Switching sides?

ttf_johntarr

Switching sides?

Post by ttf_johntarr »

Many years ago when I was an undergrad at UNC Greeley, some of the jazz trumpet players were practicing their patterns with the left hand as well as the right. Their reasoning was that it made the patterns stick better.

I’ve been experimenting with this on the trombone recently and it seems to be helping. It’s like learning from the start and the sound is very different when the bell is resting on my right shoulder. I’m specifically doing it on a Bach Oratorio in trying to get the runs better. I seem to be able to memorize the passages without really trying to memorize them. Of course it might just be because I’m practicing and the improvements have nothing to do with switching sides.

I can imagine that there are neurological explanations as to why this may be helpful but I’m wondering if any of you have tired this, and if so, to what effects?
ttf_Whitbey

Switching sides?

Post by ttf_Whitbey »

I used to switch sides easily. Then I got old. When I was younger and played bass bone in a big band, I would flip the horn over when I needed to read the 3rd bone part. My eyesight was more flexible as was my body.
The hand coordination is the easy part.
I would be careful about the MP position on the chops. Most players tilt a little to the left to make the right arm longer. If you switch slides you are going to change your line up. 
ttf_Whitbey

Switching sides?

Post by ttf_Whitbey »

I used to switch sides easily. Then I got old. When I was younger and played bass bone in a big band, I would flip the horn over when I needed to read the 3rd bone part. My eyesight was more flexible as was my body.
The hand coordination is the easy part.
I would be careful about the MP position on the chops. Most players tilt a little to the left to make the right arm longer. If you switch slides you are going to change your line up. 

Return to “Practice Room”