King Medium Bore Trombones

ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

If a King 607 has a serial number of 291186, in what year was it built? I have done the serial number look-ups and can't really make sense of them for this number.

OBTW: the back-story is that I feel I "need" a decent medium-bore horn for not a great deal of money. I don't really regard the King 3B/F as a true medium-bore horn.

Thanks...

...Geezer
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

King reset the numbers some time in the 1990s starting at 100000.  I know my 1980 7B is 83xxxx so they had to run out fairly soon.
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Thanks Bruce. That's actually close enough for me to not have interest in that horn. I thought it looked too good. Hah!

For a medium-bore horn in the price range I'm thinking, I probably should go somewhere and test-blow them so I don't end up with a dud.

...Geezer
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Thanks again for the info, Bruce. I just bought a 1980 King 2125 for about $1K. Maybe not a steal, but I think a fair price for an excellent horn that had been fully serviced. The first thing I noticed about the horn was the increased amount of copper in the bell vs other Kings I own. It has a nice, mellow and clear sound that is very King-ish. The low trigger notes don't require a huge amount of air for a full sound and the slide action is about a 9.5 out of 10. I wanted a King that is a true medium-bore horn. It's a keeper.

While a King 2125 horn or the like that is in excellent cosmetic and playing condition may be a tad difficult to find, I believe it would make a great "come-back" horn or a horn for an adult beginner. As a "Goldilocks" horn, I believe it could very easily be used for lead solo, a 2nd part or even a 3rd part in a community group. By today's standard,s it certainly is not a true bass trombone as far as symphonic projection or otherwise large pro ensemble work is concerned, but it is still fun to noodle around with on in it's trigger and pedal ranges at home.  I'm having fun playing the Rochut etudes down one octave. Very doable.

...Geezer
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

A 2125F is a great all-around horn.  I find that size to be perfect when you don't know what part you are playing or if you need to cover a variety of parts in one gig.  I tried a 21215F Silver Sonic Anniversary model and was kinda unimpressed with the quality, but I use that size Bach as my go-to horn.

Beats heck out of the 607/608.
ttf_greenbean

Post by ttf_greenbean »

Perhaps Bruce could split this into a new thread.  Geezer's post above have NOTHING to do with this 3-year-old thread. Image

That said, the 2125's from the early 80s are awesome!  I have played several and currently own one.  They are really terrific.  Do-everything horn.  The second iteration of the 3B+ was not quite as good, it seems.
ttf_greenbean

Post by ttf_greenbean »

Perhaps Bruce could split this into a new thread.  Geezer's post above have NOTHING to do with this 3-year-old thread. Image

That said, the 2125's from the early 80s are awesome!  I have played several and currently own one.  They are really terrific.  Do-everything horn.  The second iteration of the 3B+ was not quite as good, it seems.

Return to “Beginners and Returning Trombonists”