Suggestions

Post Reply
ttf_anonymous
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:09 pm

Suggestions

Post by ttf_anonymous » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:33 pm

Hi I'm new to here and I'm hoping to get a couple of suggestions.

I have been playing lead trombone in my high school band for 2 years now and I'm graduating this year. I have been playing on a double rotor Yamaha Xeno Bass trombone with a Bach 5G megatone mouthpiece. The bass trombone at our school is more of a status piece because I've never had to play low for my music but I'm curious as to what kind of mouthpiece would go to a bass trombone. I've played around with a tuba mouthpiece in it and I could hit a pedle D but that feels like cheating.

Also when I graduate I want to start saving for the most epic trombone. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions towards an instrument + mouthpiece combination. I've been looking at the Christian Lindburg mouthpieces and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with them.

Thank you guys so much for whatever you can help me with.
ttf_BGuttman
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:15 pm

Suggestions

Post by ttf_BGuttman » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:50 pm

First, a bass trombone will normally take a much larger mouthpiece than a 5G, although not as large as a tuba mouthpiece.

Most of us start on a Bach 2G or Bach 1 1/2 G (or equivalent).  Some of us move to a larger piece.  The 1.5G is about 1.08" rim diameter.  Some of us go to 1.12 or even 1.16" rim diameter  Most tuba mouthpieces are 1.25" inside diameter (except for very old turn-of-the-20th-Century types which are actually bass trombone sized.

If you want to play bass trombone, a bass trombone sized mouthpiece is nice.  If you want to play tenor, a smaller instrument is more appropriate.

Lindberg mouthpieces have a reputation of being "cookie cutters" because if you use a lot of pressure of mouthpiece against lips you will find it tends to cut into them.  Lindberg must use very little pressure because he sure sounds nice on his.  If you want an "awesome" (i.e. very expensive) mouthpiece, Monet's are pretty pricey.  A really good system is the Doug Elliott where you buy a rim, a cup, and a shank.  You can mix and match to suit your needs (shank and cup have to be matched to each other, though).  A similar system (cups and backbores) can be had from Warburton.  I've tried both and can say they both are great mouthpieces.

As to your "awesome" trombone, it really depends on what you want to do.  Premium grade horns are custom assembled from parts and are fairly expensive (although nowhere near as expensive as a good woodwind or orchestral string).  There are three prime makers: Rath, Edwards, and Shires.  If you want the most expensive, a Thein is more expensive (you can buy better but you can't pay more).

A good double trigger bass from any of the three custom houses lists for around $7,000.
A good symphonic tenor from any of the three lists for around $5500.
A good jazz tenor (straight horn) lists for around $4000.

If you don't plan to play professionally there are some really fine instruments from Bach, Conn, Yamaha, Courtois, and others.
ttf_vegasbound
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:58 am

Suggestions

Post by ttf_vegasbound » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:50 am

Mike

First are you wanting to play tenor or Bass?

secondly even if you are going to follow a pro route then Bach Conn Yamaha Courtois King and others make great pro level horns used by many many players!

third, I hope your having lessons with a trombone teacher, then have discussions with him/her....he/she will know you and your playing and development, use what they know ask questions it is what your paying for!

4th if your not having lessons get a teacher!!
ttf_crazytrombonist505
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:59 am

Suggestions

Post by ttf_crazytrombonist505 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:29 am

Quote from: vegasbound on Apr 16, 2017, 01:50AMthird, I hope your having lessons with a trombone teacher, then have discussions with him/her....he/she will know you and your playing and development, use what they know ask questions it is what your paying for!

4th if your not having lessons get a teacher!!

I'd have to agree with Vegasbound. You really do need a teacher to help you in your development, and giving you advice in equipment choice.
ttf_anonymous
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:09 pm

Suggestions

Post by ttf_anonymous » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:16 am

None of us know anything about you, so any specific advice we could give you about what to buy/play would be of, at best, limited value. You need in-person guidance from a competent trombone teacher.

Your profile says that you're headed to Arkansas Tech. You don't mention what you're going to major in.

Looking at the ATU website, they seem to have a pretty good size music department, with a faculty member (Dr. Sean Reed) teaching trombone (along with jazz studies). Even if you aren't a music major, it might be possible to take lessons from the him through the university.
ttf_MikeStew
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:34 pm

Suggestions

Post by ttf_MikeStew » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:36 pm

Sorry for the late reply! Graduation is really taking a toll on me. Thank you guys so much for your replies

Quote from: JohnL on Apr 16, 2017, 09:16AMNone of us know anything about you, so any specific advice we could give you about what to buy/play would be of, at best, limited value. You need in-person guidance from a competent trombone teacher.

Your profile says that you're headed to Arkansas Tech. You don't mention what you're going to major in.

I'm not really looking for someone to pair me to an instrument. I just want to know what you guys are using so that I can give them a try. I am going to major in Electrical Engineering so I can't be in the orchestral band but the concert and marching band is open to me and I really want to do concert but marching is a little iffy.

Quote from: vegasbound on Apr 16, 2017, 01:50AMMike

First are you wanting to play tenor or Bass?

third, I hope your having lessons with a trombone teacher, then have discussions with him/her....he/she will know you and your playing and development, use what they know ask questions it is what your paying for!

4th if your not having lessons get a teacher!!

I really don't live close enough to a big city for me to drive out for lessons. I know that I really should but the closest place is a 45 minute drive so I've been putting off lessons until college. I never really played bass part on the bass bone. I do want to play tenor.

