InvisAligner use?

Have an idea for improving the forum? Share it here.
Jc13901

InvisAligner use?

Post by Jc13901 »

any trombonists use/have used the InvisAligner plastic teeth devices? If yes did you practice with them in place? I’m considering investing due to various teeth issues that also impact my embouchure.
Burgerbob

Re: InvisAligner use?

Post by Burgerbob »

I had a friend at work go through an invisalign procedure at work. He tried playing with them in at first, but it was nearly impossible. It did really mess with his face for quite some time. Thankfully, this went through the pandemic and he got to finish it out there instead of playing every day.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
afugate

Post by afugate »

Our daughter had invisalign. It took her roughly a year to get used to playing with them in. (She is a topnotch trombone player collegiate player.)

Interestingly, she didn't take nearly as long to feel comfortable playing without them once she finished the process.

--Andy in OKC
Jc13901

Post by Jc13901 »

So she did play with them in?
nmahon

Post by nmahon »

I had invisalign and played with the retainers in on the job for about a year. It was a challenge but it can work. If your situation allows it, ask the orthodontist not to attach the brackets to your front teeth to give your embouchure more space to resonate in the mouthpiece.
trombone solo, Orchestre Symphonique de Quebec
afugate

Post by afugate »

Jc13901 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:50 pm So she did play with them in?
Yes. FYI, she was in high school at the time. She did experience a few cases where her lips were cut by the invisalign and said she had to relearn where to put the horn on her chops. However, she also won multiple honor band auditions during the time she wore them.

--Andy in OKC
emsta

Post by emsta »

Good to know what to expect, as my daughter will be likely be starting orthodontic treatment (Clear alginers or conventional brackets type). I will remember to ask the orthodontist about how to make it tolerable for her when she plays.

Return to “Comments & Suggestions”