The switch from trombone to trumpet

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hello,

Right now I'm a trombone player and it's the only brass I'm playing. I'd like to start playing trumpet for a variety of reason but meanly for teaching. I don't intend of getting a gig on trumpet anytime soon!
A lot of people tell stories about you can lose your ''buzz'' on you main instrument if you start playing another brass.
I wonder how those of you who are playing both instruments, how do you approche your daily practice on both?
ttf_trombonemetal

Post by ttf_trombonemetal »

I teach maybe 4-6 hours of trumpet lessons per week, and for the beginners I like to play trumpet. For a while I used a normal trumpet mouthpiece. That was ok but it felt weird switching back and forth but I don’t think it messed up my buzz. Over the summer I picked up a used Chansons Hybrid mouthpiece. It’s an 11 rim with a silly shallow cup and trumpetthroat  back bore and shank. This took some getting used to, but switching is very easy. I don’t even notice. This is similar to what Wycliffe gordon plays. I actually think it has improved my trombone tone. It does pull the trumpet a tiny bit flat but not much.
ttf_BoneCall

Post by ttf_BoneCall »

If you keep your practice up then any weirdness it will have with your trombone playing will be short-lived. What usually happens is that less experienced players will start using their trombone practice time to practice the trumpet, then wonder why their trombone playing is suffering. Particularly early on, it is vital that you maintain your current levels of practice on trombone in addition to practising the trumpet so you can separate the muscle memory for the different embouchures.

As far as practising always practice what you need to be able to do. So if you're going to be swapping between trumpet and trombone rapidly then practice that. Otherwise, approach it like you do practising the trombone (many of the popular etudes and methods are the same). Also, I would advise that you do try and get a gig on trumpet. Nothing serious, but playing with a community ensemble or something. It gives you access to players who might point out flaws in your technique, and it provides a push for improvement.

ttf_afugate

Post by ttf_afugate »

I was never able to play trumpet with any appreciable facility until I had a couple of lessons from Doug Elliott to correct some things in my embouchure.  Now, I find that I'm able to play just about anything brass, to varying degrees, of course.  I routinely go back and forth between tuba, trombone and trumpet these days.

--Andy in OKC
ttf_VVJOFan

Post by ttf_VVJOFan »

I recently finished my annual Remembrance Day bugler impersonation. It went well.

I have been doing stints of trombone and trumpet regularly for several years. Sometimes I play both instruments back and forth and other times I end up playing one for a longer period. Usually there is no issue.

The end of last year I played only trumpet for about six months. When I went back to trombone I felt a bit of what you are talking about. I sounded fine but it just felt weird and certain things didn't work with range and articulation. It took about two weeks of lip flexibility and Caruso style timing exercises to get it back.

But normally switching hasn't been a problem if I do two things. I have a two or three minute free buzz=> mp buzz=> horn routine that helps me find the center of whatever embouchure I am making. I also adjust how much air I try to push through the horn. A trumpet needs less flow than a trombone. A tuba needs more. There are different semantic ways to talk about the air volume or intensity but the fact is it is different for different brass instruments. When the embouchure is centered for the instrument and the air flow is appropriate things usually work okay.
ttf_davdud101

Post by ttf_davdud101 »

Quote from: VJOFan on Nov 23, 2017, 05:54AMBut normally switching hasn't been a problem if I do two things. I have a two or three minute free buzz=> mp buzz=> horn routine that helps me find the center of whatever embouchure I am making. I also adjust how much air I try to push through the horn. A trumpet needs less flow than a trombone. A tuba needs more. There are different semantic ways to talk about the air volume or intensity but the fact is it is different for different brass instruments. When the embouchure is centered for the instrument and the air flow is appropriate things usually work okay.

I've experienced it similarly too. I haven't had LONG periods of stricly playing trumpet, ut since I started on trombone I have gone up to 1.5 months NOT playing trombone to find that things aren't working exactly as they should - usually the thing that gets me set back up is some "loud playing" - forte to fortissimo with my best tone, so my body gets a sense for how much airflow is needed to play at the highest necessary volume, and my embouchure sets for the size and shape it needs to be to play at any dynamic therein.
Loud playing helps me a bit in me warmups too on all brass as far as getting the embouchure awake and pliable.

That's just me though... I don't like the term "loud" myself as it's brash and sounds hurtful, but "strong" or "intense" don't seem to carry the exact proper meaning either.
ttf_Radar

Post by ttf_Radar »

Quote from: VJOFan on Nov 23, 2017, 05:54AMI recently finished my annual Remembrance Day bugler impersonation. It went well.

I have been doing stints of trombone and trumpet regularly for several years. Sometimes I play both instruments back and forth and other times I end up playing one for a longer period. Usually there is no issue.

The end of last year I played only trumpet for about six months. When I went back to trombone I felt a bit of what you are talking about. I sounded fine but it just felt weird and certain things didn't work with range and articulation. It took about two weeks of lip flexibility and Caruso style timing exercises to get it back.

But normally switching hasn't been a problem if I do two things. I have a two or three minute free buzz=> mp buzz=> horn routine that helps me find the center of whatever embouchure I am making. I also adjust how much air I try to push through the horn. A trumpet needs less flow than a trombone. A tuba needs more. There are different semantic ways to talk about the air volume or intensity but the fact is it is different for different brass instruments. When the embouchure is centered for the instrument and the air flow is appropriate things usually work okay.
I do the same thing pick up a trumpet to play Taps for Memorial, and Veterans day, I have no problem with playing taps, but I do find my endurance on Trumpet is very limited, I'm sure because I don't play it regularly.  I actually find that my tone on larger mouthpieces seems to improve (ie: more focused) after picking up trumpet for a week to prepare for Taps.

ttf_Radar

Post by ttf_Radar »

Quote from: VJOFan on Nov 23, 2017, 05:54AMI recently finished my annual Remembrance Day bugler impersonation. It went well.

I do the same thing pick up a trumpet to play Taps for Memorial, and Veterans day, I have no problem with playing taps, but I do find my endurance on Trumpet is very limited, I'm sure because I don't play it regularly.  I actually find that my tone on larger mouthpieces seems to improve (ie: more focused) after picking up trumpet for a week to prepare for Taps.

Return to “Practice Room”