How do I search the forum?

Have an idea for improving the forum? Share it here.
AusNB

How do I search the forum?

Post by AusNB »

Sorry if it's a silly question, but I've read the FAQ's and still can't figure it out.

I'm guessing it might be because I'm a "new" member?

I was on TTF a long time, but only got around to joining here recently.

I want to do a proper search before I ask another silly question!

I guess I should just do a few posts and that might get me some further authorisation. I see that this post will probably be moderated before/if appearing. Fair enough and sorry if I've wasted your time.

Regards

Neil
Matt K
Verified

Re: How do I search the forum?

Post by Matt K »

Hi Neil,

If someone doesn’t answer your question before I get inside from watching my kid feel free to bump this later tonight and I’ll answer your question directly.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Okay, all squared away for a few minutes while the little guy gets his bath.

So yes, you need three approved posts before finding much of anything. Your posts won't appear automatically until you get that 3rd approved post either - that's to prevent spam and whatnot. We don't have a hard-and-fast rule about how substantial the posts need to be but we need to see some kind of evidence you aren't a spammer or a scammer. Ideally, something that provides some kind of contribution or interesting inquiry.

Once you get that third post, you can click the magnifying glass on the top right of the interface (I'm not 100% sure where it is on the phone, but if you're on another device I can log into one and see if I can help figure it out).
tjonz

Post by tjonz »

An alternative: search on DuckDuckGo (or Google, or probably other search sites) and append "site:trombonechat.com" to the end of your query. IMHO this produces better results than the native phpBB search facility. For example, a native search for "Tommy Peterson" yields three hits, whereas a DuckDuckGo search for "Tommy Peterson site:trombonechat.com" yields more than a dozen.
AusNB

Post by AusNB »

Thanks both for the replies and sorry for being slow getting back to you. Appreciate the help!
knirirr

Post by knirirr »

I too have just joined, hoping to gain access to the search capability here. I probably don't have much of interest to anyone to say, unfortunately.
However, it appears that the addition of site:trombonechat.com on a DDG search is fairly effective for now.
emsta

Post by emsta »

Thank you. I have also recently joined and have utilised the search function in the past as a non member. Thanks for the tip on using search sites.
craign

Post by craign »

This might be a good post to pin. As a new joiner I was also confused on why I couldn't search the forum until I found this post.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Good idea. Stickied.
BadtotheBone

Post by BadtotheBone »

Illuminating post. I just joined, thinking that once I did that the search box would magically appear. The duckduck tip sounds like a good one, I'll give that one a go.
tosharri

Post by tosharri »

I'm so glad someone posted about this because I was trying to figure out why a forum would not have a search option
Bard

Post by Bard »

Posting my third post here now, hope thereby to get the search functionality enabled. And thank you for the duckduckgo tip.
Silverbee

Post by Silverbee »

I'm grateful. I just joined as well, and I appreciate the advice on using search engines.
joshealejo

Post by joshealejo »

Hello, I would link to know how to be able to see pictures and PM or Email other members. This is my 3rd post, but I've read I would only need 2.

Thanks,
Jose
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

joshealejo wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:56 am Hello, I would link to know how to be able to see pictures and PM or Email other members. This is my 3rd post, but I've read I would only need 2.

Thanks,
Jose
Apologies, we had to bump that up to 3 awhile ago after some incessant spam. I thought I updated all the references to 2. Your most recent post was also not approved (someone has to make the approval so it isn't instant); but you should be good to go now.
joshealejo

Post by joshealejo »

Matt K wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:07 pm
joshealejo wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:56 am Hello, I would link to know how to be able to see pictures and PM or Email other members. This is my 3rd post, but I've read I would only need 2.

Thanks,
Jose
Apologies, we had to bump that up to 3 awhile ago after some incessant spam. I thought I updated all the references to 2. Your most recent post was also not approved (someone has to make the approval so it isn't instant); but you should be good to go now.
Thank you so much! It allows me now!

Jose
rizzo67

Post by rizzo67 »

Would it be a lot of work to update the FAQ, so you can see that you need three approved posts to use the search function,
With more than 2000 views here obviously every new member has this problem, me included.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I think I did, if you see references to two could you link them? I can update in a few minutes.
ryebrye

Post by ryebrye »

I didn't actually see this post before, and just assumed that this forum had some odd aversion to search as some kind of way to encourage everyone to "live in the moment" like some kind of performance piece.

This should be my third post, so once it's approved, I'll be able to search through the sacred texts!
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Problem is that the big search engines pretty much do a better job than phpBB can, so if I need to search, I almost always rely on that. Unless I'm searching for classifieds for some reason, in which case it does actually work pretty well. If only scammers and spammers didn't exist, it would be a lot easier to manage!!
kdsstg

Post by kdsstg »

A third post is required to get search? Can this be mine? Thanks!

Also, the text in the signup form at the question for the not-email-address says 2 posts if you are looking for places to fix.
Last edited by kdsstg on Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

kdsstg wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:05 am A third post is required to get search? Can this be mine? Thanks!

Also, the text in the signup form at the question for the not-email-address says 2 posts if you are looking for places to fix.
This appears to be your second. One more to go.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
BoNeLife

Post by BoNeLife »

Give me that search bar! post 4???
BruceSimonson

Post by BruceSimonson »

New to the forum, searching for search as well!

