Hearing loss

ttf_anonymous

Hearing loss

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi, I´m new here on this page. Living in Denmark. I need some advice on a hearing loss issue. I am 73 y old. Last year I had a small perforation on my left ear drum. Has been operated twice without 100% succes, still with unacceptable hearing-perf. My right ear is well functional. I use in ear-state of the arts-hearing aids on both sides. Problem is, that I have problems hearing myself, when we, our Brass Band, perform. Due to the fact that my ear-plugs amplify the "noise" created by the band.   Do you have any experiences with wired amplifiers and an ear plug connected to a small microphone on/in the tube of the trombone? That way I can/will probably hear myself better and will avoid to loose track or get unsecure whilst playing, and that way lower my tone level additional, resulting in. . . you can figure out yourself. At home I use a Yamaha silentBrass, in order not to disturb my surroundings. The little amplifier has a "Aux"-plug. Maybe I can use it for the microphone? Hope you can give me some advice, and Thank You in advance. BR
ttf_Geordie

Hearing loss

Post by ttf_Geordie »

Everyone's hearing loss is different. I remove my hearing aids when playing in bands.  Am able to hear what I need.  Alternatively, have you considered removing one of your hearing aids when playing in the band?
ttf_Alfred

Hearing loss

Post by ttf_Alfred »

Quote from: Geordie on Nov 19, 2017, 09:23AMEveryone's hearing loss is different. I remove my hearing aids when playing in bands.  Am able to hear what I need.  Alternatively, have you considered removing one of your hearing aids when playing in the band?You can be lucky if it works that way for you. And Yes, it helped me to remove both and/or one of them. But it was not sufficient enough. I will try and keep the hearing aid in the worst ear and see if I can get ahead with that. I think an adjustable mic might help too.

ttf_Max Croot

Hearing loss

Post by ttf_Max Croot »

Hi I had this problem when I had hearing aids that were in the ear. My Audiologist who is also a performer fitted me with behind the ear aids and made me moulded ear pieces. I now have no problems with hearing myself or the balance of the band, but we have a lady conductor who talks  too fast and I can't understand what she says as we trombones sit in the back row. I don't know about your country but here in Australia us oldies get free hearing tests and hearing aids and if you need better ones you can update. Good luck. Max.
ttf_Max Croot

Hearing loss

Post by ttf_Max Croot »

Hi I had this problem when I had hearing aids that were in the ear. My Audiologist who is also a performer fitted me with behind the ear aids and made me moulded ear pieces. I now have no problems with hearing myself or the balance of the band, but we have a lady conductor who talks  too fast and I can't understand what she says as we trombones sit in the back row. I don't know about your country but here in Australia us oldies get free hearing tests and hearing aids and if you need better ones you can update. Good luck. Max.

Return to “Practice Room”