Adrian Hirst, Black Dyke Band, UK

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I received the following message Sunday night cant personally verify it but... "Adrian Hirst (bass trombone player - Black Dyke Trombone Quartet) and his wife Karen have suffered an horrific motobike accident yesterday.   Karen is in a high dependency unit in one hospital with amongst other things concerns with respect to her spine and pelvis.  Adrian's injuries are so bad that he was air-lifted to a different hospital, is in an induced coma in the special intensive care unit, has multiple injuries and needs some extra special
prayers.   I ask for Gods special love and care for Adrian and Karen, for their family, friends and their extended family in the banding world.  I know that the prayer group will uplift their names to the Highest - and thank them for their prayers".

Doug
ttf_blast

Post by ttf_blast »

Very sorry to hear that. I wish them a speedy and full recovery.

Chris Stearn
ttf_second.chance

Post by ttf_second.chance »

So.... an update on the Hirst family came to me today and it reads - "Karen had surgery yesterday afternoon/evening and has just received a little bit of physio getting her to sit on the edge of the bed. The plan is to try and get her to stand tomorrow!

Adrian this afternoon has undergone surgery on his back. Whilst I was with Karen we had news from theatre to say Adrian's operation "had gone to plan" and that he would be back on ICU in the next hour. Whilst still critical Adrian remains in a stable condition.

The plan is to now get Adrian in a more upright position so they can move to the next stage of his care - this may possibly include waking him up.

The family are overwhelmed by all the prayers, love and messages being offered.  Thank you to you all".

Kindest

Doug

ttf_second.chance

A Further Update on Adrian and Karen Hirst

Adrian: The operation on his wrist was completed this afternoon and has "gone to plan", whilst still critical on ICU he has remained stable. One of his chest drains has been removed and the plan is to keep him asleep to see how he goes with the drain removed and if that helps his breathing. The medical team will review his position tomorrow and perhaps look to start to wake him. If all goes ok they may then be able to consider taking Adrian off the ventilator depending on his lung function and oxygen levels.

Karen: Continues to fight through the pain barrier with her physio and is determined to visit Adrian as soon as she can!
James and Amy continue to be comforted knowing that Dad and Mum (as well as themselves) are being thought of and held in prayer by so many people xx

Thank you for continued prayers

ttf_second.chance

The Latest Update... "Karen continues to push on with her physio and plans are underway to get her home in the next week or so.

When I spoke to Adrian and said his name he opened his eyes which really focussed on me before he went back to sleep. He did this a few times. His lungs are doing well and in time the broken bones and fractures will heal. Due to the severe head injuries he sustained however only time will tell what lasting neurological damages this will leave Adrian with.

Yesterday he had a tracheotomy which will no doubt help Adrian communicate. Amy felt her baby kicking so she placed Adrian's hand on her tummy. When the baby kicked he opened his eyes and smiled. As Karen has said to me "we've got all the time in the world".

Please keep praying for small steps forward each day for both Adrian and Karen. Also please pray for the wonderful, skilled and caring medical teams supporting them both and their family".

ttf_second.chance

Here is the latest on Adrian and Karen, seems he had a bit of relapse but is now more than making up for that...

"Plans are well underway now to get Karen home, hopefully tomorrow!! She has been amazing; what a tough lady - but we all know that!

After the last update on Sunday, Adrian had a little set back with an infection and a temperature of 40.8. He was once again sedated and antibiotics administered. Today however his temperature is c37/38 and he was taken off sedation this morning. His responses since coming off sedation have (in context) been great! His eyes are wide open, he is following you around the room and when you ask him to smile or stick his tongue out he does! He was listening to a CD of himself playing "swing low" and he was trying to lift his broken left arm. Amy has just sent a message to me to say he's also nodding & shaking his head to questions, squeezing their hands when asked and moving his arms more. Small steps again but after a blip on Sunday night this is great news.
Keep praying folks, Adrian is certainly "back in the room"..."

ttf_blast

Post by ttf_blast »

It is good to hear such positive news. It may be a long road back, but it looks like the road is there to be travelled. Having had a nasty accident myself years ago, I know how the world can change in a second... and how you can get back on the treadmill... with time and effort.

Chris Stearn
ttf_second.chance

Paul Woodward posted this latest update.... "Just been to see Adrian and he is doing great! Even with his tracheotomy in he is now mouthing words to you and asking how other people are - what a guy!

He is desperate for a coffee.

Every hour they are making Adrian breathe for himself for 10 mins to help build this up bit by bit so that in time the tracheotomy can be removed.

He is giving the "Hirsty thumbs up" when we get things right!

He is so aware of what is going on and thinks the Acrobat challenge is great. He put me right when I said to Amy that  Simon Sykes  played for us at the Nationals in 2015 - he shook his head and mouthed "2014"!