Cheers,
-Bruce
BruceSimonson

Post by BruceSimonson »

I’ve lost the thread that got me here, and am looking for it.

I’m interested in microtuning issues for the trombone, and landed on a thread (before I registered), that (apparently) includes a pdf of 55 slide positions.

I’m wondering where, what, and how to search for this, now that I’m 2/3rds through my 3 initiate posts.

Suggestions?

Cheers,
-Bruce
BruceSimonson

Post by BruceSimonson »

Greetings!

Besides locating the pdf of 55 slide positions, I’m interested in building up my library of compositions for trombone choir.

Looking forward to exploring the forum, and contributing as I am able.

Cheers,
-Bruce

PS: 3rd post. Third times a charm, hopefully, and not three strikes and you’re out …
Matt4576

Post by Matt4576 »

I wasn't clear until I read this thread that a reply counts as a post. I thought I needed to create three new topics.

I don't have as much experience as most on here so I will try to find some place to add value two more times (first ost).
oneely

Post by oneely »

I too am a newbie and have submitted 2 posts as stated in the registration instructions for this forum. That was only yesterday so I didn't expect an instant approval but I'm glad I found this topic or I would have been waiting forever to be accepted.

The instructions, it would seem to me, could easily be updated by changing the number 2 to 3 and eliminating the confusion for those of us who are not clairvoyant.

I hope this post counts toward qualifying me to enter the sacred gates of full participation in this very interesting and hopefully very helpful forum of trombone lovers.

I know the job of moderating and maintaining a forum like this is not easy, so I hope the persons in charge understand how their efforts are appreciated.

Thanks, Otto Neely
Soulbrass

Post by Soulbrass »

...new member here, as well...

Please let me in... ; ))
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

No Search, etc. until 3 approved posts.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Ahh, sorry about that. I’ll see if I can find the reference. I’ve been squishing the “two post” language for awhile now. I thought I got the last one but I must have missed one. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
tincanbanjo

Post by tincanbanjo »

Thanks so much! I've been a lurker here for a few years but just registered, and now discovered the three post requirement. I've found lots of great info here about brass history (I do a little instrument trading.), usually landing here via Google or such.
Jackjack

Post by Jackjack »

Google search function is also good.
site:trombonechat.com should be working well
Kasstar85

Post by Kasstar85 »

knirirr wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:41 am I too have just joined, hoping to gain access to the search capability here. I probably don't have much of interest to anyone to say, unfortunately.
However, it appears that the addition of site:trombonechat.com on a DDG search is fairly effective for now.

Ahhh. Thank you. I just posted a similar question. Only been on once before in 2022. Gracias
RichardDavenport

Post by RichardDavenport »

Ha Ha ... without a searchbox, I had a realy hard time searching for "where's the searchbox."

I hope this counts as an approved post.

Thanks for this posts!

Richard
bmmead

Post by bmmead »

I appreciate this post! This should (HOPEFULLY) serve as my 3rd approved post and I look forward to being able to search.
MarcusTBone

Post by MarcusTBone »

I wanted to search on airballs, but as pointed out, I can't search until 3 posts. So, this is post #2
BZP3I

Post by BZP3I »

I would like also to get access to a search possibility and the permission to see attached files. At the moment I have two approved posts.
Many thanks in advance for your support.
Martin
76doublebass

Post by 76doublebass »

I was wondering the same thing as I was trying to find a search bar and was getting a bit frustrated as I had questions
about the correct mouthpiece for my newly purchased Conn 8H.
Havenbreaker

Post by Havenbreaker »

I knew there was a reason I should power read through older posts. I saw the req during registration that stated two approved as well as the notice that follows you around at the top of topic boards to remind you of the two approved post req. However, reading through while wondering the same about where "Search" was and some of the other restricted features I learned the 3 post req.
tepposal

Post by tepposal »

tjonz wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:46 pm For example, a native search for "Tommy Peterson" yields three hits, whereas a DuckDuckGo search for "Tommy Peterson site:trombonechat.com" yields more than a dozen.
Try doing the search with the correct spelling for more results: "Tommy Pederson".

I have also used google search with "site:trombonechat.com" and it works well.
(I just registered and this is my first message, so I haven't been able to use the native search function.)
JetMech

Post by JetMech »

Good info here, greatly appreciated. I'm trying to avoid being that guy who posts a topic that's been covered a dozen times already.
AleaD

Post by AleaD »

I'm glad I found this topic. I had been looking for a way to search, but I haven't posted three times yet. All in due time.
JimboFB

Post by JimboFB »

So as a long time voyeur of this place ive only just realised i have no search button and cant see pictures anymore?!?!
So if I post 3 times some fairly inane comments will that open all these exciting avenues to me?
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

No, it needs to be something a little more substantive. We had an issue with scammers posting small snippets. It was a small number, and we were able to get rid of them... or at least I haven't heard of any recent scam attempts. We used to just be able to have users post a few things but had to raise the limit to 3 to kick those users out and then make sure the 3rd post was substantive.

Return to “Comments & Suggestions”