Rec. for Trombone lip flexibility study book

ttf_peteriley

Post by ttf_peteriley »

Hi,

I'm looking for a lip flexibility study book to extend the material I got from my teacher. That has been great, but only has a few high-Bb's and not many large interval jumps. I was hoping there was a progressive book that starts with easier exercises and builds on them, both in range and in interval width. I have Arban of course, which has the interval section.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, Pete
ttf_Burgerbob

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

Brad Edwards Lip Slurs. Exactly what you need.
ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

Chas Collin
ttf_peteriley

Post by ttf_peteriley »

Quote from: Burgerbob on Jan 05, 2018, 11:21AMBrad Edwards Lip Slurs. Exactly what you need.

Hi Bob,

Thanks- that looks perfect. I see there are two editions, so the Lip Slur Melodies is probably better to get as an update?

http://www.hickeys.com/search.php?q=lip+slur+melodies

Cheers, Pete
ttf_Dan Hine

Post by ttf_Dan Hine »

Quote from: peteriley on Jan 05, 2018, 11:39AMHi Bob,

Thanks- that looks perfect. I see there are two editions, so the Lip Slur Melodies is probably better to get as an update?

Cheers, Pete

They are two different books.  You can view sample pages on his website to help you determine which you'd prefer.

http://trombonezone.org/38-2/
ttf_peteriley

Post by ttf_peteriley »

Quote from: Dan Hine on Jan 05, 2018, 12:19PMThey are two different books.  You can view sample pages on his website to help you determine which you'd prefer.

http://trombonezone.org/38-2/

Hi Dan,

Thanks - that's perfect. I had thought one might be a revision of the earlier one, but they're complementary. I'll start with "Lip Slurs" and move onto the melodies later.

Cheers, Pete
ttf_trombonemetal

Post by ttf_trombonemetal »

Schlossberg (probably didn’t spell that right) and marsteller are both great.
ttf_jimkinkella

Post by ttf_jimkinkella »

I'm a fan of Matty Shiner's Lip Builder.
There are a couple of progressive versions of some Remington exercises that can be a bear as well.
ttf_mr.deacon

Post by ttf_mr.deacon »

Quote from: peteriley on Jan 05, 2018, 11:39AMHi Bob,

Cheers, Pete
A better way to put it is Lip Slur Studies is a method book while Lip Slur Melodies is a book of only etudes.

Personally I would buy both. There are some really helpful exercises in the method book that I really enjoy and I think are worth the price of admission.
ttf_The Bone Ranger

Post by ttf_The Bone Ranger »

Quote from: mr.deacon on Jan 05, 2018, 11:14PMA better way to put it is Lip Slur Studies is a method book while Lip Slur Melodies is a book of only etudes.

Agreed. Treat the Lip Slur Melodies like you would a Rochut/Bordogni, that you just happen to slur!

These Brad Edwards books are excellent. So well laid out, progressive, and good challenges for every level of player. These will be standard material for trombone players for decades to come.

Andrew
ttf_bigbassbone1

Post by ttf_bigbassbone1 »

The Edwards books really are great. You cant go wrong with those.

Having said that, my favourite lip slur/flexibility exercises are in Eric Klay's book "Daily exercises for Bb/f trombone". His book has a while section on fast lip slurs which covers lines, intervals etc....

When I was studying with Eric, he would insist I do the exercises in various octaves, and extend most exercises to include multiple octaves or intervals at once. I have adapted and extended just about every exercise he has in that section of the book and I find its one of the only flexibility routines I get noticeable and useful benefit from doing. 
ttf_Dukesboneman

Post by ttf_Dukesboneman »

The Remington Warm-ups

ttf_EdGrissom

Post by ttf_EdGrissom »

Greg Waits has a book called Advanced Flexibility Studies for the Jazz Trombonist.  It's got some good stuff in it.  It handed my rear end to me the first time I played out of it but the concept works if you try it.
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

They are ALL good, IMO. I haven't found a "bad" flexibility book yet! It's what we put into them that determines what we get out of them. It's not just about honking out the notes. It's about quality. And let's not discount improvising our own flexibilities to work out a specific concern or to achieve a specific goal.

...Geezer
ttf_GetzenBassPlayer

Post by ttf_GetzenBassPlayer »

The Marstellar book, Daily Routines, has some good basic flexibility studies. I like the Brad Edwards book, but for someone just starting out or is looking for a less complicated set of routines, Daily Roitines does a good job.
ttf_peteriley

Post by ttf_peteriley »

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions. I've got the Edwards book and it's exactly what I needed.
ttf_peteriley

Post by ttf_peteriley »

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions. I've got the Edwards book and it's exactly what I needed.

Return to “Beginners and Returning Trombonists”