Please keep praying for both Adrian and Karen - they are making progress each day".
ttf_second.chance

Paul Woodward tells us... "Great news - Adrian has today been moved from Intensive Care Unit to High Dependency Unit!
On Friday they were making Adrian breathe for himself for 10 mins every hour as part of his rehabilitation so that in time the tracheotomy can be removed. Today he has been doing his own breathing for 20 mins each hour 👍 (that's a thumbs up from Adrian).
Keep praying folks!"
ttf_savio

Post by ttf_savio »

Hope he will be ok and play again. Good mood is a good sign!

Leif
ttf_second.chance

Paul Woodward updates us further... "Adrian has today been using a speech valve which is fitted to his tracheotomy (when the tracheotomy pipe is removed). This valve in essence stops anything going down the tracheotomy "hole" when the pipe is disconnected - he actually spoke without the valve! Great to hear his voice again and as you can imagine we have had a good catch up!

He is looking forward to the tracheotomy eventually being removed and enjoying a good "nose bag".

Adrian was also telling me about his physio today pointing out this was with 4 female physiotherapists! A special moment was when we telephoned Karen and she could hear his voice for the first time since before the accident.
He has since had some "facetime" with the grandchildren!

Adrian is doing brilliant and has said in true Arnie fashion "I'll be back". You bet you will mate!!"
ttf_second.chance

Paul Woodward continues his updates and the news is good...

"Following the removal of his Tracheotomy on Monday, Adrian has been enjoying cups of tea and coffee. More importantly today he has been advised that he can now start to have some solid foods - bring on the steak!! More good news is that Adrian has this evening been moved off The High Dependency Unit (HDU) to the general Trauma Ward. Can we continue to pray, please"

ttf_second.chance

Karen returned to Leeds General Infirmary today to meet with her surgeon to discuss removing the external fixation. The discussion progressed quickly and turned into the actual removal of the frame, with the only pain relief from gas and air!!! Karen is now back home and feeling much better!

Not to be outdone, Adrian has today been moved from Leeds General Infirmary to Pinderfields Hospital in Wakefield. This is a relatively new hospital and Adrian is on the spinal ward in his own room (I don't think it will be long before his mouthpiece is joining him!). This is a significant milestone for Adrian and marks the next stage in his care plan and rehabilitation. Free TV in his room meant we left him tonight enjoying catching up with the world events........well watching Peter Kay's Car Share!

Adrian and Karen wish to thank you all for your continued well wishes and words of encouragement and support.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Get him a laptop.  This weekend is the World Brass Band championships in Oostende and it is being broadcast (computercast?) on Brassbanned.com.  There may be a small fee to cover the expenses of Handsome Tim and his entourage traveling from Australia.

Glad they are on the mend.
ttf_second.chance

Its a shame Black Dyke are not there or maybe that might make Adrian feel homesick!

I'll pass your thought on.

Doug
ttf_second.chance

So... I got the following update just now. I think the mention of double chocolate cake must mean this is Paul's sister visiting this time rather than Paul though who knows... Paul might be as good with chocolate cake as he is with the trombone. that said maybe the technical detail about mouthpieces confirms Pauls love of chocolate cake himself? I think the physio must be impressed at the lung capacity of a bass trombonist of repute!!

"I have just been to see Adrian who has now had one week at Pinderfields Hospital on the Regional Spinal Unit.

Whilst he has enjoyed the activities and physio this last week, he is a little disappointed with the food!!! His eye's lit up at the double chocolate sponge cake I took in today. He has been given a device for him to suck to help air control as he fills his lungs.......they are having a laugh, he doesn't need any physio with those lungs!! What was great to see was Adrian buzzing on a spare mouthpiece that has been taken in from home. It's a 1 1/4 and he complained its too small!! We then decided to try and fit it to his breathing exerciser - lucky for the little device the bore is too small to receive his mouthpiece!

Karen was visiting Adrian and it was fantastic to see her getting in and out of her wheelchair with apparent ease. Great progress!
Adrian and Karen are an amazing couple and an inspiration to us all.

Keep praying folks for healing and strength for both Adrian and Karen".

ttf_second.chance

For all those wondering about Adrian's progress, Paul Woodward sent me the following update... good news indeed.

"Adrian was released from hospital this week and they have moved to temporary accommodation that can accommodate his wheelchair. Adrian is working hard with his physio and getting back into shape with his playing. Both Karen and Adrian are doing well and appreciate the continued prayers and support offered to them. They are now looking forward to the wedding of their daughter in a couple of weeks’ time – a day of celebrations!"

Soug

ttf_second.chance

For all those wondering about Adrian's progress, Paul Woodward sent me the following update... good news indeed.

"Adrian was released from hospital this week and they have moved to temporary accommodation that can accommodate his wheelchair. Adrian is working hard with his physio and getting back into shape with his playing. Both Karen and Adrian are doing well and appreciate the continued prayers and support offered to them. They are now looking forward to the wedding of their daughter in a couple of weeks’ time – a day of celebrations!"

Soug

Return to “Notices from TTF Members”