Trouble uploading an avatar

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry to ask this but I wasn't able to find any help using the search function: How do I upload an avatar? As of now, I'm getting the following message:

The attachments upload directory is not writable. Your attachment or avatar cannot be saved.

I've tried several different formats, sizes, etc. but nothing seems to work. Thanks for your help.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

This is related to the "Upload Buffer Full" error.  Check my post in "I Can't Post Pictures" for a way around that. 

Remember that your avatar has to be no more than 100x100 pixels.  In the Bad Old Days the Forum software would automatically resize a picture, but I guess it won't do it for yours.

I'd bet if you load your proposed avatar to the Gallery you can then access it as your avatar.  You will find my avatar in my Gallery.
ttf_Todd Jonz

Post by ttf_Todd Jonz »

"Upload buffer full" and "directory is not writable" are two different issues.

"Upload buffer full" suggests that the disk space allocated for storage of images has been exhausted.  Increasing the value of a configuration parameter would resolve this problem -- assuming there is, in fact, space available on the disk.  If not, a hardware upgrade would be necessary.

"Directory is not writable" suggests that files may not be stored in the directory (folder) specified for avatar storage by the user who owns the SMF process.  Ordinarily directories used by SMF and the SMF process itself would be owned by the same user, probably "smf".  This is just an example of sloppy system administration.

Both of these problems could be fixed in a matter of minutes by the Forum's neglectful, absentee proprietor if he were inclined to address them.

ttf_sweabs

Post by ttf_sweabs »

Quote from: BGuttman on Apr 09, 2016, 01:11PMThis is related to the "Upload Buffer Full" error.  Check my post in "I Can't Post Pictures" for a way around that. 

Remember that your avatar has to be no more than 100x100 pixels.  In the Bad Old Days the Forum software would automatically resize a picture, but I guess it won't do it for yours.

I'd bet if you load your proposed avatar to the Gallery you can then access it as your avatar.  You will find my avatar in my Gallery.

As Todd mentions, I think the issues are separate. The avatar I am trying to upload is less than 100x100 pixels so I don't think size is the issue. I also tried to upload the picture to the gallery and received the following error:

Warning Gallery path is not writable! /vhost/tromboneforum.org/www/html/gallery/
ttf_sweabs

Post by ttf_sweabs »

Quote from: BGuttman on Apr 09, 2016, 01:11PMThis is related to the "Upload Buffer Full" error.  Check my post in "I Can't Post Pictures" for a way around that. 

As Todd mentions, I think the issues are separate. The avatar I am trying to upload is less than 100x100 pixels so I don't think size is the issue. I also tried to upload the picture to the gallery and received the following error:

Warning Gallery path is not writable! /vhost/tromboneforum.org/www/html/gallery/

Return to “Comments and Suggestions”