Quote from: BGuttman on Apr 15, 2017, 02:50PMLindberg mouthpieces have a reputation of being "cookie cutters" because if you use a lot of pressure of mouthpiece against lips you will find it tends to cut into them.  Lindberg must use very little pressure because he sure sounds nice on his.

Dang. I use so much pressure that it would probably tear me a new one. They're just so unique looking.
ttf_BGuttman
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:15 pm

Suggestions

Post by ttf_BGuttman » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:51 pm

So if you are planning to buy a new trombone, you can stay on the 5G (although I'd replace the Megatone with a standard one).  A nice Yamaha 620 or 882 Xeno might be a good choice, but a good used almost anything would probably do.  Especially for Marching Band.

If you can find one, the Benge 190 was a great large bore trombone that just didn't make it in popularity.  There is a straight one, an F-attachment one, and a convertible (straight or F-attachment).  I'm kinda partial to Kings and like the King 4B-F and 5B as well.
ttf_MikeStew
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:34 pm

Suggestions

Post by ttf_MikeStew » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:10 pm

Quote from: BGuttman on Apr 20, 2017, 07:51PMSo if you are planning to buy a new trombone, you can stay on the 5G (although I'd replace the Megatone with a standard one).  A nice Yamaha 620 or 882 Xeno might be a good choice, but a good used almost anything would probably do.  Especially for Marching Band.

If you can find one, the Benge 190 was a great large bore trombone that just didn't make it in popularity.  There is a straight one, an F-attachment one, and a convertible (straight or F-attachment).  I'm kinda partial to Kings and like the King 4B-F and 5B as well.

I'll definitely be looking into Benge 190. I really want something that looks weird and unique. Something that sticks out and turns head. 
ttf_BGuttman
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:15 pm

Suggestions

Post by ttf_BGuttman » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:07 pm

Quote from: MikeStew on Apr 20, 2017, 08:10PMI'll definitely be looking into Benge 190. I really want something that looks weird and unique. Something that sticks out and turns head. 

If that's the goal, see if you can find a Buccin (dragon head trombone).  Not too many of them available outside museums, though.

Another oddity would be a "flat wrap" F-attachment trombone.  Like an older Olds or an early Conn.  But those will take a small shank mouthpiece.

Nowadys you don't see many Benge, Holton, Olds, or King (large bore) trombones.
ttf_MikeStew
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:34 pm

Suggestions

Post by ttf_MikeStew » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:05 am

Quote from: BGuttman on Apr 20, 2017, 09:07PMNowadys you don't see many Benge, Holton, Olds, or King (large bore) trombones.

I had a chance to play on a benge 165f because the bass trombone was leaking and was sent to shop. I don't know if the 190 is like it but the trigger was much too high and hurt my hand and it was pretty heavy. For awhile after college my girlfriend is going to lend me her f-attachment holton.
ttf_Blackthorne
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:00 pm

Suggestions

Post by ttf_Blackthorne » Thu May 11, 2017 3:42 pm

Quote from: BGuttman on Apr 20, 2017, 09:07PMIf that's the goal, see if you can find a Buccin (dragon head trombone).  Not too many of them available outside museums, though.
   
I wonder if anyone would custom make one.  I saw an article on them that was posted on The Last Trombone, and the author mentioned that Osmun made a slide for him, but I have no idea if they'd do a bell section or not.  I'd love to have a buccin not just for my collection, but to play occasionally.  If the OP wants something unique, that would definitely fit the bill.
ttf_BGuttman
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:15 pm

Suggestions

Post by ttf_BGuttman » Thu May 11, 2017 4:09 pm

Quote from: Blackthorne on May 11, 2017, 03:42PM   
I wonder if anyone would custom make one.  I saw an article on them that was posted on The Last Trombone, and the author mentioned that Osmun made a slide for him, but I have no idea if they'd do a bell section or not.  I'd love to have a buccin not just for my collection, but to play occasionally.  If the OP wants something unique, that would definitely fit the bill.

Yamaha actually made a Buccin.  It's on the Doug Yeo video of his visit to the Yamaha factory.

If anybody is game to make one, I think Wessex Tubas likes to make the odd and interesting.

Or you can try somebody like BAC, who seems to like doing the unusual

Expect it to be fairly pricey, though. Image
ttf_MikeStew
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:34 pm

Suggestions

Post by ttf_MikeStew » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:19 pm

It's been awhile but I've finally got my horn. It is a blessing BTB-88. I found it for $300 on the Facebook marketplace and I just couldn't let that kind of deal go. Thank you everyone for helping me out!
ttf_davdud101
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:00 pm

Suggestions

Post by ttf_davdud101 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:42 pm

Quote from: MikeStew on Aug 14, 2017, 12:19PMIt's been awhile but I've finally got my horn. It is a blessing BTB-88. I found it for $300 on the Facebook marketplace and I just couldn't let that kind of deal go. Thank you everyone for helping me out!

That was a pretty quick and intense change of events from the expected.
ttf_MikeStew
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:34 pm

Suggestions

Post by ttf_MikeStew » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:52 pm

Quote from: davdud101 on Aug 14, 2017, 12:42PMThat was a pretty quick and intense change of events from the expected.

Yeahhh after paying for college, my standards dropped considerably.
ttf_MikeStew
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:34 pm

Suggestions

Post by ttf_MikeStew » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:52 pm

Quote from: davdud101 on Aug 14, 2017, 12:42PMThat was a pretty quick and intense change of events from the expected.

Yeahhh after paying for college, my standards dropped considerably.
Post Reply

Return to “Beginners and Returning Trombonists”