Rasping playing A in treble clef and G in bass clef

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi
I returned to playing the trombone after 37 years. I have a tendancy to rasp when playing A or G sharp (treble cleff, brass band), particulary if a solo and I am maybe playing louder than usual, and have to fight the rasp to get a good note. I have returned to playing about 3 years now,and have continued with this problem on three different horns, Besson Westminster, Yamaha 354 & 454. I am wondering if I need to change the mouthpiece but where can you try before you buy? Mouthpieces are expensive especially if it is technique rather than bone structure which is causing the problem. I generally do not have problems with tone and can play over two octaves normal range. It is just the middle G/F sharp note range (in bass cleff) (and easy zone) which seems a little wild and unruly. I have asked all the experienced musicians I know and so far no one has been able to offer any help or suggestions Image Image
Any ideas most welcome.
Best regards
Roy
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I will preface this by saying that a Skype lesson with Doug Elliott may help more than anything I or any of us write.

Many of us use a variety of embouchures for different ranges.  Often one transition is right around Ab (Bb for you in Treble Clef).  You are in the "no man's land" between two settings.  The way around this is to work at it from both sides: play from above and go down trying to make sure you use the same embouchure setting and then work from below trying to do the same thing.

Ideally you want one embouchure setting throughout your range, but if you need different setups you need to make sure that the transition is covered.
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

That rasp may be a double buzz, so it might be worth searching here for that.  There are lots of threads on it.

I would spend the money on the lesson with Doug before dropping the same amount or more on mouthpieces.  It is more likely to be fixable technique than equipment. 
ttf_Doug Elliott

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

That is a typical range for a double buzz to happen.  It's when your bottom lip gets out of control.  The immediate fix is to play softer, but you need a permanent solution which may be a few different things.

1.  Feel like you're pulling your bottom lip in a little in that range, so it doesn't tend to flip out.
2.  Maybe try a little higher mouthpiece placement, which may anchor your bottom lip a little so that doesn't happen.
3.  Learn to freebuzz around a middle Bb to D (concert pitch), with your bottom lip in slightly over your teeth.  The action of pulling it in and holding it there helps to strengthen the required muscles.  Don't let it flip out.

I can definitely help you with a lesson, but try that stuff, it may be all you need.
ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

Have a Skype lesson with Doug...will save you hours of frustration and £££'s or $$$'s you would spend on looking for a miracle mouthpiece!  Image
ttf_afugate

Post by ttf_afugate »

Quote from: vegasbound on Jan 02, 2018, 10:24PMHave a Skype lesson with Doug...will save you hours of frustration and £££'s or $$$'s you would spend on looking for a miracle mouthpiece!  Image

Yep.  Just learn to do it correctly while you are in your relearning period.  You'll enjoy what you are returning to far more than if you just try to work things out by yourself.

--Andy in OKC
ttf_peteriley

Post by ttf_peteriley »

I had a similar problem when I "came back". I posted about it here too and got great advice. My problem was that I was using two different embouchures for low and middle and the "rasping"  or double-buzz was coming in at the cross-over, where the air-stream changed direction. See some great videos by Dave Wilken:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOVWn8_GQIQ

Also Matonizz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FNrx4kStmo&t=674s

Both really helped me, as well as suggestions from Doug and others on this forum.

Pete
ttf_peteriley

Post by ttf_peteriley »

I had a similar problem when I "came back". I posted about it here too and got great advice. My problem was that I was using two different embouchures for low and middle and the "rasping"  or double-buzz was coming in at the cross-over, where the air-stream changed direction. See some great videos by Dave Wilken:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOVWn8_GQIQ

Also Matonizz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FNrx4kStmo&t=674s

Both really helped me, as well as suggestions from Doug and others on this forum.

Pete

Return to “Beginners and Returning Trombonists”