Picking up a trombone after 28 years!

ttf_demaxx1

Post by ttf_demaxx1 »

Hi Guys, I have been lurking around the forum now for a few weeks. I recently picked me up a tenor trombone with an F attachment similar to what I used to play. I started playing trombone in the 8th grade. I played both concert and marching band through high school. I had a private teacher my Jr. and senior years. Then took music my first two years in college. At the same time I split time playing with a gospel/jazz band. I know how does gospel and jazz go together?  But it worked wonderfully! Then I took a real job and the trombone just become a dust collector in the corner which I later sold.

I for some reason kept the lip drills that me and my private teacher used to go through. Lots of scales and arpeggios. I figured that would be the best place for me to start.If you have other ideas I would gladly listen.

I have noticed something, I have a beard and mustache now. My wife does not want me to shave it off. It seems to be giving me some issues.I press to hard to get a good seal, and that seems to keep me from hitting lower notes well. When I loosen up the pressure to what I remember, I don't get a good seal and can't get a good tone on anything. Suggestions on how to keep the beard and stache, and still get a nice seal would be appreciated. Thanks in advance guys. 
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Can you slip the mouthpiece under the stache?  That's what I do.
ttf_LowrBrass

Post by ttf_LowrBrass »

A buddy of mine grew a mustache, and after finding himself in your situation, he decided he didn't really need his low register.
ttf_gregs70

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

Welcome back, man!  I have played with a 'stach and soul patch for most of my adult life.  Never an issue.  When I shaved it off a few years back, no real change in my playing.  When I grew it back, it felt off for a few weeks than I was back to normal.
ttf_demaxx1

Post by ttf_demaxx1 »

Quote from: gregs70 on Aug 02, 2017, 07:46PMWelcome back, man!  I have played with a 'stach and soul patch for most of my adult life.  Never an issue.  When I shaved it off a few years back, no real change in my playing.  When I grew it back, it felt off for a few weeks than I was back to normal.

Thanks! My stache and beard are really stiff hair. It feels like it is pricking my lips when I play. I may try to trim it so that it is above my lip, and keep practicing.
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

I have a worn spot on my soup strainer on one side of my upper chops, so I trim the other side to match. I never liked to let it grow long to where I would have to brush it off to the sides. I don't like to eat hair.  Image

My full and luxurious beard never enters into the party.

My long, golden locks never get in the way.

My muscles that ripple and gleam in the sunshine help me support the horn.

When I flash a smile, a ray of light sparkles on my teeth and people hear a "ding".

I was "off" for 45 years. Now when I play high, very very high, it sounds like a fine thread of gold woven into a silken fabric. And when I play low, very very low, the men sigh & the ladies cry.

...Geezer
ttf_Russ White

Post by ttf_Russ White »

Long Tones. Hours and hours and hours of long tones. When I came back to the horn after about the same layoff you have had, I had a teacher tell me the best thing I could do would be to not play anything at all but long tones until I could hold a tuner dead solid on pitch for an hour. He was being just a bit hyperbolic, but it was really good advice. Make it a major part of your re-immersion program. It will help everything else.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

After a similar layoff, I found that more short practice sessions brought my chops back more quickly than anything.  I also found a good teacher as soon as I got the horn, and started with lessons right away.  Good Luck

Ray
ttf_Pre59

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

Quote from: Geezerhorn on Aug 03, 2017, 03:46AM
My full and luxurious beard never enters into the party.

My long, golden locks never get in the way.

My muscles that ripple and gleam in the sunshine help me support the horn.

When I flash a smile, a ray of light sparkles on my teeth and people hear a "ding".

I was "off" for 45 years. Now when I play high, very very high, it sounds like a fine thread of gold woven into a silken fabric. And when I play low, very very low, the men sigh & the ladies cry.

...Geezer

Keep taking those tablets!...  Image
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: Pre59 on Aug 03, 2017, 05:08AMKeep taking those tablets!...  Image

Lol. AND having those dreams!

I know the OP didn't really ask for this kind of advice, but it seems required on this Forum. lol   Slurs; slow at first and increasing the speed/complexity of them. Concentrate on absolutely no visible motion in the chopal area!

...Geezer
ttf_JimArcher

Post by ttf_JimArcher »

My gap was 42 years.  I restarted in 1999, since then I've always had a 'stash & beard, never did anything to adapt, never had a problem
ttf_demaxx1

Post by ttf_demaxx1 »

Quote from: JimArcher on Aug 03, 2017, 06:39AMMy gap was 42 years.  I restarted in 1999, since then I've always had a 'stash & beard, never did anything to adapt, never had a problem

ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Sorry guys, but I still have you all beat at 45 years!

...Geezer
ttf_demaxx1

Post by ttf_demaxx1 »

Quote from: Geezerhorn on Aug 10, 2017, 06:01AMSorry guys, but I still have you all beat at 45 years!

