Mass conversion of Sib to XML

Matt K
Verified

Mass conversion of Sib to XML

Post by Matt K »

Hey all,

So long story short, I've decided to switch to MuseScore after 1) switching my main OS to Linux and 2) having nightmarish licensing issues every time I open Sibelius for the last few years.

The problem is, I have a huge directory filled with .sib files (most are v 7.5 but some are v6) that I would prefer to be able to open in some capacity. I've gleamed there is a plugin that active users of Sibelius can use to point to a directory and have it automatically make a 2nd file structure that has .XML files rather than sib files.

Does anyone have access to this plugin and, if so, would you be willing to take a directory that I send and convert to XML for me?
JLivi

Re: Mass conversion of Sib to XML

Post by JLivi »

I don't have access to the plugin, but when I converted all my .sib files to .xml I did it through Sibelius. One thing that was helpful, if I remember correctly, was that Sibelius was able to convert all files within a folder. So I was converting 50 files at a time and exporting the new .xml files into it's own folder

Now I'm super organized with a lot of different folders, and folders within folders, but I found that the process wasn't too annoying. I don't know how large your library is, but I converted ~400-500 files to .xml. And I believe it only took me a few hours, (maybe 4-6?) to get everything covered and re-organized. It wasn't as much of a pain as I thought it was going to be.

I hope that makes sense. Good luck tracking down that plugin.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I just saw this the other day and saved it, although I don't know if I really have a use for it:

To save a Sibelius file in MusicXML, install the plug-in "Dolet" which you can obtain from:
https://www.musicxml.com/dolet-plugin/d ... and-later/
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
MagnumH

Post by MagnumH »

Hey Matt! I have an active and up to date Sibelius, and there is indeed a built in plug-in to convert a folder of sibelius files to music xml. Very happy to run this for you if you want to DM me a shared folder in dropbox, google drive, etc. Just let me know!
Matt Hawke
Trombonist/Arranger/Bandleader
White Hot Brass Band // The Sideways // The Brass Machine
Stable: BAC Paseo W6 w/ DE MTN102 B+3; King 3B/F w/ Bach 4C; King 2B w/ King 12C
DominicaSanchez

Post by DominicaSanchez »

Matt K wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:07 am Hey all,

So long story short, I've decided to switch to MuseScore after 1) switching my main OS to Linux and 2) having nightmarish licensing issues every time I open Sibelius for the last few years.

The problem is, I have a huge directory filled with .sib files (most are v 7.5 but some are v6) that I would prefer to be able to open in some capacity. I've gleamed there is a plugin that active users of Sibelius can use to point to a directory and have it automatically make a 2nd file structure that has .XML files rather than sib files.

Does anyone have access to this plugin and, if so, would you be willing to take a directory that I send and convert to XML for me?
Fantastic!!! I'm not alone here! I'm studying online courses of trombone there! :good: :hi:

But I don't know how to help you! Sorry :|

Return to “Composition, Arrangement, & Theory”