Larsson for Solo and Ensemble

ttf_invisiblejew

Post by ttf_invisiblejew »

I've been working on the Larsson Concertino for college auditions and solo and ensemble, and while I was able to get a 1 at district solo and ensemble, my judge told me that he really wants to hear me play everything in time and follow the tempo instructions throughout the piece. I practiced it taking many liberties with the tempo, like taking the beginning very fast up to the G and then slowing down and and speeding up to the Bb above the staff. I messed with the tempo like that throughout the piece and I have a whole layout for what I want, but he seems to want it a specific way. My question is, should I continue practicing it the way I have it for state, or should I play it how he wants it?
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

A lot of times adjudicators will assume major changes in tempo ae a "tough parts slow, easy pats fast" crutch.

You will probably score higher if you play it as written; especially with an adjudicator who is familiar with the piece.
ttf_patrickosmith

Post by ttf_patrickosmith »

If you're auditioning for an ensemble, playing with perfect, disciplined time is essential. Everything should be perfectly "square" (no rubato, no changes in time, absoluting perfectly placed dotted eighth followed by 16th, etc.).
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

It can be hard to tell the difference between taking liberties with the tempo and being unable to keep a steady tempo.

I would err on the side of caution in a judging situation. 
ttf_GetzenBassPlayer

Post by ttf_GetzenBassPlayer »

The tempos need to make sense in terms of the music. I would listen to some recordings to help give you some direction into how the music more commonly played.
ttf_invisiblejew

Post by ttf_invisiblejew »

All the recordings I've listened to have different tempos. It's meant to be played as a giant cadenza, so each person plays it differently. I've taken it to a few college professors and they've told me to experiment with it and mess with the tempos instead of playing it the same throughout, and my private teacher has told me the same. I appreciate and understand the responses, but the judge's comments just seem to contradict the point of the piece.
ttf_patrickosmith

For movement 1, you can for sure take liberties with the tempo in a cadenza style. For movements 2 & 3, you'd probably be best off playing in perfectly strict tempos while using dynamics and phrasing to make the music come alive.
ttf_patrickosmith

For movement 1, you can for sure take liberties with the tempo in a cadenza style. For movements 2 & 3, you'd probably be best off playing in perfectly strict tempos while using dynamics and phrasing to make the music come alive.

Return to “Practice Room”