Rebirth as valve trombonist?

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Began playing trumpet in the mid-1950s, Vietnam war changed career path from music to broadcasting and it's been 25 years since I tried to blow a trumpet....SO, I've got the itch to try a valve trombone, assuming it will be a bit easier to rebuild a lip.

Have briefly considered a couple of used valve trombones via Craigslist, but wife says "buy a new one....we have to pull money out of the retirement funds anyway."

Am in my early 70s...maybe 6-10 more years of potential playing in nursing homes, small churches, etc.

Is Yamaha the horn to buy since Getzen no longer makes a valve model (or maybe none, period).   I could afford a Bach Strad, but my sense is less money gets just as much horn for someone in my situation.

Candid, no-holds-barred advice is needed.
TIA.
Dave
San Antonio, TX
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

In my opinion, the best valve trombones were made by Olds, who went out of business just before 1980.

I wouldn't go for a Bach valve.  There are much better ones out there.

If you really want to go new, there are some reasonably QC'd Chinese instruments sold by Mack Brass and Wessex Tubas.
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

You oughta get yourself a trombone mouthpiece and start buzzing on it to build up at least a little bit of embouchure and then you could go out and try those Craigslist bargains.
ttf_Graham Martin

Post by ttf_Graham Martin »

I am very happy with my Bach Strad V16 and it is a fit for a 16M bell. So the valve section is matched with the LT16M slide version. I did think at one time I would be able to switch between valves and slide using one bell on a gig but it was not very practical because of tuning and I am not a quick change artist. Image The important thing is that it has a beautiful tone and very smooth valve action.

ttf_Tbonedude

Post by ttf_Tbonedude »

Don't forget that valve trombones come in many shapes and sizes- right now there's a Conn 90G upright valve bone for sale here on the forum. I've heard those play really well. King also made an upright they called the Trombonium. Those tend to have really odd intonation problems, but are otherwise good players.

There's also the occasional marching trombone, where a valve bone is wrapped up to be about the size of a modern mellophone or marching baritone. They are held in a similar manner to a trumpet, but they can be heavy. The best were made by Olds, Bach, and Blessing. I believe that Wessex also makes one, which you can buy new.
ttf_Doug Elliott

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

I suggest finding a used one locally so you can try it and see if it's comfortable to hold.  Some of them tend to feel heavy after a short time and you may decide it's not really what you want to play after all.
ttf_Larry Preston Roberson

Post by ttf_Larry Preston Roberson »

+1 for the idea of getting valve and slide sections with a shared bell section. Keep an eye out on eBay or a site called Reverb for a set.

I saw an Olds with valve and slide sections and case to hold it all at the Brass Instrument Workshop (Rich Ita). I'm not sure if it's still there though.
http://www.brassinstrumentworkshop.com/

Or you could get the best of both worlds, all-in-one: a Superbone.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superbone

I think Holton still makes these. But Wessex and Schiller, among others, make more affordable copies. Welcome to the forum, good luck and have fun!
ttf_Graham Martin

James Morrison has been promoting a new valve/slide superbone by Schagerl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-6nZZrs9Xk

Also their valve trombones are interesting:

http://www.jamesmorrison.com/schagerl/
ttf_Steven

Post by ttf_Steven »

Maybe this was discussed elsewhere, but why are you looking for a valve trombone rather than a slide?
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: Steven on May 19, 2017, 09:25AMMaybe this was discussed elsewhere, but why are you looking for a valve trombone rather than a slide?
Quote from: dnuttall on May 18, 2017, 03:15PMBegan playing trumpet in the mid-1950s, Vietnam war changed career path from music to broadcasting and it's been 25 years since I tried to blow a trumpet....SO, I've got the itch to try a valve trombone, assuming it will be a bit easier to rebuild a lip.

He figures as a former trumpet player he'll gravitate better to valves.

Big problem I see in most valve trombones is that they have NO saddles or triggers to compensate 1st and 3rd valves.  This may not be a problem for some, but I know a lot of trumpet players who make great use of the valve tuning slide adjustments
ttf_Graham Martin

Quote from: BGuttman on May 19, 2017, 10:13AMHe figures as a former trumpet player he'll gravitate better to valves.

Big problem I see in most valve trombones is that they have NO saddles or triggers to compensate 1st and 3rd valves.  This may not be a problem for some, but I know a lot of trumpet players who make great use of the valve tuning slide adjustments

My Bach V16 does! If you look at the picture, you can see the 3rd Valve Slide Adjustment: Ring with Rod and Stop circular finger hold (for your third finger) that adjusts the third valve notes whilst playing. The other valves have their own tuning slides and there is one major tuning slide. Adding the tuning slide on the bell, that makes five tuning slides in total.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Maybe 5 tuning slides, but two are redundant.  One for each valve, sure.  But who really needs two main tuning slides?
ttf_Graham Martin

I did when I was trying to switch between valves and slide with only one bell. Image  That's why I got the second M16 bell from dj. Image

Return to “Beginners and Returning Trombonists”