Great Article About "Fact Resistance" on Trumpet Forums That Applies Here

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

How very true.  Great article.

"Opinions are not facts, and facts are not opinions."
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Thanks for sharing this article.

Social science research shows that it's part of the human condition to accept some things without question. At the same time, people refuse to accept things no matter how much evidence is presented--often called denial. We interpret everything we see and hear, and we tend to believe those interpretations: "Seeing something is seeing it as something." People believe what they believe because they want to believe it--they gain something by continuing in a false belief.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Quote from: kbiggs on May 14, 2016, 08:35AMAt the same time, people refuse to accept things no matter how much evidence is presented--often called denial.

You're wrong and you know it. There's no way we can accept that statement. No denying it.

Everyone playing high notes on the trumpet is on small equipment. From my perspective, not a one trumpet note has been played on large equipment. Has anyone seen a trumpet before?
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

I'm not sure I've seen anything here on the trombone forum so absurdly dogmatic as is cited in that post about trumpet forums... but it's a known fact that trumpet players have no good sense.  Image
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

"Wow, yeah, I hate folks like that! I know this isn't aimed towards me, because I only convey the summary of evidence about what I know to be true! Those people don't know what they're talking about."

The takeaway is, what,
(1) don't believe everything you read, and
(2) be conscious when you're stating an opinion, and don't state it like a fact?
ttf_TromboneMonkey

Post by ttf_TromboneMonkey »

I think the takeaway is to have rational discussion, being open to criticism and being willing to offer constructive criticism,  without being overly defensive of subjective ideas. 
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Well, this leads into a discussion about the challenge of scepticism and whether what we call knowledge is actually belief.

On second thoughts, f#*k it. I'll have a glass of tequila instead.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

That's a great article. Internet is full of information, it's interesting but how to sort it out? I think the only way is to be a little skeptic.

Leif
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

That's a great article. Internet is full of information, it's interesting but how to sort it out? I think the only way is to be a little skeptic.

Leif

Return to “Comments and Suggestions”