WTB: High range mpiece

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Email at [url=mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url] for offers

ttf_Larry Preston Roberson

Post by ttf_Larry Preston Roberson »

I don't know if I would consider a Schilke 51C4 a "High range" mouthpiece. But this is certainly subjective, dependent on your "normal" setup. I will see if I have an extra or check the usual places. Are you looking for small or large shank?

Schilke describes the 51C4 as "Similar to the #51 with a slightly shallower cup and semi-flat #4 rim." I can attest to this being an accurate description having owned and played on both. Otherwise, they share the same specs. For what it's worth, I don't notice much of a difference, at least in regards to easier high range. My tone is noticeably brighter. The 51 is my daily driver; I'm not particularly fond of the 51C4. Once again, this is subjective. I feel like maybe tighter throat/backbore would help with higher range.
ttf_trombonejb

Post by ttf_trombonejb »

Sorry I forgot to clarify, Large bore mpiece
ttf_Ellrod

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

Schilke makes a 51B. Slightly shallower cup (than a 51), slightly tighter backbore. More security in the high range. I seem to recall it being associated with Jay Friedman.

Quote from: Ellrod on Oct 04, 2017, 11:13AMSchilke makes a 51B. Slightly shallower cup (than a 51), slightly tighter backbore. More security in the high range. I seem to recall it being associated with Jay Friedman.

Yeah, that would have been my next suggestion. I've got small and large shank versions of the 50 & 51. The 51 is a great all-around piece on medium and large bore horns for me. Bach 36 & 42 series respectively. And 50 seems really good for my 16M (.508), but not so much on the 42; maybe the backbore is too tight & cup diameter too small? Have you played the large shank version of the 51B Ellrod?
ttf_trombonejb

Post by ttf_trombonejb »

nope, just getting started in this mouthpiece search. only ever played on 6 1/2AL, 5G and DW4AL
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

I’ll admit that some mouthpieces have a design that lend themselves to be more secure for a player in the upper register, but none will get you there if you can’t already get there. I briefly tried a Yamaha 48L in high school and it may still be at my other house. If you’re interested in that small of a mouthpiece I can take a look for it next time I’m there  Image
ttf_Ellrod

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

Quote from: Larry Preston Roberson on Oct 04, 2017, 12:21PMYeah, that would have been my next suggestion. I've got small and large shank versions of the 50 & 51. The 51 is a great all-around piece on medium and large bore horns for me. Bach 36 & 42 series respectively. And 50 seems really good for my 16M (.508), but not so much on the 42; maybe the backbore is too tight & cup diameter too small? Have you played the large shank version of the 51B Ellrod?

I tried a small shank 51B on a 3B a number of years ago. Didn't work particularly well for me as I recall. It certainly didn't last long.

Recently I went on a Schilke bender. Eventually, I found the 51 a bit dark. Maybe the 51B would be worth a try. Not a popular mpc, it appears. 
ttf_Posaunus

Post by ttf_Posaunus »

I like the large-shank Schilke 51 - played it for many years after "upsizing" from a Bach 6½AL. 

After a long layoff, during which my chops deteriorated, I tried a Schilke 51B (which has a smaller throat as well as a shallower cup) thinking it would improve my high range on my weakened embouchure - but never found it at all satisfactory on my Conn 88H.  In fact, I don't really know anyone who much likes the quirky 51B.  The Schilke 51C4 is much more to my liking.  But now that my chops are strengthened, I've found a Giddings & Webster large-shank piece that I've also been happy with. 

Quote from: Full Pedal Trombonist on Oct 04, 2017, 02:25PMI’ll admit that some mouthpieces have a design that lend themselves to be more secure for a player in the upper register, but none will get you there if you can’t already get there...

True that!
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: trombonejb on Oct 04, 2017, 10:50AMSorry I forgot to clarify, Large bore mpiece
I would suggest something like a Yamaha 48A, but I'm sure it is not available in large shank.

If you want a high end high range mouthpiece that is adjustable how about a Doug Elliot LT 101 B B6.  This might be special order from Doug but the nice thing about it is you can configure it anyway you want.

What horn is this going on?

ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

A Doug Elliott 6 shank is for a Euro receiver.  The smallest large shank is 7.

