doubling/trombone/horn?

ttf_anonymous

doubling/trombone/horn?

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi, Everybody,
What are your feelings or experiences about playing both trombone and horn alternately, like both every day?  Can this be done?  I'd like to be able to do both, but from what I hear, it's not too unanimous.  Some people say it's fine, and others don't think so.  I'm a beginner on both.  I would appreciate any thoughts on the matter.
Thanks very much,
Lisa Davidson
ttf_BGuttman

doubling/trombone/horn?

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I know some people who played both.  But I'm not one of them.  I borrowed a horn from my Community Band and fought with it for 2 years.  The horn won.
ttf_Steven

doubling/trombone/horn?

Post by ttf_Steven »

Can it be done?  Sure it can be done.  Personally I would rather spend my time focused on one instrument.  I would improve faster.  Since you're not me... do what you want.

ttf_davdud101

doubling/trombone/horn?

Post by ttf_davdud101 »

Haha. I've at the very least had great success doubling high brass (trumpet/flugel) and low brass (small/large bore bone and euph). I have a marching horn that uses a proper horn mouthpiece but I'm not much good at it.... like Steve said, it's your time  Image

If it were me, ofc, I'd look at the one I want to play more vs. the one that I need to improve the most at, and structure my practices based on that.

Again... up to you as far as I'm concerned  Image
ttf_svenlarsson

doubling/trombone/horn?

Post by ttf_svenlarsson »

It can done, if you are prepared to work! Practise both horns every day! Decide what horn is the main, practise more on that horn, the other horn less maybe only 15 minutes a day after you have found how your ambouchure works on it.
It is not easy. I had some students in the 80th doubling horn and trombone that did it fine. I did it in the 60th my self. I have no reason to do it today  Image
ttf_Translucent

doubling/trombone/horn?

Post by ttf_Translucent »

Thank you, everybody.  You have helped a lot.
ttf_robcat2075

doubling/trombone/horn?

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

I had difficulty switching among different-sized mouthpieces. Eventually neither felt right.
ttf_davdud101

doubling/trombone/horn?

Post by ttf_davdud101 »

Quote from: robcat2075 on Oct 13, 2017, 10:24AMI had difficulty switching among different-sized mouthpieces. Eventually neither felt right.

Was that different instruments as well? Or just different rims on similar/same horns? I do try to standardize my rim-sizes, but my chops are more comfortable on average-to-larger rims on high brass and smaller-to-more average rims on low brass. As long as the rim of the smaller horn doesn't interfere with the placement of the rim of the larger horn, I usually can retain a decent sound jumping between lows and highs
ttf_RMTrombone

doubling/trombone/horn?

Post by ttf_RMTrombone »

If I wanted to do this I would read Philip Farkas' book The Art of French Horn Playing.

http://a.co/fb7iFzn

Quote from Amazon reviewer "Carol":
"Doesn't matter if you're a beginner, intermediate horn player, or an expert everyone can benefit from reading this book. Is it outdated? Sure, maybe a little, but this is still the 'bible' of horn playing and a must read."
ttf_RMTrombone

doubling/trombone/horn?

Post by ttf_RMTrombone »

If I wanted to do this I would read Philip Farkas' book The Art of French Horn Playing.

http://a.co/fb7iFzn

Quote from Amazon reviewer "Carol":
"Doesn't matter if you're a beginner, intermediate horn player, or an expert everyone can benefit from reading this book. Is it outdated? Sure, maybe a little, but this is still the 'bible' of horn playing and a must read."

Return to “Beginners and Returning Trombonists”