Avoid the burnout...

ttf_Dixieland57

Avoid the burnout...

Post by ttf_Dixieland57 »

Hi everybody, have some of you experienced burnout.

Sometimes I feel myself not too far from this situation.

I try to do my best everyday, in term of time invested, concentration, and everything that can make me progress.

But sometimes when I can't play as much as I would or get hungry pretty fast, at the end of the day I feel frustated and guilty...

I know I never become a good national reconize musician, I just would make a living teaching and make money playing gigs and been a good local player.

If someone have some experience or some recommandation I will be grateful.

Thank you

ttf_Burgerbob

Avoid the burnout...

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

Of course.

What I do is take joy in the little ways that I progress. Maybe it's literally sounding better on 1 note that day, but I will take that and run with it, every day.

Also, one important part of practice is to do things you are not good at- but that's not very good for burnout! I try to take time every once in a while to just relish in something I can do well and be happy about it.

Just remember, it's always for fun.

ttf_GetzenBassPlayer

Avoid the burnout...

Post by ttf_GetzenBassPlayer »

Play for fun every now and then. Everything doesn’t have to be aimed at improving.
ttf_bonesmarsh

Avoid the burnout...

Post by ttf_bonesmarsh »

When burnout approaches just play melodies...nothing else. Get the Alessi/Bowman Arbans and just play the simple melodies until you feel better.

Begin sessions with melody--end with melody. Flutes get it in every crappy beginner band book ---low brass never get it. Reward yourself with lots of melody. Buy a bass clef jazz fake book and just play melody.
Great for reading, better for the soul.
ttf_lauriet

Avoid the burnout...

Post by ttf_lauriet »

I have played golf for 35 years. My motivation was, it was hard, and I wanted to be good at it.
Now I'm good at it, and it's not a burning desire any more.
So I've taken up trombone because it's hard and I want to be good at it.

The fun is in the journey, not the destination.
Have you reached your destination ?

ttf_Dixieland57

Avoid the burnout...

Post by ttf_Dixieland57 »

Quote from: lauriet on Jan 02, 2018, 10:43PMI have played golf for 35 years. My motivation was, it was hard, and I wanted to be good at it.

Oh no I've very far away from my destination
ttf_Nanook

Avoid the burnout...

Post by ttf_Nanook »

Quote from: lauriet on Jan 02, 2018, 10:43PMI have played golf for 35 years. My motivation was, it was hard, and I wanted to be good at it.

Funny, but that's what motivates me as well...No chance of me ever getting tired of the trombone...Image

Nanook
ttf_Bassboy

Avoid the burnout...

Post by ttf_Bassboy »

It can be fun to just play stuff you want to play, too.

Not necessarily just trombone stuff either. Hear something in movies, radio, or tv? Play it. Maybe make a fun arrangement out of it.
Or just have a fun ear training day by playing what you hear. Nothing wrong with purchasing music for other instruments or voice either.

Hint: this is why a lot of people play chamber music with their friends as well. Getting some people together to play quartets, or just playing duets with a buddy over a six-pack isn't a bad way to spend an afternoon.
ttf_jackbird

Avoid the burnout...

Post by ttf_jackbird »

Quote from: Bassboy on Jan 03, 2018, 06:05AMHint: this is why a lot of people play chamber music with their friends as well. Getting some people together to play quartets, or just playing duets with a buddy over a six-pack isn't a bad way to spend an afternoon.

Bingo. This has been the key for me on trombone. We got a bunch of semi-retiree/home office workers and play quartets one afternoon a week. Lots of fun. Endless variety. You can even play out for people at the supermarket, nursing homes, hospitals, downtown, churches, weddings, funerals, patriotic events, etc.
ttf_Geezerhorn

Avoid the burnout...

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

At bedtime, when I can think of just one thing - however profound or minuscule it might be - that I have learned on my horn that day, I consider it to be a productive day and very motivating for me to get at it again the next morning.

...Geezer
ttf_davdud101

Avoid the burnout...

Post by ttf_davdud101 »

Seems there is ALWAYS more ground to cover... even with golf, (lauriet!! Image )
Of course there's also the law of diminishing returns once you hit a certain point - but again, there's always new skills to be learned, more knowledge to be gained, new things to discover.... knowing that - though it may be frustrating sometimes when things don't seem like they're working out - can often help me avoid burning out.
ttf_MikeyBonez

Avoid the burnout...

Post by ttf_MikeyBonez »

I bought a Tromba and put it on its stand next to my TV. Don't have to worry about leaving it out or getting banged up.

As busy as I am, I usually have about 15 minutes a day to watch the news, which now becomes news/tromba practice.  Image
ttf_MikeyBonez

Avoid the burnout...

Post by ttf_MikeyBonez »

I bought a Tromba and put it on its stand next to my TV. Don't have to worry about leaving it out or getting banged up.

As busy as I am, I usually have about 15 minutes a day to watch the news, which now becomes news/tromba practice.  Image

Return to “Beginners and Returning Trombonists”