMeronek

Re: Frank Rosolino's 'Fine Shape'

Post by AndrewMeronek »

The chords for this seem to be pretty straight-forward to my ears. Tune's in B-flat and has a bunch of ii-V-I patterns. Just listen to the bass. I hear on the "A" section, bar-by-bar:

cm7-F7
Bb6-gm7
cm7-F7
Bb6-gm7
cm7
gm7
cm7-F7
Bb6

Pretty standard stuff. The players vary it, but just based on standard substitutions, like the occasional G7 instead of gm7. I'll leave it to someone else to fill in the rest.
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
BflatBass

Re: Frank Rosolino's 'Fine Shape'

Post by BflatBass »

AndrewMeronek wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:19 pm The chords for this seem to be pretty straight-forward to my ears. Tune's in B-flat and has a bunch of ii-V-I patterns. Just listen to the bass. I hear on the "A" section, bar-by-bar:

cm7-F7
Bb6-gm7
cm7-F7
Bb6-gm7
cm7
gm7
cm7-F7
Bb6

Pretty standard stuff. The players vary it, but just based on standard substitutions, like the occasional G7 instead of gm7. I'll leave it to someone else to fill in the rest.
I'll make note of what you've got here and listen with my melodica :P and see how this fits. This will be good ear training.

Thanks,
Robert
I dream of the day that the world will be healthy enough that I can play in a live ensemble again.

Return to “Composition, Arrangement, & Theory”