Here goes nothing

ttf_Nanook

Here goes nothing

Post by ttf_Nanook »

Well, after being off the horn for 40 plus years, and two years of professional lessons, I'm gong to be making my concert debut tomorrow...Our community band is packed with talent, my section has a former USMC band member,a retired symphony musician and two music teachers...Anyway, I'm here practicing our 20 song program and starting to get a bit nervous anticipating the concert with my family, friends and former work colleges in attendance...Pretty exciting stuff to finally be able to participate, all be it in a small way, in a performance...I have a very long way to go, but I guess this one of many first steps all you guys had to go thru...Wish me luck...

Nanook

ttf_BGuttman

Here goes nothing

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Good luck.  Just play your best.  If you get lost, pretend (don't play but move the slide) until you figure out where you are.  Everybody out there wants you to be great.
ttf_Geezerhorn

Here goes nothing

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Just relax and have fun!

At the very least, you will be styling with your gold-rimmed mpc!

...Geezer
ttf_LeoInFL

Here goes nothing

Post by ttf_LeoInFL »

Ditto, have fun! Fill the horn, count your rests, watch for cutoffs and cressendi/decressendi, etc. Don't sweat the cracked notes or missed entrances - it happens.
ttf_vegasbound

Here goes nothing

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

Have fun, have eggnog , if payout play a wrong note, no one dies!
ttf_watermailonman

Here goes nothing

Post by ttf_watermailonman »

Quote from: Nanook on Dec 20, 2017, 09:09AMWell, after being off the horn for 40 plus years, and two years of professional lessons, I'm gong to be making my concert debut tomorrow...Our community band is packed with talent, my section has a former USMC band member,a retired symphony musician and two music teachers...Anyway, I'm here practicing our 20 song program and starting to get a bit nervous anticipating the concert with my family, friends and former work colleges in attendance...Pretty exciting stuff to finally be able to participate, all be it in a small way, in a performance...I have a very long way to go, but I guess this one of many first steps all you guys had to go thru...Wish me luck...

Nanook

You just have to do your best not more than that and this is what anyone can do if they are really serious about their playing. Do a proper warmup at home and come early to the gig. I always come at least half an hour before a concert starts often a whole hour earlier if possible.

/Tom
ttf_BGuttman

Here goes nothing

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: watermailonman on Dec 20, 2017, 10:12AMYou just have to do your best not more than that and this is what anyone can do if they are really serious about their playing. Do a proper warmup at home and come early to the gig. I always come at least half an hour before a concert starts often a whole hour earlier if possible.

/Tom

To add to this, if the place needs help setting up, help set up.  If the place needs help tearing down, help tear down.  You will enhance your value if you are perceived as somebody who helps rather than just shows up to play.
ttf_BillO

Here goes nothing

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: BGuttman on Dec 20, 2017, 10:32AMTo add to this, if the place needs help setting up, help set up.  If the place needs help tearing down, help tear down.  You will enhance your value if you are perceived as somebody who helps rather than just shows up to play.
Amen!
ttf_Nanook

Here goes nothing

Post by ttf_Nanook »

Wow, thanks for all of the support and advise...This forum has been a crutch for me on many occasions during this journey...Thanks to you all...

Nanook
ttf_BGuttman

Here goes nothing

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Knock 'em dead, Nanook (Frank Zappa?) Image
ttf_robcat2075

Here goes nothing

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

May you and your ensemble do great!
ttf_Stretch Longarm

Here goes nothing

Post by ttf_Stretch Longarm »

Quote from: Nanook on Dec 20, 2017, 09:09AMWell, after being off the horn for 40 plus years, and two years of professional lessons, I'm gong to be making my concert debut tomorrow...Our community band is packed with talent, my section has a former USMC band member,a retired symphony musician and two music teachers...Anyway, I'm here practicing our 20 song program and starting to get a bit nervous anticipating the concert with my family, friends and former work colleges in attendance...Pretty exciting stuff to finally be able to participate, all be it in a small way, in a performance...I have a very long way to go, but I guess this one of many first steps all you guys had to go thru...Wish me luck...

Nanook

Don't be intimidated by "better" players...if they were so exceptionally remarkable, why are they in the community band?  Image They're just people like you (albeit with perhaps more muscle memory from having played longer)...and they probably enjoy the cameraderie of playing with others, just as much as you...your notes are every bit as important as theirs in the chord, they want you to succeed too. Just remember to breathe, and relax your shoulders - everything will be fine.
ttf_bigbandaxes

Here goes nothing

Post by ttf_bigbandaxes »

Just went through the exact same thing. Have fun making music again!
ttf_Geordie

Here goes nothing

Post by ttf_Geordie »

Good luck - you are all on the same side, including the audience members.  Use your early arrival time to make sure the music stand is the right height for when you are playing and that the lighting is ok.  Check you have enough room for mutes, trombone stand and moving your slide etc.  Then forget all that sort of logistics and enjoy playing the music. Image
ttf_Nanook

Here goes nothing

Post by ttf_Nanook »

All of this support means a great deal to me...What a special community to be part of...During rehearsals I enjoy when the trumpet sections gets into some tiff with the music director and I see the two most accomplished players in our section murmur to one another ending in a muted chuckle...I'd love to know what they are saying about the trumpet section...Great stuff I'm sure...

Nanook
ttf_Nanook

Here goes nothing

Post by ttf_Nanook »

Well I survived...My wife recorded a few songs, and I couldn't believe how good it sounded...My ringing endorsement was my father in law, he didn't fall asleep during the performance...Now I know we sounded good...Thanks again for the advice and the support...

Nanook
ttf_sacfxdx

Here goes nothing

Post by ttf_sacfxdx »

Glad to hear it went well.  When I started back after 40 years off I got invited to play in a jazz band.  I was so nervous before the first note.  Once they started to play I got the best feeling.  I love the music and now I am actually playing it.  Not always the best player but I always try my best.  Keep at it.  It'll only get better.

Now if I could just retire and do it full time that would be great.   Image

sacfxdx
ttf_timothy42b

Here goes nothing

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

I like playing in a section with better musicians.  It can be like taking a lesson for free.

Occasionally, rarely of course, I end up with a section player who is less accomplished.  That does no harm at all except if they aren't quick to catch dynamics.  In a loud section it doesn't matter, they probably won't project like the better players.  If they don't notice a soft section, they can end up playing loud when everybody else got soft.  If you're sensitive to that you'll do fine.  I try hard not to be "that guy."  Of course given aged eyes it can happen. 
ttf_Geezerhorn

Here goes nothing

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

When I first started, I never played the last measure in a march. I was terrified of being the guy who solos a stinger on the end when everyone has finished playing. THAT sort of thing is best left to the woodwinds.  Image 

...Geezer
ttf_BGuttman

Here goes nothing

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: Nanook on Dec 21, 2017, 10:34AM...During rehearsals I enjoy when the trumpet sections gets into some tiff with the music director and I see the two most accomplished players in our section murmur to one another ending in a muted chuckle...I'd love to know what they are saying about the trumpet section...Great stuff I'm sure...

Nanook

They were probably asking who taught Frank Zappa how to play trombone Image
ttf_BGuttman

Here goes nothing

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: Nanook on Dec 21, 2017, 10:34AM...During rehearsals I enjoy when the trumpet sections gets into some tiff with the music director and I see the two most accomplished players in our section murmur to one another ending in a muted chuckle...I'd love to know what they are saying about the trumpet section...Great stuff I'm sure...

Nanook

They were probably asking who taught Frank Zappa how to play trombone Image

Return to “Beginners and Returning Trombonists”