Q&As

Have an idea for improving the forum? Share it here.
Chatname

Q&As

Post by Chatname »

I learnt so much from the Ben Griffin/Gabe Langfur Q&A thread. I’ve read it several times. I felt they were really able to give lots of valuable information based on their huge experience, not primarily to sell stuff (although it inspired me to buy equipment but with a little deeper understanding, and not at all specifically Shires).
Since I have only sporadically been on this forum, would anyone be kind enough to direct me towards similar threads?
And, how about have more Q&As with other highly respected players and persons in the industry?
Since they’re already on the forum, may I suggest hornbuilder? Brass Medic and slipmo from Brass Ark? Those are just a few names that I thought of, would be interesting to pick their brains in instrument related matters. If they would accept.
And of course there are lots of other persons that would be exciting. I’m sure many top names would agree.
Matt K
Verified

Re: Q&As

Post by Matt K »

Funny you should mention that one... I was the reason for that thread because I kept pestering Ben basically every time he posted about more details. Sorry about that Ben :wink: very glad that the thread existed because I too learned a lot.

We had at one point talked about maybe funding the forum by having manufacturers pay a small fee to have their own sub forum, but that never materialized. I personally would have no problem with that, nor would I have a problem just stickying a thread at the top of mouthpieces or horns for the company for questions.

If there are other comments we can talk about them internally and see if there's a best path moving forward for either of those types of ideas.
WilliamLang

Post by WilliamLang »

Could you link to the thread here? It sounds like it'd be a fun read and would save people from the search bar
William Lang
Interim Instructor, the University of Oklahoma
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
faculty, the Longy School of Music
founding member of loadbang
www.williamlang.org
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

The archive I scraped can be found here:

https://trombonechat.com/viewtopic.php?t=471

You should also be able to find it on archive.org on trombonechat.org if you want to see it directly from the "source".
WilliamLang

Post by WilliamLang »

thanks!
William Lang
Interim Instructor, the University of Oklahoma
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
faculty, the Longy School of Music
founding member of loadbang
www.williamlang.org
Elow

Post by Elow »

Maybe everyone can pitch in $ for a group interview of a couple respected members. Not sure who could interview them, maybe just have a couple people on a zoom call with a list of questions. just ideas
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

Doing a similar thing to a Reddit AMA would be cool, but also difficult given the format of the forum.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
Chatname

Post by Chatname »

True, AMA is of course a better name for it. It doesn’t have to be so complicated, I think. Just a respected person agreeing to answer questions for a period of time.
I’m sure I could get a few good well known names on, if we could get something going. However, it seems natural to start with knowledgeable people already on the forum. In my humble opinion. And I don’t care so much if they sell stuff, as long as people from different businesses get the same opportunity. I would love to hear from MW, Edwards, Courtois , Yamaha and so on, and I would be equally interested in what happens in the industry in China, for example.

Return to “Comments & Suggestions”