New Sticky Topics

Have an idea for improving the forum? Share it here.
hyperbolica

New Sticky Topics

Post by hyperbolica »

I write a blog about an unrelated topic. On the blog I use purple text to denote sarcasm. Because people need cues like that sometimes. Consider this purple.

[purple]
I suggest a couple of new sticky topics, so we don't have to go through them every month or so:

- Hacking Classic Horns
- Overcompensating Through Bass Trombone Specs
- A Place To Complain About People Over (X) <<== (whatever age you are +10)

Because aren't the rest of us tired of hearing about it? Surely we have other things to talk about?

[/purple]
FOSSIL

Re: New Sticky Topics

Post by FOSSIL »

Are you feeling alright?
What DO YOU want to talk about ?

Chris
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I want to talk about what quartet tunes everybody is going to play when we get off corona.
Or dent removal/solder repair for the mechanically inclined novice.
Or how to lead sectionals with just low brass or the whole back row.
Or how to give visual cues to start, cut off, cresc/decresc, lead the beat, etc...
Or success/failure with self-recording.
Or greatest orchestral brass chorales
Or favorite adaptations of orchestral themes to brass chamber music
Or favorite trombone + X combinations for playing with other instruments
Or cross training for pop and classical playing
Or arranging techniques for chamber music
Or anything YOU want to talk about

or anything really that doesn't turn into a perpetual pissing contest. It's a little tiring, and I need something more uplifting and positive today. Apparently a lot of people do, and just won't admit it. We're all getting a little punchier than usual.
FOSSIL

Post by FOSSIL »

Well, it's simple then....you start the topics and if people want to discuss them they will take off.
The stuff you don't want will die.
Those of us that earn our living playing are looking at possible career ending layoffs. The earliest my company will work is the last week in September and more likely January 2021.... other orchestras are talking about ditching 20-21 altogether . Upbeat is very difficult at the moment.

Chris
afugate

Post by afugate »

FOSSIL wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:53 am Those of us that earn our living playing are looking at possible career ending layoffs. The earliest my company will work is the last week in September and more likely January 2021.... other orchestras are talking about ditching 20-21 altogether . Upbeat is very difficult at the moment.

Chris
Wow. That's very difficult news.

--Andy in OKC

Return to “Comments & Suggestions”