Big band arrangement to little big band

watasnake

Big band arrangement to little big band

Post by watasnake »

I have about 20 “little big band” charts for piano, bass, drums, alto, tenor, bone, and trumpet. I would like to be able to use some full big band charts I have so I don’t have to buy anymore little big band charts. Is there an arranger that writes so just alto, tenor, trumpet, and bone (one each) and the writing makes sense? Or.... do I have to buy more little big band charts :(
cmcslide

Re: Big band arrangement to little big band

Post by cmcslide »

Many old “stock” arrangements from the ‘30’s and ‘40’s will work that way, as they are written for flexible instrumentation. Some newer charts will work that way too, but you need to check for who is playing solos and for special effects. Easier charts will work better. Some writers, like Dave Wolpe, offer the same charts in both lineups, but they are separate purchases.
watasnake

Post by watasnake »

Ah yes. I have a few old Art Dietrich tunes in my library. Thank you.
Kingfan

Re: Big band arrangement to little big band LONG GONE

Post by Kingfan »

SORRY, THEY ARE NO LONGER AVAILABLE. THEY WERE PICKED BY A LOCAL ENSEMBLE. I have 120 old stock arrangements collecting dust. Fifty by Johnny Warrington, a dozen each by Paul Weirick and Jack Mason, plus others. If you (or anybody else) is interested, please let me know. I have a complete list on Excel I can send on request.
Last edited by Kingfan on Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
boneapart

Post by boneapart »

Your terminology is not quite right. A "little big band" is usually more like an 8- to 10-horn band. What you want is charts for a four-horn combo. I have a suggestion that I sent by email.
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

Kingfan wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:29 pm I have 120 old stock arrangements collecting dust. Fifty by Johnny Warrington, a dozen each by Paul Weirick and Jack Mason, plus others. If you (or anybody else) is interested, please let me know. I have a complete list on Excel I can send on request.
Warrington, an always tasteful sensible dance band writer. Sure hope to be able to play his stuff again, with dancers, too.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

baileyman wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:18 am
Kingfan wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:29 pm I have 120 old stock arrangements collecting dust. Fifty by Johnny Warrington, a dozen each by Paul Weirick and Jack Mason, plus others. If you (or anybody else) is interested, please let me know. I have a complete list on Excel I can send on request.
Warrington, an always tasteful sensible dance band writer. Sure hope to be able to play his stuff again, with dancers, too.
You and me both. :hi: :cool:
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

I write for jazz ensembles of all sorts of different sizes.

As stated above, old "stocks" are organized to be played with some various-sized ensembles. The tradeoff is that this involves flipping around voicings so that sometimes individual parts designed to accommodate this flexibility don't make a ton of sense on their own merits. I don't think that modern arrangers do this all that often, both because of this effect, and because with modern orchestrating tools, especially advanced notation software, it's relatively easy to just write out separate charts that get rid of these kinds of voicing quirks - plus, there's just not a lot of demand.

That said, a 4-horn chart is usually referred to as a jazz septet or octet, depending on whether there is an auxiliary rhythm section part for guitar or vibraphone, in addition to the "typical" piano/bass/drumset. Or - simply a "4-horn chart".
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
dershem

Post by dershem »

His stuff might not swing in the same way later arrangers do, but it always *works*.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

dershem wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:42 am

His stuff might not swing in the same way later arrangers do, but it always *works*.
Baileyman and I play (played?) in a band that plays senior centers for dancers. They aren't looking for exotic jazz; just a good tune to cut a rug. Warrington arrangements work great for this, and the book is full of them. As somebody who grew up in the wake of the Big Band era I thought I knew a lot of tunes, but the book has a bunch I'd never heard before :o
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

Yeah, that was so BC.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

baileyman wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:05 am Yeah, that was so BC.
BC as in Before Coronavirus? When we get a vaccine do we go to AV? ;)
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
andrescoli

Post by andrescoli »

Hi KingFan, I will love to have those arrangement for my study, can you safer them?

Thanks.

Return to “Composition, Arrangement, & Theory”