Doug's pieces are excellent, but pricey.  Not what I'd recommend for somebody looking to "buy virtuosity".

I'd like to echo something that has been said before.  A smaller/shallower mouthpiece makes high notes easier, but you have to be able to play them first.  It's not like having an alto sax that plays higher than a tenor sax.  Even trumpet players have to WORK on being able to play a piccolo trumpet.

ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: BGuttman on Oct 06, 2017, 03:53AMA Doug Elliott 6 shank is for a Euro receiver. 
From stock, yes, but I believe he'll make a custom shank if you want it.  A 6 would provide a bit more resistance to aid production of higher tones.  Doug would certainly know better than me though.
ttf_trombonejb

Post by ttf_trombonejb »

Quote from: BillO on Oct 05, 2017, 09:01PMI would suggest something like a Yamaha 48A, but I'm sure it is not available in large shank.

If you want a high end high range mouthpiece that is adjustable how about a Doug Elliot LT 101 B B6.  This might be special order from Doug but the nice thing about it is you can configure it anyway you want.

What horn is this going on?

Bach 42A (hagmann)
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: trombonejb on Oct 06, 2017, 07:39AMBach 42A (hagmann)
That may not respond well to a very shallow mouthpiece, but I could be wrong.  What notes are you trying to bolster?
ttf_quiethorn

Post by ttf_quiethorn »

Quote from: BGuttman on Oct 06, 2017, 03:53AMA Doug Elliott 6 shank is for a Euro receiver.  The smallest large shank is 7.

Doug's pieces are excellent, but pricey.  Not what I'd recommend for somebody looking to "buy virtuosity".

I'd like to echo something that has been said before.  A smaller/shallower mouthpiece makes high notes easier, but you have to be able to play them first.  It's not like having an alto sax that plays higher than a tenor sax.  Even trumpet players have to WORK on being able to play a piccolo trumpet.

Echoing this, I spent some time trying to learn trumpet only to find my high range on trumpet was only a little better than on trombone, i.e., I didn't automatically just gain a full octave. Of course I automatically lost my bottom octave. But oddly enough, girls started noticing me more  Image
ttf_ebrenner

Post by ttf_ebrenner »

I have a Conn Lindberg 5CL Gold - very shallow cup.

http://www.hickeys.com/search.php?q=Conn+Lindberg+5CL-G

If interested, contact me at [url=mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url].
ttf_Stewbones43

Post by ttf_Stewbones43 »

You say you have played on a 6.5AL, a 5G and a DW4AL. Have you thought of trying the DW 9BL. It is around the 6.5 rim size with a shallow cup and has been marketed as an " emergency high note getter" Image

Cheers

Stewbones
ttf_Pre59

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

Quote from: Stewbones43 on Yesterday at 10:49 AMYou say you have played on a 6.5AL, a 5G and a DW4AL. Have you thought of trying the DW 9BL. It is around the 6.5 rim size with a shallow cup and has been marketed as an " emergency high note getter" Image

Cheers

Stewbones

The DW 9B is a useful mouthpiece piece. it's been a good "fallback" for me for a long time, and I've never heard anyone make a bad sound on one, or have the problems with breath control either.
ttf_trombonejb

Post by ttf_trombonejb »

Quote from: Stewbones43 on Oct 07, 2017, 10:49AMYou say you have played on a 6.5AL, a 5G and a DW4AL. Have you thought of trying the DW 9BL. It is around the 6.5 rim size with a shallow cup and has been marketed as an " emergency high note getter" Image

Cheers

Stewbones

I have not tried that, might be useful.
ttf_trombonejb

Post by ttf_trombonejb »

ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: trombonejb on Oct 08, 2017, 05:24PMTrying to bolster notes upwards of a high F  Image 8^ Image

For me the mouthpiece does not augment those notes.  It may make them a bit easier to play (a shallower cup) but mostly different mouthpieces give me different timber to the sound.  If your not getting a full sound then you not getting enough airflow or you're pinched off somewhere.  I don't know what Doug Elliot charges for a Skype lesson, but he's an expert in embouchure/mouth piece issues.  It may very well be cheaper than buying a dozen mouthpieces to run trial and error.
ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

IMHO what you need is the most efficient mouthpiece for your chops..... Talk to DE

Return to “Classified Advertisements”