FS: 1921 Conn 12H trombone—.547 ” bore, TIS, piston-valve F-attachment

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

For sale is a Conn 12H “bass” (large-bore tenor) trombone, with a .547” bore, 8.5” bell, tuning in the handslide, and a piston valve F-attachment.  The serial number dates it to 1921, according to the Conn serial number lists online.  The trombone features its original satin-silver finish with gold wash bell and is in exceptional condition, with minor finish wear and no dents.  It also includes the original case, Conn-Kenfield mouthpiece, lyre, and cleaning rod, all of which are also in extremely nice, original condition.  It would not be an overstatement to say that this is a museum-quality instrument.  Please see the pictures included with this listing, as well as additional pictures here: https://imgur.com/a/3BN7C .

This trombone, while it is an extremely rare, well-preserved historical instrument, also plays exceptionally well.  It plays at A=440 with the main tuning slide extended .5” to .75”, so it is usable in modern ensembles.  Although its “specs” are similar to an 88H, it does not play like an 88H.  The bell throat is larger and the rim is soldered.  It is also very lightweight in construction.  With a bass trombone mouthpiece, it plays like a small bass trombone.  With a tenor trombone mouthpiece, it is an exceptional symphonic tenor.  The upper register is effortless and the lower register is free-blowing and powerful.  The tone, like other 1920’s Conns, is totally unique. 

The design of the valve is also quite fascinating.  In the “open” position, the bore travels through the valve in a perfectly straight line, with no turns and no “bumps”—a similar concept to the contemporary Shires “Tru-Bore” valve.  So, on the open side of the horn, it plays very similarly to a “straight” trombone.  With the valve depressed it is still very resonant and free-blowing—not as open as a Thayer or Hagmann equipped trombone, but more free blowing than a traditional rotor.

There are only two very small modifications that have been made to this instrument.  The original metal valve guide has been replaced with a nylon guide, to make the valve action quieter, and the valve has been aligned using metal washers and rubber o-rings (for a more precise, permanent alignment).  Otherwise, the trombone is all-original, as it would have been delivered from the Conn factory in 1921.

This is an exceptionally rare instrument, in exceptional condition.  I know of the existence of only one other 12H, and it is not nearly as well-preserved as this one.  This trombone is also an exceptional player, on the same level as the finest hand-made custom trombones being produced today.  So whether you are a vintage Conn aficionado or a serious symphonic trombonist—or both—this may be the horn for you.

I’m extremely reluctant to sell, but I’m finally coming to terms with the fact that at this point in my life I simply don’t have time to devote to trombone playing anymore.  I’d rather have this instrument go to someone who will use and appreciate it, instead of having it sit in storage in my basement.

Asking $3000.  I’m located in the greater Roanoke VA area, and I’d be willing to travel a reasonable distance to meet for the sale.  I’m also willing to ship, both domestically and internationally.  Please email for more information: [url=mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url] .

Thanks for your interest!

-Funkhoss

ttf_sf105

Post by ttf_sf105 »

Drool.
ttf_Funkhoss

Post by ttf_Funkhoss »

There's been some interest in this trombone, but as of yet, no takers.

Don't let the piston valve scare you away--in my opinion, this trombone plays better than a Conn from the same era with a rotary valve...

-Funkhoss
ttf_Doghouse Dan

Post by ttf_Doghouse Dan »

Which finger operates the piston?
ttf_Tbonedude

Post by ttf_Tbonedude »

Quote from: Doghouse Dan on Jan 04, 2018, 03:24PMWhich finger operates the piston?

It appears as if the left index finger would be best suited for the job.
ttf_Funkhoss

Post by ttf_Funkhoss »

Quote from: Tbonedude on Jan 04, 2018, 09:04PMIt appears as if the left index finger would be best suited for the job.

That is correct--the left index finger operates the valve.  For someone who is primarily a 3+1 compensating euphonium player (like myself), using that finger is very natural, since it's the same as pressing the fourth (F) valve with the left hand.

I use a Neotech hand grip when I play this trombone, and it's actually quite ergonomic.  I'd be happy to include that hand grip with the sale, if desired.

-Funkhoss

Return to “Classified Advertisements”