...Geezer

ttf_billepstein

Post by ttf_billepstein »

I first grew my moustache at age three. Image

Snagged some pretty good gigs with it on my face over the next 40 odd years, then quit playing.

Coming back now at age 70 I found that:
A: Moustache had to go
B: Conventional wisdom slurs, slurs, slurs were good for muscles but death on regaining tone and intonation. Attack! Attack! my teacher used to holler. He was right. Now I play each Remington warm-up twice, slurred and attacked.
C: Don't know when, if ever, I'll unconsciously hit THAT note again. So many 'A's come out as Kazoo 'E's and vice-versa. 

ttf_KingMan

Post by ttf_KingMan »

It was 35 for me. In addition to all the advice in this thread, I'd also suggest that you get a book of easy to intermediate jazz solos and a book of Rochut etudes to rebuild your sense of melody. Long tones, intervals, etc. are fine, but our goal is to make music.

Enjoy the ride1

Joel
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: KingMan on Aug 14, 2017, 10:47AMIt was 35 for me. In addition to all the advice in this thread, I'd also suggest that you get a book of easy to intermediate jazz solos and a book of Rochut etudes to rebuild your sense of melody. Long tones, intervals, etc. are fine, but our goal is to make music.

Enjoy the ride1

Joel

I think that is great advice, but there are a lot of "symphonicos" who think "jazz" is a four-letter word. And there are a lot of "jazzers" who might think that Rochut or etude is a four-letter word. But your advice to practice being musical - regardless of whatever genre you are fond of - is sound. Actually, I believe that even the most basic exercise ought to be practiced as musically as possible.  Image

...Geezer
ttf_Jim Medill

Post by ttf_Jim Medill »

First of all welcome back and remember to take some time in every practice to play what you love to hear.

There are a lot of old trombone players out here. The standing joke in our Annapolis Royal Band is that we may never have 76 trombones but we are damn close to having 6 trombones over 70.

Geezerhorn I have you beat - I put down my Baritone when I graduated high school in 1965 and bought a valve trombone and joined our community band in 2015.

Don't forget the "Old Man Rule" - The older I get the better I was!
ttf_davdud101

Post by ttf_davdud101 »

Quote from: Geezerhorn on Aug 14, 2017, 11:08AM Image

I think that is great advice, but there are a lot of "symphonicos" who think "jazz" is a four-letter word. And there are a lot of "jazzers" who might think that Rochut or etude is a four-letter word. But your advice to practice being musical - regardless of whatever genre you are fond of - is sound. Actually, I believe that even the most basic exercise ought to be practiced as musically as possible.  Image

...Geezer

That's some advice I took for myself about 2 years ago when starting with trumpet.
I hated long tones in the beginning, but after a while I found a comfort in knowing that by really focusing my energy into making the most beautiful, pure, in-tune tone possible at that given time, I'm both improving my muscle memory to produce the best sound I can, solidifying good techniques for air, embouchure and intonation, and of course sort of just enjoying the feeling of playing one's best right then and there - unobstructed by the difficulties that come with reading music, performing before an audience, sitting beside a recording iPhone...
ttf_demaxx1

Post by ttf_demaxx1 »

Quote from: davdud101 on Oct 18, 2017, 07:03AMThat's some advice I took for myself about 2 years ago when starting with trumpet.
I hated long tones in the beginning, but after a while I found a comfort in knowing that by really focusing my energy into making the most beautiful, pure, in-tune tone possible at that given time, I'm both improving my muscle memory to produce the best sound I can, solidifying good techniques for air, embouchure and intonation, and of course sort of just enjoying the feeling of playing one's best right then and there - unobstructed by the difficulties that come with reading music, performing before an audience, sitting beside a recording iPhone...

I have been sitting with my tuner doing long tones, and getting my notes correct. It really has made my playing much better over all.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: Geezerhorn on Aug 10, 2017, 06:01AMSorry guys, but I still have you all beat at 45 years!

...Geezer

Hi, Geezerhorn I just had my membership approved and I just dragged out my marching horn this afternoon. I can match you at 45 years. I have a bit of practicing to do.
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: Bruce E on Dec 13, 2017, 04:45PMHi, Geezerhorn I just had my membership approved and I just dragged out my marching horn this afternoon. I can match you at 45 years. I have a bit of practicing to do.

Yes you do. That hardest part for me has been and continues to be to push my range up.

Good luck!

...Geezer
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: Bruce E on Dec 13, 2017, 04:45PMHi, Geezerhorn I just had my membership approved and I just dragged out my marching horn this afternoon. I can match you at 45 years. I have a bit of practicing to do.

Yes you do. That hardest part for me has been and continues to be to push my range up.

Good luck!

...Geezer

Return to “Beginners and Returning Trombonists”