Interpretation of "palsied hand"

ttf_MrPillow

Post by ttf_MrPillow »

Hello all. Browsing some old newspaper clippings I came across this entry -

The Morning Tulsa daily world. (Tulsa, Okla.), 17 Oct. 1920. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress. <http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/ ... -1/seq-35/>

Under "Await Jazz Trombone," the author states -

QuoteEurope will not have real jazz, however, until she introduces saxaphone, unknown here, and the trombone player with the palsied hand
Does anyone have any interpretive guesses as to what what a "palsied hand" might be in reference to? I have some thoughts, but would like to hear what others gather from this excerpt.
ttf_LowrBrass

Post by ttf_LowrBrass »

Ha! Good synonym for chainsaw slide vibrato  Image
ttf_kbiggs

Post by ttf_kbiggs »

Perhaps a trombonist known for using vibrato frequently? Or perhaps a certain style of vibrato that was popular in the 20's, e.g., fast and frequent?

I'm rather ignorant of early 20th century jazz. Perhaps the author is referring to Jack Teagarden? Trummy Young? Maybe Dicky Wells? I believe he toured Europe--Paris?--in the teens or 20's. 
ttf_baileyman

Post by ttf_baileyman »

Seems like the "involuntary tremors" part of the definition would suggest slide vibrato. 

ttf_jack

Post by ttf_jack »

I believe Leopold (father of Wolfgang Amadeus) Mozart wrote of palsy in relation incessant vibrato by string players.  He thought, correctly in my opinion, it was bad thing.
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Yeah, must be "vibrato".

So that guy is commenting from Europe? And there are no (invented in Europe) saxophones?

I wonder if he had ever heard Arthur Pryor. That's a more severe vibrato than anything you'll hear on a "jazz" recording of that era.

I'm always skeptical of any use of the word "jazz" that early because they seemed to apply it almost any dance music that was odd in some way. They might talk about having heard some "jazz" but it's hard to know what they encountered.   

ttf_conn88plyr

Post by ttf_conn88plyr »

Quote from: LowrBrass on Sep 26, 2016, 07:14PMHa! Good synonym for chainsaw slide vibrato  Image
Agreed!
ttf_jakeway1

Post by ttf_jakeway1 »

Si Zentner
ttf_M.R.Tenor

Post by ttf_M.R.Tenor »

Si Zentner would've been a toddler at the time the article was written...
ttf_M.R.Tenor

Post by ttf_M.R.Tenor »

Si Zentner would've been a toddler at the time the article was written...

Return to “History of the Trombone”